Topic: Going mad as hell.

Hi everybody just wondering can you people help me out. I been playing acoustic for about three months now and I find I always have to have a capo on the second fret of my guitar. I find if I play without a capo the music from my guitar drowns my voice out - some might say that's not a bad thing !!!!! A lot of people have told me that I am cheating, because the finger changes are a bit easier when using the capo on the second fret. My question is am I really cheating, because it suits my voice range just fine?. And does it look plain stupid to always have a capo on the second fret of my guitar. Thank-you all in advance for your help, because I feel not so motivated just as this moment.

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

Re: Going mad as hell.

Hi Yourself!

Cheat all you want!  It's really fine, you have found the "key" that suits your voice, which is a good thing.  Use the capo and don't worry about it because the other option would be for you to tune up 2 semitones which would over stress your instrument. 

Most important is to keep doing what works for you and sounds correct to you.  Believe me that EVERYBODY has a capo and it is either parked on the headstock or in use.  Most folks that think it looks "stupid" likely don't know what a useful tool it is or why the thing was invented in the first place.

Keep Playing & Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks very much my man I feel the confidence coming back thanks a million.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Hi Yourself!

Cheat all you want!  It's really fine, you have found the "key" that suits your voice, which is a good thing.  Use the capo and don't worry about it because the other option would be for you to tune up 2 semitones which would over stress your instrument. 

Most important is to keep doing what works for you and sounds correct to you.  Believe me that EVERYBODY has a capo and it is either parked on the headstock or in use.  Most folks that think it looks "stupid" likely don't know what a useful tool it is or why the thing was invented in the first place.

Keep Playing & Take Care;
Doug

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

I use a capo in alot of my playing,and it's not so I can use easier chords, it's to change the key. Trust me if a capo was cheating, than power chords are REALY CHEATING!!!!!

Nice one never looked at it that way my friend thanks a lot

jcellini wrote:

I use a capo in alot of my playing,and it's not so I can use easier chords, it's to change the key. Trust me if a capo was cheating, than power chords are REALY CHEATING!!!!!

I use a capo a lot. Mainly to suit my voice but also to avoid too many barre chords. It also gives a different sound which is also nice sometimes.

But if your guitar is easier to play, as in easier to press the strings to the fret board, when the capo is on then maybe you should look at getting the action on your guitar checked out. Maybe it's ajust a bit to high. Your local music shop should be able to set it up for you.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

CAPOS B GOOD!!!!!

Cheating or not, it is what makes you feel good and sound better that is important.  Everyone plays and sings differently.  I take a lot of shortcuts with chords because they are easier for me and they sound just as good.  Always do it your way.  There is no better way for you than your way.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My one and only rule for music - If it sounds good, it is good.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

My one and only rule for music - If it sounds good, it is good.

Bingo.

Capos are not cheating.  No way, no how.  No more than using a screw driver to twist a screw is cheating.  It's the right tool for the job. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Astro5mile, just curious - what chords are you playing when you capo the 2nd fret? If you are playing G, C & D your key is "A". If you are playing C, F & G your key is "D". If you are playing A, D & E your key is "B". You said that without the capo the music drowns out your voice, thats what got me confused. But by all means - use a capo. It's not cheating - it's the best tool you have if you know where and how to place it to get the sound you want / need. Awhile back I got Topdown to help me post a capo conversion chart on the forum. It's a great tool to use and it;s very easy to read. Take a look at it (if you haven't already). Sometimes you may want to capo up and try Bb or Eb as your key. I know a lotta ladies who sing in that key.

Nela

Astro,

Don't let anybody give you any guff for using a capo. I'm pretty sure that we all use them and there are as many reasons as there are people.  The capo is a tool, just like a thumb pick is a tool or a distortion pedal is a tool.  There's lots of tools for guitars and guitarists.  Some of us are obsessed with acquiring them all!  Use them as you want to explore the instrument and find your own path.

Now available in 5G !

Thanks a lot . To be honest I am only a beginner and I really haven't a clue as to what cords I play when using the capo. sorry but thanks for your comment.

NELA wrote:

Astro5mile, just curious - what chords are you playing when you capo the 2nd fret? If you are playing G, C & D your key is "A". If you are playing C, F & G your key is "D". If you are playing A, D & E your key is "B". You said that without the capo the music drowns out your voice, thats what got me confused. But by all means - use a capo. It's not cheating - it's the best tool you have if you know where and how to place it to get the sound you want / need. Awhile back I got Topdown to help me post a capo conversion chart on the forum. It's a great tool to use and it;s very easy to read. Take a look at it (if you haven't already). Sometimes you may want to capo up and try Bb or Eb as your key. I know a lotta ladies who sing in that key.

Nela

Good advice thank you but my guitar is ok it's just my voice can't hit the notes unless i USE THE CAPO

alvee33 wrote:

I use a capo a lot. Mainly to suit my voice but also to avoid too many barre chords. It also gives a different sound which is also nice sometimes.

But if your guitar is easier to play, as in easier to press the strings to the fret board, when the capo is on then maybe you should look at getting the action on your guitar checked out. Maybe it's ajust a bit to high. Your local music shop should be able to set it up for you.

Thank you Pete great advice I really appreciate the time and effort thank you.

bensonp wrote:

Cheating or not, it is what makes you feel good and sound better that is important.  Everyone plays and sings differently.  I take a lot of shortcuts with chords because they are easier for me and they sound just as good.  Always do it your way.  There is no better way for you than your way.

Who told you using a capo is cheating? What do they know!

No such thing as cheating. If it works, it's good.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

astro5mile wrote:

Thanks a lot . To be honest I am only a beginner and I really haven't a clue as to what cords I play when using the capo. sorry but thanks for your comment.

NELA wrote:

Nela

I believe what NELA meant to ask was what chord shapes are you playing?  Meaning, if you're playing the G, C and D shapes with the capo on the second fret then you are actually playing in the key of A.  That's good to know, because then you could look into songs that utilize the key of A without the capo as your voice might sound good there without it.  Just a thought to help you try some more chords without using the capo. 

Of course, you don't need to... if you're happy then just use the heck outta that thing!  I have been using my capo more and more these days to be able to play simple chord shapes on songs that would otherwise be more complex.  I don't consider it cheating, just an easier way to play more stuff when your fingers aren't ready for the more difficult shapes!  smile  Plus, it's a heck of a lot easier to just throw the capo on than to try to transpose sometimes!  Easy does not equal cheating

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

There are many tunes that I have learned, that I need a capo on the second or third fret.  It's all about finding the right key for my voice.   So capo away and ignore the naysayers.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg