Topic: nut width

Today I measured the nut width on my steel string guitar and it is 1 5/8" with E to E spacing of 1 3/8".
On my classical I have a 2" nut with E to E spacing of 1 5/8.  I really like the wider spacing.  Can you buy a steel string guitar with the wider neck or can you safely put steel strings on the classical guitar?  I've only been playing guitar for 2 months, but I'm thinking I could get my chord changes faster with the wider spacing of the strings.  Just so you know, I do Practice, Practice, Practice...  smile)

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: nut width

Hey Tony,     Hows thing been?
   Your neck nut width would probably be considered 1 11/16, as that is a pretty standard/average size. I don't know of any steel string right of hand that has a 2 inch nut but Seagulls come close at 1.8 inch and are a great bang for the buck guitar...
  As far as putting steel strings on a classical... It's not a good idea. The soundboard on a classical is designed and braced differently than a steel string. They are built much lighter in order to respond/vibrate of the lower tension nylon strings. The necks are also not designed to carry the tension of steel strings. Putting them on would cause structural issues real quick and probably trash the guitar!
    When considering your next guitars nut width, be sure to consider neck profile as well. Ordering a steel string for a wide neck can be misleading...Be sure to try first! Classicals generally have a thinner neck than you find on most acoustics and grabbing a wide and thick neck can be a handful to work around.

Btw... By any chance are you familiar with the Chocowinity area? I've lost the phone number to Blounts Creek fish camp/campground right outside of town and can't find it online. It's pronounced more like blunts...   I'm trying to book a couple of cabins for a fishing trip up your way in May... Maybe we can hook up and play for a bit smile  Just thought I'd ask in case you knew of it. wink  -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Pix, I sorta figured I ruin my classical if I put the steel strings on it.  I think I will just keep doing what I've been doing until I decide to buy my next guitar.  About Chocowinity, I have heard of it but I have never been there.  I did do a Google search and this site may help you out or at least give a phone number to a local who can look up the number for the campground place.  http://northcarolina.hometownlocator.co … -creek.cfm

Let me know when your coming in this direction.

Tony

I had a similar question some time ago and here is the thread - and the outcome.
Lots of helpful people on here.
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12905

Tony... for starters, I'd say that's half the reason I chose my classical... the wider neck (and I have "average" female hands)!  While I had this, my husband also commented how much he liked the wider neck as well (I'd set it down to grab a drink and have a hard time getting it out of his hands again while his was still sitting in it's case!).  Since then... I bought the two electrics for him and my son... now the electrics have a thinner neck but are very easy to fret (of course, because they are electric).  They love those but both would prefer my classical still to their entry level acoustics.  I have a HORRID time playing their electrics... easy to fret, YES... but necks so thin that I have a hard time getting my (double jointed) thumb in a good spot.  Absolutely have a fun time at the guitar shops when you have a chance again... necks can be sooo different... finding one that fits your hands well AND is easy to fret is the key!  I picked up a few steel strings last time I was there that felt even nicer in my hands than my classical... I will be getting a steel string the next time I'm buying (but I think I'll keep my first guitar as long as she'll last)!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Tony,

If you're looking for an acoustic with a wider neck, Guilds could be a good choice. I have a GAD-50 that I find very comfortable to play.

I don't have the exact measurements but here's a link to the site:

http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments … 3810500837

Thanks for the replies everyone.  MrJay, I checked out the link and WOW! that is why out of my price range.
MeK, I like the idea of spending a few hours or a full day in a guitar shop....  Now how do I convince a wife who doesn't play guitar that I need a day by myself to do guitar TESTING?

Just tell her that you have a special surprise for her but you need time alone to sort it out............... Just let us know what hospital you are in after you have told her the truth so we know where to send the grapes and cards lol.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

tell her it's  "TOP SECERET"  but all for her.   then write her a love song.   

good luck    badeye   cool

one caper after another

Find a salon nearby and set her up an appointment for a pedicure and manicure!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Roger, I can tell you must be married also.  Badeye, she was born at night but not last night.  MeK, she would say OK, "What have you BOUGHT now?"  I just wait until she does one of those Girls night out things and then I'll sneak off..... smile