Topic: IF YOU ARE HEALTHY YOU ARE RICH.

Why this topic?
- A LOT OF PEOPLE DO HAVE PROBLEMS, PHYSICAL PROBLEMS and add some PSYCHOLOGICAL too.

THIS TOPIC CAN BE USEFUL OR HELPFUL IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS, CAUSING DIFFICULTIES TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT

1) MY PROBLEM: since August 2009, I have a "crushed nerve" in my elbow, resulting in a loss of power, sensitivity, and BECAUSE IT'S MY LEFT HAND = 1/2 middlefinger + ring finger and my pinky. RESULT: I can't play guitar, which a catastrophe because I am already disabled.
TREATMENT:
- rest + avoiding my elbow & fingers
- I'll try "PHYSIOTHERAPY" electric stimulation, BUT that nerve can be 50% "destroyed"

SO, THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT HAVING MEDICAL SITUATIONS & PROBLEMS
Q: is it difficult to learn playing guitar using your left hand to strum and the right fingers to play A, B, C...E..?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: IF YOU ARE HEALTHY YOU ARE RICH.

I lost my teeth and my job as a professional trumpet player but after implant surgery, am able to play tuba just fine. Tuba doesn't require pressure playing of huge lip strength.
I tried to switch to left handed guitar playing because my left hand is slow. It was like starting all over.
Slide guitar may also be a practical direction.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

3 (edited by bensonp 2009-12-17 19:52:45)

I have tried to imagine playing left handed.  Even the strumming would be difficult.  And as for holding down chords with the opposite hand, this would take, as tubatooter said, learning all over from scratch.  Of course it can be done, but very slowly, I'm sure.  We know it is a matter of finger memory, which would be very hard for most of us, to train those fingers to automatically press down the right strings in the right frets.  I know you enjoyed playing in the past, and while relearning would be a huge ordeal, the satisfaction you would ultimately get would be well worth it.  Have you tried playing left handed yet?  The biggest thing you have going for you, as opposed to a brand new player, is that you already know the chords and strumming patterns.  now, just training those fingers to move to the right place will take lots of practice.  I don't envy you, but the sheer challenge and gratification and determination should spur you on.  I wish you the best of luck.  As for psychological problems, they are all just in your head.  Being right or left handed is a brain issue, so it is psychological, as it turns out.  So you may have a whole new set of problems to deal with.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have a good Christian friend who is  Musically multutalented.
His business is a music shop where he sells and demonstrater playing.Piano, Flute Trumpet, Guitar, Keyboards, Accordions, Drumbs.He can play them all extreamnly well.  About five years ago while out hunting he slipped and the shot gun blew off three fingers on his left hand .
I remember him crying to me. Laurence my world has endede how will i ever earn my living?
With determination he has becom a professional agaon using his first finger and thumb.
His playing is excellent. Where there is a will there is a way.God BlessYou Guys.
Pastor Laurence

I've been waiting for Toney to chime in here, but perhaps he is too proud. That's right, Chordie's own Southpaw used to be a righty prior to a bad boating accident. Here's an article from a few years ago:

Toney Hall was enjoying a day of water-skiing with friends on Claytor Lake in Virginia when, without warning, the boat's steering cable broke.

The boat lurched, tossing Hall into the water. It happened so quickly that Hall was back in the boat before he began to comprehend how this would change his life. Hall had been hit by the boat's propeller.

"It was gruesome," Hall said. "I was freaking out because my left hand was shredded from the elbow down."

Now, 20 years later, Hall is playing guitar and singing at a local restaurant. The audience smiles and shouts out song requests. I watch, awed at the human spirit's resilience.

Hall, of Largo, began playing in bands while still in high school in Virginia.

"The first time I held a guitar I wanted to make it my career," Hall said. "After the accident both of my hands were useless for months."

He underwent two surgeries on his right hand and a grueling 13 reconstructive surgeries on the left. He lost his left thumb and most of the control, feeling and strength of the fingers on the left hand.

His doctors advised him to give up the guitar.

"I've always been motivated by someone telling me I can't do something," Hall said.

Using a mirror to relearn the guitar, Hall struggled for two years as a left-handed player before he even felt adequate.

"It still doesn't feel natural," Hall said. "If I dream about playing guitar or I start to play air guitar with the radio, I play right-handed."

His damaged fingers can't hold a pick in his left hand.

"I tried Popsicle sticks with electrical tape and bandaging a pick to my hand but nothing worked," Hall said. "Finally, I got creative with super glue and created a pick I can use."

Hall's creation is simple. Using a thumb pick, a finger pick and two more picks, he has created a brace that slips onto his strumming fingers.

In 2002, Hall got married. With the blessing of his wife, Rosetta, he left his full-time job to focus on music.

Hall is a stay-at-home parent by day and plays private parties and local restaurants by night. He played 375 gigs in 2007.

He's developed a following, including Cher and Jim Hoffman of Largo.

"Toney's a great musician," Cher said. "He always gets the crowd going."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninter … 497450.ece

I couldn't imagine doing it, but it can be done if you're dedicated enough as Toney was / is.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

G'day all,
Certainly is some resilient people out there. I had a bit of a double whammy over the last few years myself. To cut a long story short,my voice packed it in and was given up for dead by the doctors until I found one who said he could fix it and he did( major surgery) but I had to learn to sing all over again and its better than ever. I am a lecturer as well so I was at the point of giving up the best job I have ever had and the guitar and singing as well . I was so low I was looking up at down I tell you.....
Then...I had bad pain in my arm for some time and it turned out to be my cervical vertabrae had degenerated and the discs had bulged out crushing the nerves to my right (strumming) arm. But again found a top doctor and after some major surgery (again) I am a new man !! Extremely poor now but a new man...they say adversity builds character...

What else can possibly go wrong hey lol...:)

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

You see? I am not alone. If needed I can give advise, but most of us with a problem know already an answer.
FIRST "better news: I tried to play guitar for 5' and guess what, I can play a chord or 3, = my colleague-(prophets) told me: 50% bad news (lesion irreversible) AND 50% patience, patience since August 2009.

Q: what is worse? BLIND or DEAF ---> Jeff Healey & Pete Townshend. MY RESPECT AND ADMIRATION FOR THE ONE HAND DRUMMER in DEF LEAPARD.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate your thoughts and mindful sentiments. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Lieven,

You can do it if you want it enough. Sometimes things are more difficult than logic reasons. In other words, life is sometimes unfair and harder for some than others.  Never feel sorry for yourself, just set your sights on a goal and try like hail to attain said goal(s).

Wishing you only the best of luck and fortune.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Inspiring thread.

Go get 'em doc.  Sorry to hear about the crushed nerve.  According to the docs, the nerves in my hands and feet are misplaced, but they're the only nerves I've ever had.  So I may feel things differently from other people, but who really knows how other people feel anyway? 

Anyway, I'd think trying to play left handed would be something you may be able to do.  Alternate instruments are also possible.  I'm not sure if you feel the need to play guitar, or the need to express yourself musically.  Autoharp, mountain dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, fiddle, and cello would be all other ways to express yourself just within the stringed instrument family.  If you're willing to expand, there are many others. 

I hope it all works out for one way or another.  Keep your chins up. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sorry to here you are having your problems phil,I guess I am lucky as I am ambedextrios,but I can not play as well with my left hand. Have you gave any thought to trying piano.? I feel very lucky after reading all the stories above.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dear Southpaw, you have a point. If we would put our misery in a gigantic room, to store our "misery", WE WOULD PICK OUR OWN PROBLEM.
I am aware of the fact that it is really painful to write something here [b][u]but this is discrete, all we know is a "nickname" and sometimes a picture.
I am better, I even played some guitar but those 2 fingers!!!!!!