Topic: Hello!

Hello everyone, a newbie here.

I took up playing/learning the guitar ( after a nearly 30 year gap ) to perhaps accompany songs I sing (on occasion) at a local folk club. I can do a few chords and love the resources here that help me along with some new songs to learn and practice with. One day I aspire to some fingerpicking!!
<grin>

The music side of things really helps me relax and channel away some the stresses of caring for my family, especially my son who is 15 and has multiple and profound sensory, physical and learning disabilities - he has a very rare genetic disorder called Lowe Syndrome, which affects boys only and is life limiting and life threatening.

I look forward to keeping on learning from the folks on this site.

slainte.

Re: Hello!

Welcome amethst.  I also started palying at a young age and had big gaps between my playing.  Hang around and you'll quickly learn it again and become a better palyer.  Sorry to hear about your son.  I also use my guitar at times to tune out the rest of the world.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi amethistwave and welcome to Chordie we have a lot of members from Scotland so your in good company I picked up a fingerpicking book several years ago and it was a good addition to my playing style there are lots of good players on Chordie and offer good advice and help so enjoy the forums smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Welcome.
  I have never asked a question on chordie that someone didn't offer help with. Good folks on here.
  When times get rough there are two tangible things I hope I can keep. My Bible and my Yamaha acoustic.AL

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

You're welcome here.  Sorry to hear about your boy's troubles, but somehow or other good things have a way of coming out of what appear to be poor circumstance.  It's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone some good. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

And a warm welcome to you amethystwave from me. Feel free to join in any of the discussions we are a friendly lot here and there is always someone willing to offer help and advice if you need it.

Sorry to hear about your son's condition, my thoughts and prayers are with you and him.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

7 (edited by alvee33 2010-03-24 18:48:50)

Now that's what I call a warm welcome. I'll just add another we bit of warmth from just a wee bit nearer home than the rest of these fine gentlemen.

Slainte Mhath

Hee hee, I canny spell

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi Amethy,

So glad to have you aboard, your always welcome here! Like you it helps me with stress just to pick or play around with the guitar, it's good for the soul and lifes everyday troubles. I commend you for caring for your Son, I'm sure your lucky to have each other, and I'm glad that you still find time for yourself, you need that under the curcumstances, it will alow you to take better care of your son, and to do that you have to take care of yourself. So again, were all glad your here, and please stay with us and let us know how you, your son and your music go's.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

What everyone else said. WELCOME. We all have our troubles, burdens, hopes and wishes to bear - some good and some not so good. Just put a smile on yore face, drop in and visit when you can as we are all part of the Chordie Family.

Nela

Hi Amethyst, and a Celtic "croeso" from Wales.

Welcome to Chordie Amethyst!  I can't say much more than everyone else has... great site, great people, glad you are among us... and prayers for you and yours!  Like my guitar... I also find Chordie a great relaxation and place to go away from daily life issues.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi amethystwave

Glad to have you aboard Chordie. You picked the right forum for friendly, knowledgeable musicians and plain all around nice people.

Looking forwards to your posts. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

And a warm welcome from South of the Border...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Ceád Mile Fáilte,

From the Emerald Isle of Ireland

Blessings on you and yours.

Slan,

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

My first post. Hello Amethystwave. I too have a special son. It's tough, but the love is special too. I bought myself a guitar for my 40th birthday and took a few lessons. My teacher said something that has always stuck with me and has been a source of strength and comfort and encouragment. He said,
"Guitar isn't something you do, it's somewhere you go." He hooked me up with my first songs, which were all John Prine since he is easy and fun.
Regards...