Re: Cooking thread...

well that was a quick reply,lol. and an honest one.

I l;ove food too

I cooked a big meal on Saturday night for 10 folk. Roast lamb with garlic, lemon, corriander, onions and mushrooms, roast pork with apples and onions with mash totties, baby totties, brocolli, carrots, sprouts and a superb gravy.
Then in the morning I cooked them all a big fry up, Squared sliced sausage ( a scottish delicacy) black pudding ( the real stuff from thr isle of skye) potatoe scones, fried eggs, fried mushies, bacon.
Tonight was the first time i have not cooked dinner since thursday, it was good to sit back and let my wife cook for me.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Normandy chicken.

Ingredients
75g butter
8 skinless chicken thighs
6 shallots, halved
4 celery sticks, chopped
300ml apple juice (or cider)
300ml good-quality fresh chicken stock, hot
200ml crème fraîche
4 eating apples, such as Cox’s or Braeburn, cored and cut into wedges
3 tbsp chopped fresh chives, to serve
Method
1. Heat 50g butter in a roasting tin on the hob and brown the chicken thighs all over, turning as needed. Add the shallots and celery and cook for a few minutes. Pour over the apple juice and stock and season to taste. Bring to the boil, then cover tightly with foil and cook for 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced. Stir in the crème fraîche and bring just to the boil, then simmer for 1 minute.
2. Heat the rest of the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the apple wedges and fry for 5 minutes until lightly coloured. Stir the apples into the chicken. Sprinkle with some chopped chives and serve. This is great with French beans, broccoli and mashed potato.

Simple but gorgeous.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

103 (edited by wlbaye 2009-10-12 23:26:59)

Ken I think you need to adopt me, I am tired of cookin , too bad it's such a long ride. I would invite myself over for supper smile

upyerkilt wrote:

well that was a quick reply,lol. and an honest one.

I l;ove food too

I cooked a big meal on Saturday night for 10 folk. Roast lamb with garlic, lemon, corriander, onions and mushrooms, roast pork with apples and onions with mash totties, baby totties, brocolli, carrots, sprouts and a superb gravy.
Then in the morning I cooked them all a big fry up, Squared sliced sausage ( a scottish delicacy) black pudding ( the real stuff from thr isle of skye) potatoe scones, fried eggs, fried mushies, bacon.
Tonight was the first time i have not cooked dinner since thursday, it was good to sit back and let my wife cook for me.

Ken

Later, Wayne P

I just cooked my spanish rice and pork concoction.....yum.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Old Doll wrote:

Normandy chicken.

Ingredients
75g butter
8 skinless chicken thighs
6 shallots, halved
4 celery sticks, chopped
300ml apple juice (or cider)
300ml good-quality fresh chicken stock, hot
200ml crème fraîche
4 eating apples, such as Cox’s or Braeburn, cored and cut into wedges
3 tbsp chopped fresh chives, to serve
Method
1. Heat 50g butter in a roasting tin on the hob and brown the chicken thighs all over, turning as needed. Add the shallots and celery and cook for a few minutes. Pour over the apple juice and stock and season to taste. Bring to the boil, then cover tightly with foil and cook for 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced. Stir in the crème fraîche and bring just to the boil, then simmer for 1 minute.
2. Heat the rest of the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the apple wedges and fry for 5 minutes until lightly coloured. Stir the apples into the chicken. Sprinkle with some chopped chives and serve. This is great with French beans, broccoli and mashed potato.

Simple but gorgeous.

Old Doll.

that sounds absoultly amazing

I don't have a good quote so I'm quoting myself... ok I'm done

Apples are in season right now in NY State - I've made 4 pies, 1 mini-pie, 24 muffins, 10 servings of applesauce and an apple crisp... all from a little less than a bushel of apples... of course, everyone has been munching on the apples as well, and I still have apples left.  I'd try your recipe Old Doll but for some reason I think my hubby would be scared of cooked apples in his dinner.  It does sound lovely to me however!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.