Topic: ANOTHER BORING DISCUSSION Beach Boys versus Beatles

They both started nice dressed and playing rock and Roll, the Beatles were 4 individuals, BB were family.
The one who should have been dead in the 60ties, is back on the road, BRIAN WILSON.
THEIR POWER WAS, MORE THAN THE BEATLES CLOSE HARMONY AND PERFECT PRODUCED SONGS
In fact it's 5 years R&Rll when the SMILE sessions, and PETSOUNDS. PETSOUNDS versus SGT PEPPER? I won't say anything. They are divine albums.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ANOTHER BORING DISCUSSION Beach Boys versus Beatles

Brian Wilson is truly gifted but no contest. The Beatles were far superior. All 4 members had talent (OK maybe 3!) but come on...the Beach Boys without Brian Wilson or their solo stuff no contest.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I grew up with both and like them both equally.  Depends on the mood I am in.  they both have a great sound.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

4 (edited by gitaardocphil 2010-01-02 16:07:48)

I adore their harmony, and surf = rock'n roll, but more melody. The others Dennis and Carl were also very talented and their cousin Mike Love.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I don't think there's a real comparison, but the Beach Boys certainly made some great records.  It should be noted that, in many cases, "The Beach Boys" were actually session musicians (Hal Blaine, Glen Campbell, etc.) playing under the direction of Brian Wilson.    This, alone, breaks the comparison to The Beatles, who utilized session musicians when necessary, but generally conceived and cut their own rhythm tracks.

I've noticed there is always a superior quality to vocal harmonies cut by either one singer (i.e. Billy Joel or Paul McCartney overdubbed) or members of the same family.  For this reason, I think the Beach Boys harmonies are a slight cut above The Beatles in most cases, with the possible exception of some of the stuff on Side B of Abbey Road.

All-in-all, I'll listen to The Beatles anytime, but when I play The Beach Boys, it's mostly for nostalgia and a summer feeling.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

I was at a bar and the band was doing songs from both.  They were able to do a nice job with the Beatles songs... they totally KILLED the Beach Boys songs... terrible.  Soooo... if nothing else, I haven't really heard very many that can (at least in a bar, a low end band) recreate what they did in a decent way.  So props to the Beach Boys for being sooo unique ... tho, I'd prefer to listen to the Beatles!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Actually, the Beach boys don't sound the greatest with their own songs when singing live, but I still liked their old music alot. Their studio recordings were always good.  I do think the beatles are much better over all, but I still like the Beach boys music.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Honestly I don't see the big deal. I think they are both unique in their musical talents, however Noone can do it like they do! ...but someone has to carry on the legends right, whether they kill it, rock it or try their hardest at Karaoke! At least the attempts are admirable, right?
Hi all, just getting in here...

I dabble, but nothing serious...not looking for a career just something to do! tongue

Couldn't agree with you more, Axel

Welcome to the site Axlenot!  Well... I agree and disagree with you.  You are totally right, no one can do it like them!  It is admirable, the attempts... however... my ears didn't think so at the time of listening to the "death of the Beach Boys" in a little hick bar.  Even large amounts of alcohol did NOT make these guys sound better.  Had it been Karaoke I'm sure I would have appreciated the attempt more .. but these guys were getting paid to kill them! LOL!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Oh snap, I thought I saw it was Karaoke...sorry bout that. Anyway, Michael Jackson, Elvis and the boy bands..they should all be off limits to impersonations! HE HE

I dabble, but nothing serious...not looking for a career just something to do! tongue

Have to admit that I wasnt a big fan of either of them ! preferred the Stones to the Beatles but having said that, we do Beach Boys numbers on our charity gigs.

cheers.

gag.

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!

Two awesome bands with two different unique styles that no one will ever be able to duplicate as all they have in common is the sixties and unfortunately... we will never see that time again. You just can't compare the two.
I recently watched a documentary on how the Beatles affected communism in Russia. It was fascinating to watch and learn how the Russian youth from the sixties to today were and still are caught up in their music. I'm sure if there was a  Beach Boys documentary you'd find the same.
Good call PapaTom

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Do you agree that at least 75% of beach boy's songs are very improved rock & roll songs?
A lot of their songs are in A - E - B chords.
The Beach boys' PETSOUNDS WAS ON OF THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON FOR SGT PEPPER by The Beatles. In a lot of top 100 albums you find on 1) SGT.PEPPER, and on 2) PET SOUNDS