1 (edited by mozzy 2010-05-23 05:20:56)

Topic: who is considerd the best gituar player

who is considerd the best gituarist just by means of intrest

Re: who is considerd the best gituar player

Welcome to the forum Mozzy. 

Hard to say. There's guys like Segovia and other guys like Andy McKee and then still other guys like Eric Clapton.  How do you compare Segovia to Clapton?  Each are incredible in their own style, and arguments can be made that each is the best living player in their style.  Yet arguments can be made that there are others who are better.  Then you take Leo Kottke who created his own playing style, and then think of Andy McKee who improved on it.  Which of those two is better?  Each is amazing, and each is innovative.  But who's better?  I don't know. 

All that said, I think everyone can agree that Stevie Ray Vaughan deserves mention.  Put all that other stuff aside, and he's just awesome.  Watching his hands while he plays, it's just effortless.  I can't even keep up with what he's doing, but it's completely effortless looking.  Same for Doc Watson.  I don't know if you like country folk music, but even if you don't, pull up a chair and nice cup of whatever you like to sip upon (some peppermint tea with honey would be good) and watch some Doc Watson videos on Youtube.  The man is faster than lightning.  He'll rip out 40 notes and you won't even see his hands move.  Malmsteen has nothing on him for speed.

Speaking of musicians who can play across styles and are innovative, you have to mention Malmsteen.  He may be the epitome of it - someone who has taken Classical stylings and turned them into heavy metal is one heck of an innovator. 

But don't forget Roy Clark.  He can play the back of a guitar better than most people can play the front.  Forget about the Hee Haw schtick.  Roy Clark is one amazing musician.  Bear in mind that he earns his money from country, but his main musical love is jazz.  What he plays on stage isn't even his best work!  Oh, I'm sure he loves doing it and puts his heart into it and I mean no disrespect, but his main love is jazz. 

I guess my point is that it's hard to say "best."  But I think we can all agree, they're all better than me.  Though there are surely some mutants on Chordie who can give some of these guys a run for the money.  Or the glory, because Chordie doesn't pay. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

3 (edited by Russell_Harding 2010-05-23 14:14:17)

I tend to agree with Zurf no one guitarist is the "greatest" because of all the different styles or genres of music I think there is a level that is invisible and endless waiting for the next musician or vocalist to take there place, some will arrive there by raw talent and genius others with hard work dedication and determination it favors no instrument we recognize these as "stars" some even worship them and erect shrines some copy them because they lack the originality and vicariously live there lives comparing themselves to there idols we can find them anytime on You tube smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I agree, everyone has their favorites at different types of music. Texas Blues , Stevie Ray did it for me. Then how do you compare Stevie Ray with Chet Atkins or Jerry Reed or Merle Travis , Doc Watson. Everyone has favorites and does that make them the best , no but each have a unique style that made them a treasure to watch and listen to.

After seeing Eric Clapton at the Crossroads festival and just about every Great Guitar player was there for a 3-day Guitar Lovers Dream. I don't think Clapton was the best by a long shot but his "Tone" I thought was the best and he really plays with feeling.

I watched many of the players jam during the 3-days and Jimmie Vaughn played in nearly every jam , one that was especially cool was with Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, BB King, John Mayer all great players , but the guy I thought was best jam musician and ready without a cue at all times to pick it up and keep things tight was Jimmie Vaughn and I don't think he would make anyones top list of guitar players but just a wonderful musician.

Then move on to Bluegrass, and how do you compare Tony Rice, Clarence White, or many of the great Flatpickers with others.

I say enjoy them all and be thankful they have given us such a great variety to enjoy

Later, Wayne P

Wall of guitarists website delivers a bewildering fine selection:

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/Wall/wallofguitarists.html

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

6 (edited by badeye 2010-05-24 00:10:24)

Jeff Healy, needs to be on that list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H0gvJPw … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJh3KaIKDAw

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Realize party people that this is a subjective issue and there is no correct or incorrect answer, here are this posters' selections.

Deceased;
1) Michael Hedges 2) Django Reinhardt 3) Jimi Hendrix

--Honorable Mention; Jerry Garcia, Stevie Ray Vaughan, George Harrison, Roy Buchanan, Andres Segovia, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Danny Gatton, Duane Allman, Carlos Montoya, Jerry Reed, Randy Rhoads, Shawn Lane, Toy Caldwell, Allen Collins, Albert King, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, Kurt Cobain, Frank Zappa and a near ifinite list of souls sprinklin' their musical dust upon those remaining on the planet

Living;
1) Jeff Beck 2) Steve Vai 3) Warren Haynes

--Honorable Mention; Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, Brad Paisley, Stephen Stills, Eric Johnson, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Pat Metheny, Alan Holdsworth, Tommy Emmanuel, Buckethead, Slash, Steve Morse, George Benson, Ry Cooder, Willie Nelson, Carlos Santana, Ritchie Blacmore, Al DiMeola, Mike Stern, Albert Collins, Dick Dale, Alvin Lee, Billy Gibbons, Paul Gilbert, Brian May, Lindsey Buckingham, Mark Knopfler, Angus Young, Kirk Hammett, Mike Campbell, Alex lifeson, John Petrucci, Michael Angelo Batio, Tommy Iommi, Brian Setzer, David Gilmour, Leslie West, and so many, many more............

Give everything but up.

Ding-dang-it !!! I forgot him !!! For sure he must be on the list !!!!!

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Realize party people that this is a subjective issue and there is no correct or incorrect answer, here are this posters' selections.

Deceased;
1) Michael Hedges 2) Django Reinhardt 3) Jimi Hendrix

--Honorable Mention; Jerry Garcia, Stevie Ray Vaughan, George Harrison, Roy Buchanan, Andres Segovia, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Danny Gatton, Duane Allman, Carlos Montoya, Jerry Reed, Randy Rhoads, Shawn Lane, Toy Caldwell, Allen Collins, Albert King, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, Kurt Cobain, Frank Zappa and a near ifinite list of souls sprinklin' their musical dust upon those remaining on the planet

Living;
1) Jeff Beck 2) Steve Vai 3) Warren Haynes

--Honorable Mention; Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, Brad Paisley, Stephen Stills, Eric Johnson, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Pat Metheny, Alan Holdsworth, Tommy Emmanuel, Buckethead, Slash, Steve Morse, George Benson, Ry Cooder, Willie Nelson, Carlos Santana, Ritchie Blacmore, Al DiMeola, Mike Stern, Albert Collins, Dick Dale, Alvin Lee, Billy Gibbons, Paul Gilbert, Brian May, Lindsey Buckingham, Mark Knopfler, Angus Young, Kirk Hammett, Mike Campbell, Alex lifeson, John Petrucci, Michael Angelo Batio, Tommy Iommi, Brian Setzer, David Gilmour, Leslie West, and so many, many more............

Suprised to see Jerry Garcia on the list....I'm a big fan of Jerry's playing (although live he does go "off" a bit. He almost never gets any recognition for his work. I think he's done some brilliant stuff especially the acoustic stuff......

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Jeff Healy is on that list. Graet list. I want to add a couple of people to it. Stephen Stills, and Lindsey Buckingham.

As mentioned above, I feel there are to many factors to take into account to name just one or even several.  But I have to say, if I was pushed, I loved the way Jimmy Page incorporated the acoustic sound into Zepplin's music and I think he'd get my vote.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Seems like the Rock and Blues players get most of the love but here's some of the Best Acoustic Players left out.

Tony Rice, Norman Blake, John Sebastian, Jorma Kaukonen, David Rawlings, Clarence White, David Bromberg, Monte Montgomery, Laurence Jubar, Peter Hutlingler, Richard Thompson, Buster B Jones, and Thom Bresh

Later, Wayne P

I've been listening to alot of Lindsey Buckingham. Never knew how good of a guitar player he really is. My favorite guitar player is Guy Davis.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

wow all those guitarist are true guns with the gat , one of my personal favourites is the late Roy Buchannen ,
i wouldn't be so bold to say he was the best , but i will say he was a true gun and more than capable
to jam with them all , the late Jimmy Hendrix , gave Roy a huge mention in an after concert interview .
Another favourite of mine is Brian Setzer , need i say more .

"The BEST" ! ? ...... well thats easy to answer ..... I am ..... aren't YOU ? ..... LOLOLOLOL

The way of the muso ....

RhythmNbalance

I do know that back in the day, some of the top players were, Jimi Hndrix, Glenn Campbell and Eric Clapton

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

sriously guys n gals when we look at how Chet Atkins and Glen Campbell, played melody, lead and base at the same time .... WoW....
that is serious talent.

The way of the muso ....

RhythmNbalance

Yes, I forgot Chet Atkins.  What a great player.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

If you're including Glen Campbell, then you have to include Roy Clark.  I have a friend who has heard them both off the stage state that Roy Clark plays the back of a guitar better than Glen Campbell plays the front, which was meant as a compliment to Roy Clark and not an insult to Glen Campbell.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude