Topic: Construction guys don't work hard.

Yeah right.  It's 11PM and our primary contractor is still here, and the folks he's subcontracted some of the drywalling work to are still hard at work.  I don't know where the myth came from, but these folks are busting hump! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Construction guys don't work hard.

It's the unions and government DOT workers that give us real construction workers a bad name. I assure you my guys bust their butts every day - the one's that don't aren't employed very long. Finding a true, skilled tradesman that will still bust hump is difficult these days, but they can be found. My success depends on having those kinds of folks on my crews and I'm glad to say we have a bunch of them. We make sure the good ones know they are valued.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

11PM... wow... they REALLY want to get that job done!  They must be busy down there with work!  That's awesome to hear on your end and theirs Zurf!

Up here we still have tons of Unions (I understand N.C. And S.C. are both served by one Ironworker's Union... we have at least 5 Ironworker Union Halls within a 3 hour drive)... and my husband is always complaining about the lazy bums he gets on his crews.  He's one of the rare ones that actually works.  I can't imagine being out there with the incompetence and lazies that he has to deal with... especially with some of the stories I hear.  He also teaches the apprentices at the Hall on Saturdays... not just for the money, but in the hopes that when he gets some of these new guys on his crew down the road, they'll have a little work ethic and knowledge!  As for the slow workers... he lays them off (always ends up as foreman on jobs even if he doesn't start as foreman) and gets new guys from the hall... or tells them to get out of his way so he can get his work done!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

There's good and bad in just about any trade.

Glad to hear you got some good ones Zurf. big_smile
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

The finishers wanted to work on Easter Sunday, but we told them no.  I would never ASK someone to work a holiday like that.  They asked US if they COULD.  Normally I'd say yes.  I don't object to people working at odd times to raise the money they need to pay their bills if it's what suits them, but we're having a dinner here for a couple families and don't want the dust raised. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Dinner and builders don't mix !

We finished off an extension to the house just before Xmas (18th December, a friday). We'd been given the previous Monday as the last day - so we could finish clearing up for our Annual get-together with one side of the family ( we have a meal in our house and then walk to the theatre and back ).

Of course the tiler decided a couple of homers were more important than the party, and then the joiner (carpenter ?) disappeared. It was thursday and no front door, a cracked toilet - the list goes on. Well, I broke that builder's balls all right. It ended up with the tiler finishing at 6.30 on the Friday and the joiner at 7.00.

My cousin arrived an hour early ( she's still unforgiven for that one ) and danced merrily in with her comestibles - while the joiner was still planing the front door on trestles.

The builder helped welcome the guests, till I told him he had a home to go to ! The rest of the party went well, except I forgot my hat and froze on the way home.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis