Topic: Jessica Watson

hip hip huzzah  jessies made it. Congrates to my friends downunder way to go.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100514/wl … tingrecord

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Re: Jessica Watson

WOW marcalan!  That is something for sure!  I can't imagine being alone for 7 months, forget about being alone sailing the world and only 16 years old.  Amazing

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Tania Aebi (17), circumnavigated the earth in a 26 foot sailboat but it took her four years. She came back home with one of her two cats and a husband.
My boat is the same model as hers and is not a boat for beginners. It may be fast for a small boat but it is a handful in big wind.
If I were to try to get around the world, I probably would take ten years or longer. I'm not lazy but I like to hang out at anchor and pick and grin in marinas a lot.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I must say I had my doubts and worries but she is an exceptional person my congratulations to her for this accomplishment smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

A great achievement for Jessica showing lots of courage and determination.

Sydney is turning on the 'Welcome Home' for her this morning. Going to be broadcast on National TV at 11am. The harbour should look fantastic as it's a great Autumn day here though the seas are fairly rough I believe.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

6 (edited by StranSongs 2010-05-14 23:29:32)

Sorry, but I have to agree with you, Russell. Doubts and worries.

16 is too young for this. What parent would let their 16 year old head off across the ocean, risking capsize and death, for 5 months on their own ? At 18 you can make your own decisions.

My daughters sail, Belfast people always have. When they were learning they had a class trip across the bay. I went out to the headland to watch them sail (and to fish, I must admit ). The eldest daughter capsized ( turtled ) in front of me and took a long, long time to come up. She was only 60 yards out. But there was nothing I could do.

Will the next "record" be a 14 year old - and when does that become abusive ?

Follow the money !

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

7 (edited by marcalan 2010-05-15 00:46:07)

Doubts dont accomplish they hinder; but they also sharpen

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

All the negative comments from people can not take away from Jessica, the amazing feat that she has accomplished. A true inspiration for young folks and especially young women.
Jessica joked at the the "welcome home do" when asked what her next challenge might be that she now wants to get her drivers licence. She also went on to say that she did not want to get off her boat at the jetty because she had spent the last seven months determined to stay on it.
Good sense of humour as well.
Cheers
A very proud Aussie, Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"