1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2010-03-30 13:04:26)

Topic: some pretty bad news

Surgery for nerve entrapment --> pinkie and ring finger, 30cm distance AND HERE IT COMES:
A nerve grows 1mm/day ==============> = 300 DAYS

300 days, maybe some guitar in 6-7 months, CATASTROPHE. Should I keep or sell my most expensives like a strat 1964 original? I am in deep s**, and my mind is spinning around, bad thoughts, frustration, no hope (it started in August 2009, and I played at least 3 hours a day).
WHAT would you do? IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE like playing on a few strings.

HELP, I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY because I play chords, NO fingerpicking. PLEASE.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: some pretty bad news

Hi Doc, glad to see you back but I'm sorry to hear things aren't going as we'd all hoped. I'm not sure excatly if you mean't "your in deep s____" because of the nerves or financially because of medical bills or both, but if your ok money wise, I wouldn't make a rash decision to sell your guitars with that fine collection you have. Sit on it awhile if you can, please be sure you want to do that before you have thought it over. I hope, and I'm sure others here do as well, wish good things for you and all you've been through, sometimes things just have a way of working their way at, when it seems darkest. Good luck and please let us all know how things work out.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hi Doc, glad to see you back but I'm sorry to hear things aren't going as we'd all hoped. I'm not sure excatly if you mean't "your in deep s____" because of the nerves or financially because of medical bills or both, but if your ok money wise, I wouldn't make a rash decision to sell your guitars with that fine collection you have. Sit on it awhile if you can, please be sure you want to do that before you have thought it over. I hope, and I'm sure others here do as well, wish good things for you and all you've been through, sometimes things just have a way of working their way at, when it seems darkest. Good luck and please let us all know how things work out.

Cam

I agree wholeheartedly with Cam... I can't really think of much more to say... but at least there is a time frame and the possibility of playing again, instead of NEVER.  Hold on to those fine guitars if you can $$ wise.  Wishing you well Doc!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I real bummer!
I know it wouldn't be the same but what about playing in an open chord tuning perhaps using a slide? That would beat nothing and do away with the thought of selling.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hang in there Doc. Don't sell all those beautiful guitars unless you have to. Maybe you can adapt while you're waiting to heal. So long as you can hold a pick you should be able to have fun. Learn to be a better rhythm player or learn to play lefty!!!!!! Use your time wisely, better to play a little than not at all. Come on Doc you've always had such a good outlook. You've faced far bigger medical challenges.....

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Financially NO PROBLEM, insurance covers everything, with s* I mean that 300 days to play "decent" again is long, very long.
IS THERE A SOLUTION TO PLAY WITH 3 FINGERS (left hand, for chords) to improve other methods, like more fingerpicking, I have NO force = I CAN'T push with these 2 fingers on my chords.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

7 (edited by Zurf 2010-03-30 15:30:21)

What Cam said.

I was also going to suggest what deadstring said.  It looks like a good opportunity to learn slide blues. Buy some Bonnie Raitt albums and a cordicidine (sp?) bottle and see how it works out for you.  Or lap steel.  I know Country's not your thing, but lap steel has a beauty all it's own. 

Or harmonica.  See how you like the mouth harp!  Then when you're feeling better, you'll be a double threat. 

With what you've been through, 6 or 7 months without guitar will be easy.  Don't sell the guitars unless you need to do it as a financial last resort. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sorry to hear of your troubles doc! So you can still play with your pointer and middle finger for chording right? I don't know how your stretch is but you should be able to play power chords.... If the stretch is a bit much you can tune down one full step and then capo on the 2nd to get back to standard tuning. The frets would then be closer together and allow for easier fingerings plus you'd have much lighter string tension for easier fretting.  If your open to some fingerpicking you may want to look into some alternate tunings. You can do some sweet sounding melodies with 2 fingers in some tunings.  Just some thoughts...  All the best and a speedy recovery! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

There seems to be a brandnew capo, with 6 wheels???, and you can turn these wheels individually, so open G, A, E....
Ask it in topic

Hi Doc,

Take the advice above - try out slide guitar. You don't need a fancy capo. you're in the lucky position to be able to retune a few guitars and leave them like that.

You won't need to have a working pinky - the slide is controled by your hand and the pressure of the other three fingers. Give it a go and check out ol' George and "Bad to the Bone" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_ … re=related

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Hey Leiven,

Sorry to hear about this setback but I will repeat what others have said DON'T sell your guitars and try open tuning with a slide. OK a completely different style of playing but no pressure on the sensitive fingers whist the repair.

Don't get down learn something new and who knows in a few weeks we might hear of you buying a dobro to experiment with.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Doc,

Sorry to hear about your setback, but look at it like that's all it is...a setback. The year will pass in no time flat and you'll be brand new used and ready to play.
Mean while there are some real good suggestions above.
Kudos for reaching out.:D

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

there is a contraption they call a "spider capo" saw it on MF I belive or one of them places.Keep your gear and your head, up  go SLOW do not rush it ,(I did after cardiac surgery and nearly did me in) I am also anLVN(lpn in other states) so belive me recovery is SLOW and sometimes painful.Look into that spider thingie and see what ya think. Just keep on keepin on.

Bend em tight and let er scream.

I don't care if I was broke, hungry and homeless,  I'll never sale one of my guitars again, ever. period semicolon

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Hang in there Lieven. You'll most likely need to make a few minor adjustments after your surgery. Just see what you need to do afterwards and do it. You're gonna be fine, heck fire, you might even be tons better !

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Two Words.... Django Reinhart!

Yes sir a Belgian, and really humbles me to hear his music while keeping in mind that he only had full use of two fingers on his fretting hand. 

Try a couple of his tunes and by the time you have them down, you'll be ready to try to figure out what to do with the other two.

Keep smiling Doc....

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare