Topic: Cool Sounding Blues Lick

Hey Everybody.

Heres a post for blues, and even some jazz players out there who want to learn a blues/ jazz lick on the guitar.

Firstly play this in 4/4 timing / 120 bpm, if you dont understand timing - this please ask and i'll happily make a new post! Also if you can't read tab - which this is, i would be also glad to do the same!

Anyways Blues And Jazz Are similar in a lot of ways depending what way you look at it - they both include long improvisation on the guitar / other instruments, mainly trumpets, organs etc.. but playing these styles of music is sometimes hard if you cannot' feel' the music, so progressing is difficult and long winded. Like so many other good players i have met - you have come onto this blog hopefully finding the 'lost progresion' unfortunatly no this is not it, but its a good lick none the less!. So here i am showing you how to play a little lick that i learned.    This  is in the key of A  (5th fret)   

HI E         |                            |
               \/  PLAYED TWICE  \/                                     
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E |                      5 |                            |   7                     |    5                        |                           5   |
B |            5   7      |              5   7   5   |         9               |           7                 |                 5   7        |
G |      5-6             |        5-6                |               7         |                  5u        |          5-6                 |
D |   7                   |    7                       |                      9  |                         7   |      7                        |
A |                        |                             |                          |                              |                               |
E |                        |                             |                          |                              |                               |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Low E

( the hyphon " - " is represented as a hammer-on and " u " is represented as a slight string bend)

Ok yes i am terrible at making tabs - oh well! this is only a rouge guide to help people anyway - have fun!

All the Best,

chordiehelper123 =p

'The journey maybe long, but in the end, its only with your trusty guitars'
Chordiehelper123  =p

Re: Cool Sounding Blues Lick

Thanks for the tab.  you will find lots and lots of help on this site, just ask and you will be answered.

but blues and jazz being similar I find hard to understand.  I play blues, but I can not play jazz.  I think that you need a deep understanding of the music to be able to play it.
tonyblue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: Cool Sounding Blues Lick

i would tend to agree in most ways tony - but i feel that jazz is more climb, yet blues is more of the struggle.  how well you play them however -  depends what kind of a mood your in, yes there are chords which are hard to play involved in playing jazz, but an easy jazz sounding chord progression which i use in standard 12 bar timing (4/4) is:

repeat twice
           .-------------------.
             x2             x1       
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|           5               5           |            7               5             |              5                    0
B|           5               5           |            7               5             |              5                    0
G|           6               5           |            7               5             |              6                    1 
D|           5               4           |            6               4             |              5                    0
A|           7               5           |            7               5             |              7                    2
E|           5               x           |            x               x             |              5                    0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A7                                                                                                              E7
      (barred)

Anyway hope that helped you understand where im coming from - by the way, A7 - B7 - A7 - C7 is the backing track to the main posted lick, again 4/4 timing; standard progression.

Hope this helps you out,

chordiehelper123 =p

'The journey maybe long, but in the end, its only with your trusty guitars'
Chordiehelper123  =p