Topic: Guitar playing injury's???

I have been beasting myself over the past week with playing for about 4 hours a day.

I have been in pain since Tuesday as my right wrist has swollen up and there is fluid in it from constantly strumming. sad

My wife has told me to rest for a few days, is that because she is sick of hearing me play or because she is concerned about my health?

Want to know if anyone else has had any injury's from playing. The funnier the better. For example:

Was playing in the kitchen and snapped a string. As it snapped the string went into a plug socket and conducted electricity through the other strings, (as it ran across them), and I got electricuted. Good news is my calleses are like leather, bad news, I have no hair!!! (that was going to happen any way when I got older. Always look on the bright side of life).

Looking forward to some cracking responses lol. big_smile

Re: Guitar playing injury's???

Such injuries are very common and have sidelined many professional musicians.    Almost always they are over-use injuries; your case of playing four hours daily is certainly too much for you at this point.
The old medic here would recommend the standard first try treatment course of R.I.C.E.

That's Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

First, (painful though it is to quit for a while) quit doing what you're doing.  Give yourself several days at least of no playing at all.    Second, use ice compresses to reduce inflammation and swelling.   (a good non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen or naproxen will help as well) Keep the hurting part elevated.
A week or so of this should dramatically improve things.   If not, it's a trip to the doc....

Then, try scaling back.  Practice an hour a day, or altenate your strumming with some finger-picking or scale work.

Worst injuries I get when playing, are to my pride, when I ask my wife, "how dose it sound ?", and the bugger tells me.
tonyblue

man is the dream of the doliphin

The thing is I don't want to stop. I can put the pain to one side when I'm playing. smile

Threw my back out once. That sheet music can be really heavy.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Tweedy, I have a topic about problems, mostly medical.
I can't play longer than 10'---> a "crushed" nerve in my left elbow.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

7 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-12-26 16:28:23)

gitaardocphil wrote:

Tweedy, I have a topic about problems, mostly medical.
I can't play longer than 10'---> a "crushed" nerve in my left elbow.

Hey Doc! Good to have ya back smile Just curious... Have you tried different scale length guitars or different playing positions, like a neck up classical position to offer you some relief. I sometimes use the classical (neck up body on left leg)position to play... It seems less stressful to me and I can play longer without fatigue that way. It keeps the elbow at more of a 45 degree angle versus the 90 degree angle of standard position. I'm sure you've probably tried these already but wanted to mention them just incase... All the best! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

haha these are funny. Now I don't feel so bad.....but I am sure this has not happened to too many people. I have been playing about 4 and a half years. I practised as much as possible. After 6 months or so, I noticed a "dent" forming across my right leg, where I rest the guitar. Probably from holding the guitar slightly on its edge, so I could see what my fingers were doing....it has never gone away, and sense I don't intend to quit playing, I guess I have to live with it. Even though I no longer "have" to look at my fingers...and I try to hold the guitar straight...it just slips into the dent...lol I tried holding it on the other leg, but it was not comfortable for me. And I really suck with a strap, so dent it is.... smile

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

OK, so I've never heard of a busted string in an electric socket before.  The fastest I've ever seen a dog get housebroken is when my first beagle decided to take a pee in my sister's house and urinated on an electric socket.  The charge went right up the stream and knocked him across the room by that most sensitive of appendages.  He never peed in the house again!  He checked out fine aside from a little burn that quickly healed, so it's OK to laugh.  That has nothing to do with guitar because that dog never could get the hang of a six string. 

Anyway, I was going to recommend RICE too.  The only thing I'll add to what was said is that "elevated" means "elevated above your heart."  If you lie down on a sofa, rest that arm on the back of the sofa.  Also, cold compresses don't do much for swelling after the first day of an inflammation, but they can help with temporary pain relief.  Don't do more than twenty minutes, and don't put the ice right on your skin.  I usually put the ice in a ziplock bag (double bagged) and put a tea towel between the ice and my skin, and then tie the whole thing on loosely with a bandanna.  Not tightly, as there's no need for a tourniquet. 

Don't fight through the pain.  Swelling and pain is a clue that there's something amiss.  If you fight through it, you could well cause more permanent damage.  Take a couple day's break.  You've got a whole lifetime of playing ahead of you.  Use the time to listen to some songs and try to figure out how they do what they do. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi PIXIE, it is now proven that it is a nerve "squeezed" in my elbow, probably while falling asleep in front of my PC.
ADVISE:
1) REST (already 5 months)
1a) There is progression, in stead of 3 fingers (pink  ring and middlefinger=50%, it's now ring finger with 50% not working.
2) SURGERY

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Had a few days off and my arm is fine now. Even managed to play in front of people for the first time on boxing day.

By the way, poor dog Zurf.

I caught the businness end of a fender bass right in the chops, in a bar trying to climb up on stage to get at the piano player who was hustling my girlfriend. Does that count.
Johnny V.

the only injury i ever got playing the guitar were blisters on me fingas lol i was just starting to play and practicing every free moment i could find then after about three days i noticed blisters  on every finger of my left hand and i  have big indents in my fingers that never go away from where the strings touch my fingers

Sometimes the forearm of my fret hand will cramp up depending upon the chord changes and rapidity of said changes.  I found a wrist brace will help especially when I do the "DEATH GRIP".  I do a lot of stretching to keep the fret hand and arm as flexible as possible during classes. 

But, ultimately, I go with the majority here as an exercise therapist and nurse.  RICE and cutting back on daily playing time are the bets to keep you playing for the long run.  And don't play thru the pain, that is your body trying to tell you something.  Listen to your body.  Carpal tunnel Syndrome is nothing to blow off.  And it has cursed many a musician.  Leon Fleischer, pianist, for one.  You can replace guitars and strings, hands are irreplaceable.

Hope things get better for you.

Peace

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I've only been playing for about a year. The only injuries I've come across have been
1) My left or right fingers tend to swell up every once in a while
2) I was in a high school gym class and the basket ball hit my finger the wrong way. I had to stop playing guitar for a couple of days because it had made my left index finger purple and it swelled up a whole bunch D;
#2's not really a guitar injury but I guess it effected my guitar playing.

no audience required.

Bad technique here.  I grip the neck like a baseball bat, and when I fret certain chords the edge of the neck drills down into the base of my index finger.  Over time it feels like it results in a deep bruise and hurts more than I want to admit.  Again, just overuse.  It gets better when I put the guitar down for a few days (which I hate doing).

Even with proper techique (thumb behind the neck), playing the guitar is not very ergonomically friendly anyway.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.