Topic: Junkers!

Am I the only musician out there who prefers cheap, beat up instruments over expensive, newer ones?

Even as a professional drummer for many years, I always brought one of my home-made kits (usually made from stock shells and beginner-quality hardware) on even the biggest gigs, forgoing the fancy S.I.R. rental gear and leaving my "good" drums at home.  Today, I own a bunch of cheapo ukuleles, all under $100, and I wouldn't think of owning a better one.

A lot of this comes down to the way I generally attack my instruments.  I was a very hard-hitting drummer.  My snare drum heads generally had to be re-stretched with a heat gun several times during shows.  The way I strum my uke is similar; hard and relentless, as if the motion and intensity is powering a locomotive.  A lot of this comes from not worrying about damaging an expensive instrument, while trusting that the instrument is going to deliver when I need it to.

Does anyone else feel this kind of creepy attachment to their junker instruments?

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

2 (edited by bensonp 2010-05-04 18:32:43)

Re: Junkers!

You're a slave master PapaTom.  Rough on the things you love.  Just so you don't treat the women in your life the same way.  smile
I generally keep twop or three guitars around.  One is usually an older, not as good sounding as the nice ones.  This is the one I play at barbques and such.  You are probably the same with pets.  You'd rather get one from the shelter than buy a pure bred.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I don't mind a little mojo on mine smile I'm not one to put a whole bunch of money in one and then consider it too pretty to play. If it's here, it's getting the same treatment as any of its less expensive counterparts... They're all built to be played smile Most of my guitars are probably considered mid-range as far as price (500-1000). My Ukes range from $95 on into 4 digits and the expesive one gets played just as hard as the cheaper ones...  I even carry the "good" ones camping and such... Don't get me wrong, I don't abuse my instruments at all and am actually quit careful with them but if I have it it's getting used smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Ask Detman101 about his "good" acoustic guitar.  I can attest that he coaxes some sweet, sweet licks from it. 

I tend to get junk and be gentle with it.  I'm saving for a good guitar, though.  I'm not going to define "good" by the price tag, but it's going to cost me more than my other guitars.  I'm sure of that much.  Probably more than my other guitars all put together.  But that's only $200 for five guitars (two of which I have since given away), so it won't be hard. 

When I get a 'good' guitar, I'll play it the same as the others, except maybe will bring it inside the tent at night when I go camping rather than leaving it under the portico.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have some pretty nice guitars and they all get played alot and along the way they have all gotten alot of nicks and bruises my HD-28 Martin gets played alot and it is really starting to show it , seems music stands , stools and alot of other things get in the way when performing or recording.
A couple nights ago my friend Lance " The Minister of Low Frequencies"  Bass Player come over to do some recording so I was rearranging things and as I turned my back , condensor mic and mic stand tipped over and landed on the lower top of the Martin HD-28 it didn't change the sound any but it sure put a nasty scratch and gouge in it. I was just thankful it didn't go through the top.

Later, Wayne P

I was AFRAID some people might think I'm some kind of non-musical "brute" who aspires to the uke gig with Kiss or Def Leppard.  Nah, when I said I was a hard hitter, I meant in the Liberty DeVitto (Billy Joel) sense. 

I don't use my ukes to tenderize eggplant or anything; I just like the freedom of knowing that, if the moment calls for a little bending backwards of the neck for tremelo effect, I can do so without seeing dollar signs.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

You go Papa Tom. If that's what it takes to get what you want out of your instrument, do it.
When I bought my 1960 Gibson 330 in 1968, It looked rough because somebody had played the heck out of it. I also pound on a guitar and that old Gibby looks about the same but has held up fine to this day. If I should break it by being played hard,then fine, I'll replace or repair it but I will not change my playing style.
I believe playing improves the sound a guitar makes. The looks of a guitar have always been a secondary consideration with me. I'll be happy with an uggo if it sounds like it should and has low action.
Case in point: Willie Nelson
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

>>>Case in point: Willie Nelson<<<<

I was thinking Willie, too.  But Willie's guitar did not get that way from being pounded on; it got beat up from being on the road all these years.

My thing is not about old instruments vs new ones as much as it is about cheap ones vs expensive ones.  All my ukes are within 3-4 years old, as I've only been playing for that long.  They all look pretty new.  But none of them cost enough to worry when one of my grand kids picks it up and starts to bang it on the floor!

Mostly, none of them cost enough to worry when I, myself, decide to pick it up and start to bang it on the floor!  smile