26 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-04-29 19:36:37)

Re: guitars on the beach

I'm a little late joining this thread but wanted to drop in and welcome you to Chordie! Sounds like you guys had a great time smile I love playing on the beach!! It's by far my favorite place to sit and just get lost in the rhythm of the waves and see how it influences my music. During the summer I'm sitting on the beach at least 3 days a week playing while I wait for the surf to build up smile I have the pleasure of living really close to the beach and am surrounded by those "secret places" that no one really visits. They make for some great quality time alone with the guit wink   I can hit the far end of the island almost any time of the year and have the beach to myself... No people, no houses, no traffic, It's really enjoyable. The pic I'm posting below was shot last July and not a sole was on the beach as far as I could see. The wife snapped it.... I was lost to the world smile eyes closed and just enjoying the flow wink
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3393/4564002268_6206627e59_m.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

That's worth the price of admission right there.  Thanks for the pic.  the only problem with it is that you appear to be playing an illegal and non-permissable A shaped barre chord - past the fifth fret no less.  But given the beauty of the surroundings, I think I'll let you off with a warning. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

28 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-04-29 22:18:43)

Hey Zurf, You'll be happy to hear (if I remember right) that I was playing "Keep it loose, Keep it tight" by Amos Lee and that chord would have been Emaj9 (799800) finger picked. So it's not technically a Barre chord and no laws where broken by my previous post lol    Here's the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQFwIKsU1U

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Roger Guppy wrote:

Or you could watch this video and learn how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-ExQu4 … re=related

It is a fiddly job but well worth the effort learning how to put them on.

Roger

I do this with my classical Roger, but his steel string acoustic has a wavy bridge so I'm not so sure the standard stringing will work on his.  I think we're going to have to knot the ends... I warned him that he won't be able to play it right away so he's holding off on the restringing with the nylons.

I must say, if any of you saw what bad shape his guitar is in you'd all have me hung for even having something like this in my house.  LOL!  He really needs a new acoustic... BUT... having just purchased him a new electric for Christmas he's going to have to save up on his own (or wait till I get a new one and borrow mine more often than he already does!).

PapaTom, Toots, and Pix - he enjoyed all your stories.  He's been back on here a few times smiling and pointing at the computer having me come over to read (son- you need to remember to log out!  LOL).  He'll post again I'm sure!

Pix - Very nice pic of you at the beach!  Hey, I think that's the first time I've seen your face (your tutorials always show from the neck down!).  I'd like to know where this secret beach is located.  We have been seriously talking about moving to NC for a while now.  I am hoping, praying, and crossing my fingers for a trip South to check out some possible locations soon (although it seems kids can't get their drivers permit till 18?  My Son isn't digging that too much).

We attempted another trip to the beach with our guitars yesterday, but the wind was making it wayyyy to chilly!  We'll be back there soon!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks Pix.  I've never heard of Amos Lee.  That was a happy, mellow song.  Seems like all the songs I'm learning are about misery and loss.  That's what I get for liking country/folk music I guess.  I liked that real well.  I need to spend some money on the new artists like Amos Lee and Jack Johnson and Andy McKee and all these other guys not making the radio. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Pix, that is an awesome song!  There's been a lot crossing my path lately thanks to the Chordie members.  Good stuff!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

>>>...(if I remember right) that I was playing "Keep it loose, Keep it tight" by Amos Lee<<<

Wow, what an unexpected surprise.  I've become so desensitized to "real" music in this American Idolicious world that I forgot there might still be kids out there writing actual songs.  Thanks, Guitarpix, for introducing me to Amos Lee, however unintentional it was.  I think I'm going to go shake out my penny jar and drop a few buck twenty nines on his music! 

See the great thing you've done, Mekidsmom_son?  smile

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Thanks all for the responding and thanks for the link roger smile ill have to change them sometime next week.

"A bad note is only a fret or two away from a good note."  Anonymous

Céid Mile Failte, { One hundred thousand welcomes } Peteen,  { Wee Pet } To chordie..

Ain't you a blessed child. A Mam who's sings / Plays / and cooks ..  I bet shes a loving Mam also..
Remember this son. If your Mam ever gives you a short rope of trust , use it wisely.. Its a test us Mams give our kids.

The more wisely you use it, the longer the rope gets. In simple terms you get more freedom" Your Mam will explain all to you.

" 2 years ago my niece was married here, her wedding was held in a hotel on a beach.. It was the hottest day. Later in the evening i took a ramble away from the crowd  alone as i tend to do, down to the beach.. I heard the sound of a guitar playing.
I followed the sound. There was this young man sitting playing by the light of the moon.. Totally oblivious he was to everything else. The sounds were beautiful with the sea lapping softly in the foreground. After some tunes i clapped quietly.. I gave this young man the fright of his life... Exchanged a few words with him. He told me he gets his best inspiration for playing and lyrics  while in this place..
So next time you bring a note book and write down your thoughts while at the beach with your Mam. You just may write your best
work or have the written memories to do so another time.

Have fun.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !