Topic: Newbie Strumming/Chord Question

Merry Christmas everyone.

I apologize if this has been asked a million times... I did a quick search and either found it tough to find a good search term... or just couldn't find an answer very quickly.

My wife bought me a guitar for christmas and I've been goofing around with it for part of the day. Many years ago I learned a few chords and can sorta change between them randomly.

I've got a couple questions related to the songs listed on this site.

First is about the difference between where the first cord of a song is placed. For example:

C                              G
This land is your land, this land is my land.

or

Em                            G                   D
No one knows what i's like, to be the bad man

What does it mean that the C in the first song starts on "your" but the Em starts right away on the second song?

C/D               A9
To be the sad man, behind blue eyes

I've also seen a few times a notation like C/D. What does the slash represent?

I've been researching strumming patterns on the web most of the day and have found many great tutorials. What I can't quite figure out how do you know which one to use for a a particular song?

Thanks for your help in advance,

-Eric

Re: Newbie Strumming/Chord Question

Sockmonkey, welcome to Chordie. You got questions we got answers.

Most songs have a given format of :

Intro
1st verse
2nd verse
Chorus
Solo
3rd verse
Return to Chorus
Tag.

This could be in any order but this will hold true for a lotta songs. The Intro chords are usually the chords within the 1st verse (solo is usually the same as well). My suggestion (and this is what I do) is to get a CD of the song, print out the sheet music, make sure the chords on the sheet music and the CD are in the same key. Once you have done all this begin listening to the CD, while listening you will start to pick up the rythem of the song (pick out something in a 4/4 timing and a simple 3 chord progression). In 4/4 timing there will be 4 beats per measure.
As you listen to the CD try to count the beats per mesure. This will be something like 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & repeat. (the repeat begins a new measure) Once you can get a feeling for the beat counts you will see how they equate to the strum pattern and when the chord changes occur. This is not something that you will be able to learn overnight. Prior to trying to learn a song I would suggest trying to learn some simple 3 chord progressions in G, C & D or D,
G & A or A, D & E until you become familar with them. Set up ypur own practice routine and practice.

Try this: (simple up and down strum with up = 1 and & = 2)
G                     G                    C                     C                     G                     G                    G                   G   
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1.

And repeat.

Nela

Hi Eric - Welcome to chordie and congrats on the new guitar. Hang in there, get past the initial finger pain and making music will bring a lifetime of joy.

First, please realize that the chords / tabs you find on the internet are offered by fellow musicians and leave room for interpretation. Some are great, some not so much. The number 1 rule in my book is "If it sounds good, it is good". What I mean is experiment a bit, don't take the written notation literally.

So your first example:
                 C                              G
This land is your land, this land is my land.

If taken literally, the vocals would start before the first chord and the first strum would begin as you sing "your". That may be fine, but if it sounds better strumming the C at the start, do it!

The C/D is typically known as a "slash" chord, in this example being a C chord with a D note in the bass. Do a search on slash chords - there have been many discussions. Here is a link to a large chord chart that gives many examples of chord variations:

http://www.guitarnotes.com/guitar/notes2/ultimate.pdf

Again, realize that the chords are just an individuals interpretation. In many cases a substitute chord will sound just fine (a simple C in this example). Also, oftentimes I find it useful to click on the "Original version" link - sometimes that will lend a clue as to the intended fingering.

Strumming patterns - My advice again is to listen to and play along with the song. Feel the tempo and pattern, don't get hung up on a formula - If it sounds good it is good!!  There are also many discussions on strumming patterns here and several good video examples, just search the forum for strum patterns.

And finally - justinguitar.com - check out his free beginner lessons with video. An invaluable resource.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi Sockmonkey,
Firsr thing I do is write down all the words and group them into intro, verses, bridge etc...
Then write the chords IN RED above the part of the word (syllable) where you hear the chord change. This helps with your word phrasing as well as prompting you on the rhythm and strum pattern.
I sometimes make an accent mark if there is no chord change over a word where the one beat or an important beat comes down.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Welcome to Chordie.  Give your wife a big smooch for getting you a guitar. 

Generally the chords in those charts aren't placed exactly right.  And sometimes they allow a lot of room for interpretation.  Given that you're a beginner, you are in the PERFECT situation to arrange difficult passages and use the excuse "Hey, I'm new at this!"  I use that a lot.  Although, people are starting to question me on that, and it's probably time for another cheap excuse.  Guitar playing is TERRIFIC for coming up with cheap and/or humorous excuses. 

You'll get into the hang of the chord placement.  Youtube is also a valuable resource.  Not only can you generally find videos of original artists doing the songs, but you can also find guys like Fretkiller (a bit of a legend on Chordie) who does terrific acoustic arrangements and his videos are closeups of his fretting hand showing you EXACTLY how he does it.  (Please note that this guy is terrificly talented and makes everything look easy.  It isn't.)  Once you get some basic chords down, I'd recommend going over to Goldhat.  Search on "Goldhat Lessons" and you'll find some good arrangements of Sissified Seventies Folk/Pop music, which is my favorite genre. 

There's a million good resources.  Probably www.justinguitar.com has the best beginner lesson and skill development plan of any free resource. 

Good luck.  Have fun.  Stick with it through the initial finger pain.  It IS worth it.  It usually takes about a year to get to where you can recognize something, and longer before people start wondering whether you brought your guitar with you when you go somewhere.  But stick with it, enjoy the journey, don't be too hard on yourself.  If you can follow that advice, you just found yourself a lifetime of challenge and fun.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Excellent answers here... not sure I can offer much more help than the others have, so I just want to say... Congrats on your guitar and welcome to the forum!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes and kind advice. I'll be spending some time at justinguitar.com over the next while for sure. I'm especially glad to have some direction when it comes to youtube guitar videos. There's an overwhelming number of such things and I was starting to get a little ADD with them.

The best advice in this thread so far was something I hadn't thought of and I feel a little silly. Listen to the original music. So simple! Why didn't I think of that? It turns out that sampling iTunes songs is enough to get a sense of the song (even tho I just bought a copy of Peter Paul and Mary's "This Land is Your Land") without spending a $1 to buy it. So thanks to NELA for that. I've started marking up the words (in red with accents) after listening to both PM&M and Woodie Guthrie versions. Hopefully someday in the not too distant future it'll sound like a song.

Ok my next question of what will probably be many more... Should the strings of my guitar be the same distance away from the frets all the way down the neck? The closer to the bridge my strings are a little further away. Does that matter? My neck isn't warped already is it?

Thanks again to everyone.

-Eric

That string thing is normal.  It keeps your strings from buzzing on the frets closer to the bridge when you finger notes.  If it's a LOT further away, you should think about getting a professional set-up on your guitar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

That string thing is normal.  It keeps your strings from buzzing on the frets closer to the bridge when you finger notes.  If it's a LOT further away, you should think about getting a professional set-up on your guitar. 

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf... I checked with the guy who recommended this Alvarez to my wife to buy for me and he said that the strings are just kinda high on this guitar. Whew! Today was the last day we were able to return it.

Thanks,

-Eric

Maybe the mods can also delete this post from he who was banned?

Sockmonkey... hmmm... now what are you going to get???  It's better if you go in yourself and check them out... get a feel for them... what is nice to fret, sounds nice, etc!  happy hunting!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Gotta have one of the section mods delete the spam.   Any mod can ban a spammer, but the section mods are the only ones that can modify posts in their forums.

They've been notified, and I'm sure will be here shortly to clean up.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

mekidsmom wrote:

Maybe the mods can also delete this post from he who was banned?

Sockmonkey... hmmm... now what are you going to get???  It's better if you go in yourself and check them out... get a feel for them... what is nice to fret, sounds nice, etc!  happy hunting!

It was a busy holiday weekend we couldn't take the time to head to Hilo to have the shop take a look at the action. I've been reassured by a few people that the guitar is in fact fine and that I'm just neurotic.

The justinguitar lessons are going well... and my fingers hurt. Pretty awesome.

Thanks everyone.

-Eric

Hi
Guitar strings should be the same distance from the finger board at the first and twelth frets. place one finger at the first fret and another at the twelth fret , the height should be the same if not you neck is either to tight or loose. thighten or loosen the truss rod until height is equal.  Hope this helps

In the words of Keith Richard: "Stuff Happens people"
:cool
(Edited to remove profanity. -Pix)