Topic: strumming patterns

I am a beginner and I know several chords.  I am now trying to apply these chords to songs heard on the radio.  My problem is that I haven't developed an ear yet to be able to strum these chords to make it sound halfway decent.  Are there any particular strumming patterns or does it depend on each individual song?  Please, any suggestions will help!

Re: strumming patterns

Hi junas and welcome to Chordie and the forums if no one has welcomed you yet!  One of the trickiest things (after learning chords) is to learn different strum patterns and apply them.  The more you play, the more you'll start to hear the different patterns.  There are so many different pattern possibilities, and while that's the beauty of the guitar, it helps to have something to start with.  Remember that MOST (not all) songs are in some type of 4 beats per measure so try what you can to fit a pattern into 4 beats (tap your foot and strum).  There's a few ideas here:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11132 - when I started I did a basic down-up-down to four beats... some do down-up-down-up as it fits easily with one strum per foot tap.  If you have a song in particular that you want help with, you can ask here on chordie or even go to youtube and search for the song along with the word "tutorial" and they will usually include a strumming pattern along with chord progression.  Above all... practice!  Good Luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

junas, welcome to chordie.
Playing along with the radio gives you a chance to try out songs and find ones you like best.
Make a list of tunes you want to add to your repetroir and try to find them on U-Tube. Add the ones on U-Tube to your favorites so you can pull them up and study them anytime. You can also back these vids up to get the necessary repititions to clear everything up and get you up to speed. It helps to drill a difficult passage or lick over and over at a slower speed until you get it right. Happy song collecting,
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I have the same problem. I have no ear for keys, notes, strumming, etc.

Toots nailed it with youtube. That's how I learn. I need to be shown how to do it. I search for lessons on the songs I want to learn and watch them over and ove until I get it.

Check out:
yourguitarsage
martyzsongs
gally042
siggi5153
justinsandercoe

all on youtube. very good teachers.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!