Topic: RELATION MUSIC AND MATHEMATICS

Is there a proven relation between, or an interaction between math & music?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: RELATION MUSIC AND MATHEMATICS

There is.  Music is math.  Mathematics is the study of the relations of intervals.  So is music.  They even use the same sections of your brain.  Children who study music also have increases to math scores.  My sister used to read a fair bit about the correlation, so I'm sure that there are books and articles and theses written upon it.  Some Googling or Amazon searches should give you at least one evening's worth of entertainment. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yuppers... I second what Zurf said.  Beats in a measure = time = math.  Study the circle of fifths and you will see tons more math.  Apparently  if you listen to enough Bach you might even get smart (they actually sell music to have children listen to supposedly to increase their intelligence just by listening).  All of this, my friend, is why I don't like music theory so much ... LOL ... I don't like math.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

There most certainly is a relationship.
Notes an octave apart have frequencies in the ratio exactly 2 to 1
Notes that are considered harmonious and combine together in chords (triads) have frequencies related by simple mathematical ratios.
The "harmonics" you can play on your guitar strings are related by the very same ratios.
Even Pythagoras recognised the importance of mathematics in music.
And the great thing is, you can still enjoy and play music without knowing anything about the maths.

5 (edited by fatstrings 2010-05-07 07:25:29)

The bigger question may be: what does not have a relationship with mathematics? I can't think of anything that does not involve math to some degree... measurement, angles, frequency, wavelength, volume, distance, etc...

umm, it's 3:00am here in Tennessee and I can't believe I'm setting here pondering over this question  yikes

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

I made the mistake of saying music had nothing to do with math. My very patient friends schooled me. There is math in everything. Makes me wish I would have paid attention in school

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat