1 (edited by m_kostenuk 2009-12-10 21:11:42)

Topic: Parlor or 3/4 Size Guitars

Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to the Chordie Forum.  I used to "hack" around on a guitar years ago, and just this past spring bought an inexpensive Yamaha six-string and started taking weekly lessons.  I'm having a blast!

I'm interested in getting a smaller guitar for fooling around on at home.  My neighbour has a parlor guitar that's fun to play and he loves it.  I'm not looking to spend a lot of bread on one right now (however, I know how THAT changes in a hurry), but I'd be interested in any tips you might have to aid me in my search.  I live outside of a small town in Nova Scotia so regular trips to the music store are a bit of a chore.  Essentially, I'm hoping for some starting points.

Thanks

Nothing exceeds like excess.

Re: Parlor or 3/4 Size Guitars

The best advice that you can get (and will get plenty more of) is to take that trip to the music store and try them out.  Find what feels right to you and sounds good.  I'm kind of a small person, and the 3/4 size fits me well... mine is also an Ibanez, which has a slightly thinner body (width wise from the front to the back) and I really liked that when I compared it to other 3/4's that were actually more expensive (plus I really enjoyed the tone from this guitar compared to the others... it's nylon strings just sound soooo mellow - and right - to me).  My husband looks huge when he holds my guitar... I look comfy "in it". 

As you start to search on info that describes what makes up a great acoustic you're going to soon get into tonewoods, grain, etc.  Take your time and do a little research along with trying some out in different sizes and with different price tags on!  GOOD LUCK!

OH... and WELCOME TO CHORDIE!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Good advice from mekidsmom.   I just down-scaled from a dreadnaught to an "O" sized instrument (Yamaha APX-500) because of shoulder problems.
It hurt to wrap my arm around that big dreadnaught for more than a few minutes, and I didn't want to play standing up all the time.

The small-bodied Yamaha is just fine and has good electrics if I need more volume.    There were a good half-dozen smaller guitars at Guitar Center; I really liked the Dean I looked at but it was out of my price range.

Thanks for both replies.  MKM, I would most certainly try one out before purchasing.  I was unaware that Ibanez made a 3/4 so that's good to know.

Bikewer, I'm looking for onboard electrics so I'll definately check out the APX-500.

I'm loving this forum!

The Ibanez that I have is a classical (nylon string) acoustic.  I don't think they have much in the electro-acoustic department in the 3/4 size.  They came out with ONE nylon string 3/4 acoustic jam pack this summer... before that... they had one that was a guitar center exclusive (that's the one I have).  ENJOY looking!

I've been studying the small-bodied guitars as well. I played all the so-called travel guitars...yuck! And besides most look goofy. For a new guitar that is also inexpensive try the Yamaha FS line. Takamine has a beautiful G406S for about $399. Or look into Recording King guitars. I spend a LOT of time scouring Craig's List but in order to be successful with this approach you really need to know what you want and pounce upon discovery.

The Little Martin is a great sounding 3/4 size guitar. It sounds like a full sized guitar just not as loud. Then Taylor has the Baby Taylor that is a 3/4 size that is just as good. I think both are priced at around $300. As for parlor size look at Seagull and Yamaha APX series. The Fender Malibu is also pretty good for the money.

When I was looking, before I purchased my Ibanez, the Little Martin and Baby Taylor were common suggestions by more than one Chordie member.  So... if you can do the $300 price absolutely look at those!  Thanks dfoskey for the reminder!  I ended up staying under $200 with mine... but had I been able to double my money or wait a little longer for more money those would have been on the list!  I know there was a Yamaha (don't remember the model etc) at the store when I purchased mine... it was about $50 more than the Ibanez I bought and was VERY similar... the Ibanez was just a tiny bit thinner front to back.  I think a MAN would probably prefer the Yamaha ... my husband and son still say they feel like they'll break my guitar because of how "thin" it feels.... but it sounds very strong (with picking) and mellow (with the fingers).  ABSOLUTELY still say... check them out in store.  Taking that trip will make all the difference if you haven't visited and just played a bunch of guitars yet!  PLUS... It's FUN!

I bought a Baby Taylor, but that was one that I found in a Pawn shop at a good price...I was impressed by the sound and craftsmanship...bought it on impulse and gave it to my little Grandson. If I had actually been shopping for one then I would have considered many others as well...but I am very happy with the Taylor.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Try a Yamaha FG-75. Old, but decent, inexpensive, and readily available.

All of you folks have been wonderfully informative.  I now have at least a "baseline" that I can use when I get into Halifax (2 1/2 hrs away) to try out guitars.

Thanks so much!

I just had a piezo pickup installed on my Yamaha acoustic, plugged my guitar into a little Crate amp I got off ebay, and played a couple of jazz ballads.

Who knew you could have this much fun?