1 (edited by anastasiak112 2009-10-05 21:18:42)

Topic: Rhyming Dictionary

Hello everyone.

I was just browsing online for a rhyming dictionary, and of course there are so many of them... I would like to get your trusted feedback... anyone out there use one?  And if so, which one would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Anastasia

Re: Rhyming Dictionary

Hi,

I was given a link at some stage. I tried it once but never again. It was to much hassle i felt.  Thesaurus if needs be i use. I also have a very old dictionary [ owned  originally by my Dad ] I sometimes refer to this book also.

Good luck to you.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

http://www.rhymezone.com/

I'm sure there's millions of others

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

If you need to, just type in the word and add the word rhyme - that will usually get you a selection.

Don't just go by the straight spelling, however. There are often a number of ways of spelling the same sound.

You can also use half rhymes that use either the vowel sounds or the consonants to rhyme. Also similar sounding consonants can be swopped to find an assonance - so change an N for an M, a P for a B, a V for an F etc - which can leadd you in a different direction for a neat end to a line.

When you are doing that be conscious of two things

1. Know where you would like to go in the story of the song, but don't be afraid to follow a new route if you get a kicking hook arising out of the rhyming process - just drop things and go !

2. Don't just find a rhyme and give up - try and get the rhyme to fit without breaking the song to fit the rhyme.

Last thing - if you can't get a rhyme - revise the whole song, you may be able to find a sweeter way to say what you mean to say.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Thank you all.

geoaguiar: I'm sure there are too, but it's always nice to start where others have been, and recommend. smile

StranSongs: Thanks for the great advice!

A.