Re: The Last Three Songs............

nice thread!  Learned, transposed, arranged, and wrote these 3 out today while Baby and Mommy was napping!!! Had to work fast and efficient.

Dear God by XTC
Can't Get It Out Of My Head by E.L.O.
Jet Airliner by The Steve Miller Band

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Mine last three songs are:

1. Nothing else matter:
2. You know that who am i
3. Whatever whenever.

Zurf wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

Killing me Softly - I've been working on for a while... I can't quite get it to where I'm happy enough yet (and it's the easiest to switch cords on of these three)

My mom loved this song, but the tempo always drove me nuts.  I'll bet you do a better job of it than Roberta Flack.

Thanks Zurf.  I learned it as a kid, so the version that's in my head is the way my Dad played it.  There are a LOT of songs like that!  I never heard originals until after I knew the song well from my Dad's perspective.  LOL!  I've tried playing it with a little slap strum, some palm muting, just finger picking, straight strumming, everything... but I'm not happy with it yet.  Still work on it a little here and there smile

Now I'm working on:
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
You were meant for me - Jewel
Bubbly - Colby Caillat

But all the others I've picked up at some point are still there when my brain starts to hurt... that Jewel song isn't too tricky, but try singing with feeling while picking it out.  Whew!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I love "Bubbly" and "You Were Meant for Me", but definitely out of my range.  I'd have to completely re-arrange them and turn them around.  I like doing that, but it's not in the cards just this moment. 

The three I'm working on right now, as long as this thread has resurfaced, are:
1. I Still Miss Someone (a fairly straight cover vocally, but adding a little interest with fingerpicking instead of straight boom-chicka-boom strum)
2. Wagon Wheel (also a fairly straight cover - the timing is hard for me on this one vocally)
3. Cold Day In July (Dixie Chicks)  - Fairly straight cover, but a different picking pattern.  I'm experimenting with slow-picking down arpeggios, just kind of a slow sweep down with one of my picking fingers.  It's kind a pleasant sound.)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Been working on Coming into Los Angeles by Arlo Guthrie- Third Rate Romance by The Amazing Rhythm Aces and Rockstar by Nickleback. and always trying to tidy up several more

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Now that we have our recording capability up and running, I want to get Casey and my arrangements on some classics. I am working on full band arrangements of:
"The Saints Go Marching in"-parade band version
"Got You on my Mind" by Delbert McClinton - in two part harmony.
I did a cleaned up version of Pat Dailey's "What the H#** You Got Against Fish" that got me fussed at. A lot of folks liked it better with all the cussin'.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?