1 (edited by canudigit 2010-06-09 17:13:18)

Topic: Tips and advice for switching chords.

Hello,

If you are having problems switching between chords, try this approach and see if it helps.

When going from one chord to another, look for common fingering in both chords and practice not moving those fingers.  The less finger movement between chords the better.

That takes care of the common fingers, now for the fingers that change between chords.

This is a biggie!  When moving from one chord to the next that require changing fingers, practice moving all fingers at the same time when switching to the next chord.

In my experience, just about everyone tries to move un common fingers one at a time which inhibits switching between chords. 

Summary:

Look at the chord your playing and the next chord in the progression.

Take note of common fingerings and concentrate on not moving those fingers.
Move all the fingers that are not common as soon as you move away from the first chord.

I hope that this helps with some of the frustrations of learning to play chord progressions.

If this is not clear and you would like to see a YouTube video, let me know and I will post one (if that's ok with the moderators).

Thanks

Steve

Re: Tips and advice for switching chords.

Hey Steve,   Man, it's been a while! Hope all's good with you. Nice advice posted above... I remember when I found out about using pivots and guides back when I was just starting out and struggling with chord changes... They really helped me out back then and of course I still use them smile  I'd add to your advice above that it also helps to look at your chord shapes as well! There are several ways to finger chords and if you keep an open mind when looking at progressions you can often incorporate that and ease the changes...  You can alter the fingers you use to form the chord and take advantage of new "Common fingers" (pivots and guides) or just finger them so that it takes less combined movement for the coming change...

And (IMO) your videos would be welcome.. As long as they are free and contain no leads to pay sites all is good smile It's a great thing to "pay it forward" big_smile -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Makes sense Steve!  Going from D, E, and A I learned this straight away when I first started out (anchoring).  I just started changing the way I finger a few common chords to make an easier transition to the next one.  I saw this as a suggestion on one particular song I was working on.  It sure makes a WORLD of difference on that song... but then going back to the original fingering to do another song trips me up sometimes.  PRACTICE makes perfect!  I agree with Pix, for beginners that haven't considered this or been shown this yet, a vid would be welcome (ditto the "warnings").  Thanks for helping members out!  That's what it's all about!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for replying.  There is some great advice that was added to this post by the moderators. 

I just thought this kind of post would help with the frustrations of learning to switch chords. 

Basically any chord change either has NO fingers in common with the next chord or SOME common fingers.  Changing the un common fingers should be done in the middle of transitioning from chord to chord and not one finger at a time.

I will get a video together since it is easier to SEE in a video than explain.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm lukewarm on "anchoring". For me as a beginner it was a crutch (I probably shouldn't use the past tense as I still suck many years later!). For every chord change it helps, it hurts a different progression. For example: I was taught to form an "A" with pinky, ring and middle as it'd promote learning a "B" barre chord later on. Seemed solid but that form, as opposed to index, middle and ring, doesn't lend it self to variants of open chord "A's" like A7, Amaj7, etc. SO that actually hindered my development in some instances (and I still don't use that form for B shapes).

I guess all the above babble = IMO what helps you now might hinder you later...don't get stuck in any habits. Stay open minded because everytime you think you've reached the next level a progession will come and kick you in the teeth!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I gotta throw my 2 cents in, this is what I told a guy the other day, that Im working on teaching guitar.

Lets say G chord ,,Play a G,, then lift your hand back off position, then back into G form. Lift off,, put back ,,  check the clock and do this 5 mins. then do C,
then go from G to C , using only your left hand,  no strum necessary for these exercises ,, until you have it down pat.

For Barres
Play a F maj.  strum once{ just to make sure your not damping}
then leaving you pointer in place , move the others to a Bb maj.
then back
next F#maj, to B and repeat ,going on up the neck..
Its not exciting , but it will work
Steve

7 (edited by wlbaye 2010-06-10 14:52:48)

Here's a trick I use, as I only know three chord shapes G C D   capo II   A D E   Capo IV   B E F#  and so on smile

I don't let the Bees or F's bother me this way smile

PS

Please don't tell my Mom I'm a Guitar Player she thinks I'm a piano player in a ........................................... oops this shoulda
been in the bumper sticker thread smile

Later, Wayne P

Thanks for adding comments to this thread.

It's nice to hear about different experiences because what works for one person may not work out so well for another.  Also, nobody has all the answers and this type of feedback is great for trying out different suggestions to find what works best for you.

Thanks

Steve