Topic: using a pick

This is my first posting on Chordie.  I started teaching myself last year and I have learned to down strum with my thumb and up with my index finger.  I would really like to get a louder sound by using a pick but I cant seem to change patterns with a pick.  I know that practice will help and I should go get some real lessons.  Should I get a thumb pick or a thin flat pick?  Should I learn to fingerpick or to flatpick?  Is there a site that shows different strumming patterns, I have dial up so youtube will not work for me.  Is there any books that will help me develop my technique?  I can not read music.  Thanks.

Re: using a pick

I have trouble with picks also, but that is only because I started palying with my fingers the same as you.  I have just again decided to use my picks more often and that takes practice.  I have found that I like the jazz picks the best because they are smaller.  I bought some Fred Kelly Bumblebee picks thinking they would be better because they are a combo of a flat pick and a thumb pick, but they ended up being too stiff on the up stroke.  It's all in getting used to holding the pick firmly enough to keep it between your fingers and strumming softly with them.  Practice that and I am sure you will get the hang of it.  I feel more comfortable with that after only a few days of playing.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Washburnj56, welcome to chordie. As with anything the more you do it the better you become. If you are having trouble holding on to your picks I would suggest going to a light guage pick and sticking with that until you get comfortable. Then move up to heavier pigks very gradual until you find ahr pick thickness that feels right for you. The heavier the pick the more volume you can get. For me, and I'm just playing rythem, I find a 6omm pick to works well. As for learning strum patterns I have learned to just listen to the song (CD) and strum across my chest. I find that most songs will work with one of the following strum patterns - D - downstrum. & = upstroke;

D...D...&...D...&...D....&... REPEAT (COUNT 1 - 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND 1)

D...&..D...&...D...&...D....&....REPEAT (COUNT 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND 1)

D...D...D...&...D...&...REPEAT (COUNT 1 - 2 - 3 AND 4 AND REPEAT)

Listen to the song and try one of the patterns, above, or modify it until it fits.

nela

I find using one of those thinner picks gives me that thwup thwup sound...not a cool sound in my opinion, but could be just that I'm still learning and I'm doing something wrong...either way I prefer one of the thicker picks, and I like bright pink ones cause they have a harder time trying to hide from me. I dunno about you but all my picks have an evil streak in them that makes them want to run away and hide, like they have joined forces with those odd socks and pens that seem to like hiding too.
I can't play very well without a pick, down strums are ok but up strums just don't work.

Hey welcome to the Chordie forum! A lot of people (most) have issues with picks when they start. They spin in your fingers, the fall out of your hand, it's tricky. I have mostly been finger picking and strumming with fingers on nylon strings. I just recently added a steel string to my family.  A thumbpick helps, but you still have to hold it, and a big ole triangle pick is great too! Practice, practice, practice! Good luck my friend!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I think that the pick you choose is a completely personal thing. You should go to to your local guitar shop and grab one of each. Just try them all until you find one you love. Personally, I like a stubby for palm muting, and I stay away from thumb picks (even while finger picking). I pretty much use Dunlop 73mm for the most part. I like a thick pick because thin ones just sound like paper to me. As far as your strumming goes... Someone told me when I first started learning (about 10 years ago) that I should just pop in a CD and forget about chords for a second. Hold your hand over the neck to mute the strings and just focus on your strum for a little while during your practice time. Really listen to what's going on and pay attention to what your hand is doing. Take time to listen to the drums and bass. After you have done this, try to get your hands on some drum tracks. Just play around with it, either switching chords, or just hold off on that for a bit until you feel confident. (By the way, I'm not suggesting that you stop learning and practicing chords). You should go for the finger picking thing thing if you want. It is good to be well rounded. A cool technique I learned a few years ago is something called hybrid picking. You hold the pick between your thumb and index finger and use the other three fingers for finger picking. This has an awesome sound because the pick is used on the lower notes making them more audible. You can also easily switch from a picking pattern to a strum since you are already holding the pick. It takes a little practice, but it is a seamless transition. Good luck!