1 (edited by rogerjamtill 2009-11-26 09:59:32)

Topic: shaftsbury rodeo 12 string

Ive had a shaftsbury rodeo 12 string for many years. I use to play years ago and have in the last 6 months taken it up again. I now play a lot and enjoying it very much. I have made the 12 string into a 6 string it sounds ok but wondering if anybody has done the same or should I leave it as 12 and buy a 6 string. regards roger

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

Re: shaftsbury rodeo 12 string

Hey Roger and Welcome to Chordie! You can string it as a 6 with no real problems... However you may lose some tone. Guitars are made to work with a givin amount of pressure on the top. 12 strings require more pressure to bring it to that resonate state because of their heavier bracing they have to stand up to the tension of 12 strings... If you go to only 6 strings you considerably reduce that pressure and the top won't vibrate/produce sound as well. You can counteract this by using a heavier gauge string to add some of that tension back. I'd start with mediums but you may have to move up to med/heavys before the sounds back were it should be. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: shaftsbury rodeo 12 string

Hi Pix, Thanks for that info on the 12 string, I will try changing the strings. I have also put a pickup on it and I think that helps a bit, but saying that I did used to like the 12 string tone. all the best Roger

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.