Topic: The Last Three Songs............

I get a a kick out of learning and playing new songs. It's what keeps me interested in playing and makes it fun. I'm just curious with everyone here, what are the last three songs you have played, are playing, or are working on learning?

Mine are;
- "Harvest Moon" by the great Neil Young
- "Woman" by the late, great John Lennon
- "Fast enough for you" by Phish

Rubbersole

"Oh son, for that you sold your everlasting soul?"

Re: The Last Three Songs............

"Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show
"Big Wheel" by Jim Croce
"Grandma's Feather Bed" by John Denver

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

"I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
"My Dog is Fluffy" from the Bob and Tom Show
"Your Feets too Big" by Fats Waller

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Wild World - Cat Stevens

Bad Moon Risin' - CCR

All You Wanted - Michelle Branch

I was kinda thinking the same thing the other day. Isn't it cool when you finally get something to work that you have been practicing for awhile. Gives you the tingles a little, and makes you feel like a rock star. (Ok, makes you feel like you're not a guitar hack)

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

San Fransisco Bay Blues by Jesse Fuller

Time Is On My Side  by   The Rolling Stones

Lost In The Blues  by  Sonny Terry & Brownie MaGhee

love these threads, gives one ideas for new songs...

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

I'm still putting the finish touches on "Salomila" an old Tahitian Slackkey piece as arranged by Fran Guidry http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … 4VE66NiCGE If anyone else is interested in the arrangement, Email me for tabs...
I've also been toying around with an acoustic take on Bing Crosby's "Swinging on a Star" http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … ATftJiWdkw though I'll be playing the parody by fretkiller more http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … o3jeHrZbWs
Last one would have to be "Worries" by Langhorne Slim http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … T2NMuzpWi4 This is a simple little song that I love to play! It's taken me a little time to get all the hammer ons just right but it's pretty much there....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I'm a uke player, although I like to adapt uncommon songs to this instrument.  My last three "new" songs were:

1.  Papa Is A Worried Man (Willie Nelson & some reggae dude)
2.  Betty Lou Got A New Pair of Shoes (Bobby Freeman, of "Do You Wanna Dance" fame)
3.  You've Got A Friend In Me (Randy Newman)
BONUS:  One More Bottle of Beer (by a very talented local singer songwriter I played drums with in the 80s named Kip Carmen.  This infectious, saloon-type song would be a major hit if played on modern country radio.)

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Where is my mind, the pixies
party in the USA, Miley Cyrus. (don't laugh, its for my kid!)
Shine, David Gray. been working on this one for awhile.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

Selso,
All kidding aside I would like to hear your cover of Miley Cyrus. I really dig when covers are performed across genres. I've heard a couple of Britney Spears covers that blew me away.  Post it up, I will stand with you for the ridicule!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Fascinating variety of genre here........I've already learned a great deal from this. I listened to "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show on youtube. Never heard of it before but loved it.
Very cool.

Til I Kissed You - Everly Brothers
I Will Love You All My Life - Charlie Landsborough
Flowers Never Bend - Simon and Garfunkel

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Guitarpix wrote:

I'm still putting the finish touches on "Salomila" an old Tahitian Slackkey piece as arranged by Fran Guidry http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … 4VE66NiCGE If anyone else is interested in the arrangement, Email me for tabs...
I've also been toying around with an acoustic take on Bing Crosby's "Swinging on a Star" http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … ATftJiWdkw though I'll be playing the parody by fretkiller more http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … o3jeHrZbWs
Last one would have to be "Worries" by Langhorne Slim http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx# … T2NMuzpWi4 This is a simple little song that I love to play! It's taken me a little time to get all the hammer ons just right but it's pretty much there....

Hey Pix,
What did he mean when he said slackkey laws say you have to play it different each time?

Reverend Horton Heat

geoaguiar wrote:
selso wrote:

Selso,
All kidding aside I would like to hear your cover of Miley Cyrus. I really dig when covers are performed across genres. I've heard a couple of Britney Spears covers that blew me away.  Post it up, I will stand with you for the ridicule!!

I have a different set up on this puter so when I figure out how record myself I will. Thanks for not making me feel like less of a man!!!

Reverend Horton Heat

PapaTom wrote:

BONUS:  One More Bottle of Beer (by a very talented local singer songwriter I played drums with in the 80s named Kip Carmen.  This infectious, saloon-type song would be a major hit if played on modern country radio.)

I'd love to hear that.

Reverend Horton Heat

>>>I'd love to hear that.<<<

Check your e-mail.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Guitarpix wrote:

I

Pix - You got chords for "Swinging on a Star"? My grandmother used to sing that tune all the time. I found a version a while ago, but it was all wrong.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

This one ive been trying to perfect a long ole time now.

Richard Thompson-- Bees Wing . He is such a great guitar player.

Nanci Griffith.. Across the great divde.

Mark Knopler.. I dug up a diamond... This one is fine and easy enough. { On acoustic i mean !

I think im to hard on myself at this age lol I try enjoying the journey though.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

topdown wrote:

Pix - You got chords for "Swinging on a Star"? My grandmother used to sing that tune all the time. I found a version a while ago, but it was all wrong.

Hey tops,  If you capo on 1st, you can play most of the song with G, E7, A7, & D7 with an occasional Bm and G6th? (020030) there are a few other little runs through out the song but those chords are the meat and potatoes of it... I think wink I'm doing it more like this guy  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcH898zTlk0  or "trying to" at this point smile -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

selso wrote:

Hey Pix,
What did he mean when he said slackkey laws say you have to play it different each time?

I take it as mild humor smile He's just saying that most slackkey transcriptions are loosely based and ,often times, played with a little variety from one time to the next. A lot of alternate tunings are used and your fingerings change from one version to the next and have different timber even if the notes are the same..... I play this in taropatch tuning DGDGBD and a little differently than he does in the vid. -Pix

20 (edited by selso 2010-03-25 01:13:27)

I play this in taropatch tuning DGDGBD and a little differently than he does in the vid. -Pix
  I play in something similar but the B is dropped down a half step

Reverend Horton Heat

i just tinker with bits of songs

I get a technique and play loads of songs in that style for a bit

I'm messing around with pick scrapes at the moment. how many songs use pick scrapes. its a very  'punk' thing. turn the distortion up and just run  the side of the pick down the bass string quite fast. perfect intro.

also lots of damping. particularly Superbad by James Brown, possibly "not fade away" by the Stones (a sort of bo diddley thing)

finally i was playing a snow patrol song a while back. think it was 'Run' nice and slow guitar parts there.

New songs ,,,a bunch ,,old stand bys   ,1 Twinkle twinkle lucky star,2,Lets all help the cowboys sing the blues,3Wurlitzer Prize.
and just for the heck of it I been tryin Yesterdays wine.

Bend em tight and let er scream.

Only three?  I have a bunch that I work on all the time, and then one will stand out to me and I'll get it down pretty good... then back to the bunch that I'm working on all the time again!  LOL!

Black is the Color - is the one I'm working on pretty steadily right now
Even God Must Get the Blues - I fiddle with a lot
Killing me Softly - I've been working on for a while... I can't quite get it to where I'm happy enough yet (and it's the easiest to switch cords on of these three)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The last three i've learned is..
Oceans From The Rain by Seventh Day Slummber
Redsky by Brandon Heath
Come Home Running by Chris Tomlin
I haven't been able to get any new songs to try since my home pc has crashed. I'm glad i print all of my songs because without them i could only play about 10 songs and half of them i would mess up.lol

mekidsmom wrote:

Killing me Softly - I've been working on for a while... I can't quite get it to where I'm happy enough yet (and it's the easiest to switch cords on of these three)

My mom loved this song, but the tempo always drove me nuts.  I'll bet you do a better job of it than Roberta Flack.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude