Topic: spruce top

hi, any chordian's have any experience or tips for changing the color on an acoustic top. the one i have is real bright and probably laquerd
would like to darken it up, just the top.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Re: spruce top

Hi Badeye,

If it is in fact a lacquer, you have a few choices as about the only thing that will cut the original finish and possibly give you grief would be another lacquer.  Something that I have used with good results is a water borne lacquer available from stewmac.com.  It comes tinted and in aerosol in case you aren't too familiar with a spray gun.  It does require that you rough up the existing finish a bit with something like 400 grit (by their instructions), but I like to go even finer and use 800 wet sanding for that.  There is less chance of going though the original finish and does the job nicely.  Most important is to completely remove any contaminants like waxes or oils to get good adhesion.

Several light coats will be needed to get the color even and as dark as you like, and then several coats of clear will put the finish on it. Allow 2 hours dry time between coats. You will not be able to sand imperfections out of the color coats, but can on the top clears, which then can be buffed and polished to desired gloss.  I usually finish sand with 2000 grit wet with a block to perfection and it does take a bit of time.

The finish should be allowed to cure about 150 hours before attempting any sanding on the new surface, or polishing.

Have fun with it and it should come out great!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks for the info Doug, I will look for that product.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

If your wanting that aged golden hue. the best thing (IMO) to do is just be sure it stays out of it's case. UV light darkens it over time. You can even expose it to direct sunlight to reall speed up the process.. Just be sure it doesn't get too hot. Indirect light (like having it in a room with a lot of windows) will also speed up the process.

Here's a pic of a newer top (Seagull Artis Studio Rosewood)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/1967621854_19b7f7dc0c.jpg

And here is the same finish after a couple years. (S&P Pro Rosewood)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2419/1794748638_a4d805cbe1.jpg

Both of those have the same woods and finish, The only diffrence is the age... I'd let time do the work for you smile No worries about mistakes or decreased value that way. Also unless your experienced with finishing a guitar, you can easily hinder top vibration and have detrimental effects on it's tone. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks pix,I see what the open air does first hand, I have a four year old fender acoustic and can really notice the change. I tend to like the darker shade.  I'm still deciding which route to take, so in the meantime I'll leave it on the stand.

Will the sanding route change the tone ?

thank you again...   Badeye..     cool

one caper after another

Hi Segosha,

You should email Marcalan here on the site, he knows all about restoring all timbers. He specializes in this field.
Im sure he can give some good tips.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

The sanding itself doesn't effect the tone since you're only doing a scuff coat and not removing the finish. It's only for adhesion purposes.. You do need to be very carefully sanding and be sure you don't go through the finish. Any spots that go through will take the new finish you apply differently causing a splotchy appearance.. Where the problem comes in is adding the extra coats of finish to the top. Good guitars are built with all things considered. Top thickness, type and heaviness of the finish used, etc... All these are considered when the top is braced and voiced. It's built so they work together for max vibration of the top. 80-85% of the guitars tone comes from the top, so you can see why any added hindrance of the tops movement would affect the tone. More layers of finish means less responsiveness, a loss of tone and resonance... On some this will be more noticeable than others and honestly on most 1 or 2 REAL LIGHT coats probably won't be very noticeable, any more and I would be hesitant. Well really I'd be hesitant to add any if there was an alternative. The change will be there with even 1 real light coat but most of us just don't have the ear to hear it... I just feel it's better to be safe than sorry. It's not a process where you can say "I don't like it and am going to change it back" It's permanent! I guess it all comes down to how bad you want it to happen quickly and if it's worth the risk to you... The value of the instrument would be a strong factor if it was mine... Just some thoughts... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Doug_Smith wrote:

If it is in fact a lacquer, you have a few choices as about the only thing that will cut the original finish and possibly give you grief would be another lacquer.  Something that I have used with good results is a water borne lacquer available from stewmac.com.  Doug

Just curious Doug... How well would a water based lacquer adhere to an oil based lacquer even with lite sanding? I know usually with any oil based finish that you're going to cover with a latex (water borne) finish a bonding coat of some kind is crucial for the transition from oil to latex for it to adhere properly and not flake/crack eventually. I would think that fish eyeing would also be a problem. I've never tried the product and am curious how it addresses these issues. I've never seen a Finish product that could.. Is there an extra step in there or do you spray water directly to oil?? Always open to gain some education smile -Pix

ReRanch sells regular guitar lacquer, in lots of colors, loaded into regular spray cans for about $15.
They have an "aged/yellowed" tint that is used to make maple necks/fingerboards look older.
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/tinclearcoat.html

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Hi Pix,

Actually that is a very good question.  I've been using traditional finishes for something like 30+ years, both in the Antique Restoration and even Automotive fields.  Surprisingly, the new CFC Free waterborne products are very comfortable over the top of most finishes and if adhesion is questionable, a sanding sealer (clear) which also acts as an adhesion promoter is available to precoat.  We are talking about VERRRY thin coats of product.... to give you an idea, 10-12 coats when dry/cured is like 1 mil in film thickness.  The Stewmac product I used recently is a nitrocellulose base specifically formulated for wood musical instruments.... not like casting resin poured over a burl tabletop somewhere.  I've had good results with similar stuff over acrylics, alkyds, polyesters, polyurethanes, and epoxies.  Surface prep is paramount, as you want your spray to flow without "fisheyes" and you have to get the feel of shooting it as you cannot shoot for gloss, it needs a "half wet" coating which will level out over the first half of the drying time.  If I was shooting a bike or a car, I'd think I was going too dry and would expect to see an "orangepeel" result. Water borne coatings tend to respond to gravity, and threaten to slide off onto the floor at slightest provocation. So light coats are best.

Personally I use a gravity feed HVLP with 3-5 lbs pressure at the gun through a .014 tip.  The really nice thing is the long open time which lets you get in there with a sharp probe and extract any foreign objects without losing the coverage locally, and not having to wear a full blown respirator to filter out the solvents.  No fire hazard, and better for the environment.  Mind you a line air drier is still a good idea, and dedicated air hose that has never ever seen the dumb end of any shop air tool which might contribute a bit of oil into the mix is a good thing. My paint hoses have a strange fitting that only fit the line drier/regulator on the one end, and the only things that will plug in the other is one of my paint guns.....  Tru-flate is for impacts, ratchets, grinders, and brute force tools....  Johnston fittings are for paint!

Thanks for asking and sorry for the lengthy answer.  I really enjoy this stuff and tend to get carried away.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Thanks for asking and sorry for the lengthy answer.  I really enjoy this stuff and tend to get carried away.

Take Care;
Doug

No Prob. I rather enjoyed the lengthy answer smile I'm really into this stuff as well wink I used to spray automotive finishes for GM about 18 years ago. Now I build and finish cabinets and restore antique furniture, among other things... I currently use a ESP2255 Advantage Airless sprayer (HQ piston pump available through Sherwin Williams) for most of my finish work. A .014 or .017 tip depending on what I'm spraying. I used to loath piston pumps but technology has made great strides over the years and atomization is now very close to that of air set ups. -Pix

Thank you all for the great info, my wife convinced to take the age route as pix posted. next guitar will be dark from day one.

Badeye     cool

one caper after another