1 (edited by PapaTom 2009-10-01 14:06:19)

Topic: Funky Format When Printing Songs

When I used to print songs off Chordie, they would print without "tables."  Often, the chords were not positioned correctly above the lyrics, but that wasn't a big problem.

NOW, every time I print a song, it's in a table format -- and the chords STILL are not positioned properly.  However, because they are printed as tables, fixing them is not as simple as dragging a chord a little bit to match it to the correct lyrics.  Now I have to cut all the text and chords out of the table and paste them into plain paragraph format if I want the chart to look right.

Is there a way to print a song without having it embedded in a table?

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Re: Funky Format When Printing Songs

Are you speaking of the chord charts when you mention "tables"? These can be located to the right or bottom, or turned off. Please provide a link to specific songs you are having an issue with as I don't understand the problem.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

>>>>Are you speaking of the chord charts when you mention "tables"? These can be located to the right or bottom, or turned off. Please provide a link to specific songs you are having an issue with as I don't understand the problem.<<<<

It's EVERY song on Chordie.  When you print any song, it prints as a table, with chords above the lyrics.  By "table," I mean a series of rows and columns that are designed to keep the chords and lyrics properly aligned.  You don't see the table when you open the song and view it on Chordie.  It only comes up when you print.

The problem is, I like to tweak the changes a bit, change the font size, etc before printing.  This means I have to completely de-construct the table and recreate the song on a fresh page.  It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit of a pain.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I can solve this by going into the mode that lets you "correct" songs.  Perhaps the format is different there.  Let me try that!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

papa
everything works fine for me and others.
I think you maybe have to do a few settings on yer printer.

I am sure someone solved this by settings on their printer before

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

How do I correct this issue on the Chordie site? I am attempting to add certain songs to my songbook, but the screen changes to all blue type and the song is not saved.

OK, I just realized that I left a very important piece of information out of my "complaint."  This is something that even I forgot was part of the process.

When I find a song that I want to print, the first thing I do is highlight the entire song, cut it, and paste it into a blank MS Word document.  This gives me the flexibility to change the font size, make corrections to the chord changes, etc.  However, it ALSO creates those tables that are such a pain in the butt.

Try one now and you'll see what I mean.

So, somewhere in the Chordie formatting must be a table, even though it is invisible when you view a tab within the Chordie website.  My mission, then, is to figure out how to copy the lyrics and the chord changes without copying the whole table.

Is this any clearer?  I KNOW I'm not crazy!!!!!!

Have you tried using wordpad or notepad?

8 (edited by arkady 2009-10-01 21:43:31)

Hi PapaTom
There's no real way of directly copying Chopro to word or similar app ie having chords displayed above lyrics without tables. However if you use the "Chopro" button on the right of the right of the page of the song you want to copy it then converts the song to pre chopro format. The chords changes are shown between the lyrics and can be copied into word as direct copy. Not ideal but can be edited etc for printing out.
hope this helps
ark

Also copy and paste to this website link http://webchord.sourceforge.net/ converts to chopro format but not sure how it prints out.

Hmm.  Both the ChoPro solution and the Word Pad solution work just fine.  I'm learning a heck of a lot about Chordie today.  Thank you, everybody!