Topic: 12 String Acoustic Choices

I want to buy a 12 string and I am looking at either a Yamaha or an Alvarez. I would appreciate any assistance with my choice. I plan on spending around $500.00.

Re: 12 String Acoustic Choices

Both are good choices with many used guitars available. I've found resale on these is low so I would recommend going the used route. I happen to know where you can purchase a 1973 Yamaha FG-260 (12 string) guitar.

Too Late  -  Today I bought An Aj60S12 Alvarez

Congrats KEG - I've got an Alvarez PJ85SC12DVS 12 string that I love (purchased from fellow chordian Guitarpix). Plays great, sounds great. If only she could change the strings herself... smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

KEG wrote:

Too Late  -  Today I bought An Aj60S12 Alvarez

Congrats I have an AD6012 and I absolutely love it. Couldn't be more thrilled with the quality, action and sound for the price I paid. Alvarez is a hidden gem in the low end market.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I also bought the AJ60S12. Accually its on lay away for a month. But I am really excited to get it home and disturb my live in critic (my wife). I used to ask her how songs sounded with my 6 string and she would say it sounded good - what was it? When I took her in and played the 12 string she was amazed and said she could even tell what I was playing. Do the strings break often on a 12 string?

KEG wrote:

I also bought the AJ60S12. Accually its on lay away for a month. But I am really excited to get it home and disturb my live in critic (my wife). I used to ask her how songs sounded with my 6 string and she would say it sounded good - what was it? When I took her in and played the 12 string she was amazed and said she could even tell what I was playing. Do the strings break often on a 12 string?

Nop. Same as a 6.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

i bought a guild 12 string last year. s/n AA100537. inside it's marked D-212 best to my research it's a 1981 model. bought it locally out of a buy/sell bulletin for $400.00 & it came with the original hardshell guild case. i believe this guitar is worth $1150.00 to $1350.00 on the used resale market & maybe a lot more as it's in excellent condition. anyway i didn't buy it to resell to make money on it. i just wanted to add a 12 string to my collection. this baby is sweet sounds really strong. the only complaint i have is that it's real hard to play barre chords. i don't know if this is just typical of 12 strings in general. other than that i just love the sound and looks of this guitar.