Topic: Edge binding

Hi all!!!!

Anyone know a way to brighten up edge binding? The white has turned an ugly yellow.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Edge binding

It happens with age and the best advice I can offer is to learn to love it. Some of the yellowing will be from the materials exposure to sunlight and some from the finish yellowing for the same reason. There's no economically viable way of fixing it...   I mean you could sand through the clear, remove the top layer of material, and then refinish but I'm sure you'll agree that it's too much trouble just for some yellowing. I actually like the look of some age on a guitar myself smile

I've discussed using UV inhibitors in the finish to prevent yellowing of the top and bindings with other luthiers and it's not a popular idea. Most people just seem to like the age to show on a guitar...  When I get a new guitar, one of the first things I do is start exposing it to the sun to go ahead and get some color on the top.... I don't like a bleached top look.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

It happens with age and the best advice I can offer is to learn to love it. Some of the yellowing will be from the materials exposure to sunlight and some from the finish yellowing for the same reason. There's no economically viable way of fixing it...   I mean you could sand through the clear, remove the top layer of material, and then refinish but I'm sure you'll agree that it's too much trouble just for some yellowing. I actually like the look of some age on a guitar myself smile

I've discussed using UV inhibitors in the finish to prevent yellowing of the top and bindings with other luthiers and it's not a popular idea. Most people just seem to like the age to show on a guitar...  When I get a new guitar, one of the first things I do is start exposing it to the sun to go ahead and get some color on the top.... I don't like a bleached top look.

I agree with you Pix, I like the yellowing on my guitars. It's a costant reminder of how far I've come in my playing.

Yep, Pix is right. Leave it alone and be proud.

Now available in 5G !

My 1960 Gibson looks bad enough. These days, with the onset of geezerhood, I now look like 50 miles of bad road.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

It's really ugly tho. The guitar isn't that pretty to begin with. It's my Art & Lutherie. Black satin finish, not much to look at really. And with the yellowed binding it just looks sad.  guess there's not much I can do with it so it will stay as it is.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I  will trade you my old yamaha for your gibson,yellow and all,I do not reall know of any fixes as pix and others told you maybe leave it alone, old gibsons sound so good I do not think looks will hurt any.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman