Topic: Strumming Pattern Video, Attn Roger

Here's a strumming pattern video of  Tom Dooley,  Mekidsmom was wondering how I would do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4LGIJ5PXxw

Later, Wayne P

Re: Strumming Pattern Video, Attn Roger

Thought folks might be interested in a little history (it's interesting to me anyway).

Tom Dooley (Dula actually) lived very near my current home. From Wiki:

Thomas C. Dula (June 22, 1845 – May 1, 1868)[1][2] was a former Confederate soldier, who was tried, convicted, and hanged for the murder of his fiancée, Laura Foster. The trial and hanging received national publicity from newspapers such as The New York Times, thus turning Dula's story into a folk legend. While the murder happened in Wilkes County, North Carolina, the trial, conviction, and execution took place in Statesville, North Carolina. There was considerable controversy around his conviction and execution. In subsequent years, a folk song was written (entitled “Tom Dooley� , based on the pronunciation in the local dialect), and many oral traditions were passed down, regarding the sensational occurrences surrounding the murder of Foster, and Dula's subsequent execution.[1][3] The Kingston Trio recorded a hit version of the murder ballad in 1958.[4]

Upon returning from the war, Dula discovered that Ann had married James Melton. Given his reputation as something of a libertine,[2] it did not take Dula long to take up with young Laura. She became pregnant shortly thereafter, and she and Dula decided to elope. On the night she was to meet Dula, she left her home, never to be seen alive again.[1] While it is not known for certain what happened that evening, many of the stories that have grown out of the folklore of the time implicate Ann Melton in some way. Some believe that Ann may have murdered Laura Foster because she was still in love with Dula and was jealous that Laura was marrying him; others believe that perhaps Dula knew or suspected that Ann had murdered Foster, but because he still loved Ann he refused to implicate her after he was arrested and took the blame for the murder. In fact, it was Ann's word that led to the discovery of the girl's body. Foster had been stabbed multiple times with a large knife. The gruesome nature of the murder - combined with the fact that Laura Foster was pregnant when she was killed - captured national attention, and most likely led to the enduring notoriety of the crime.[1]

The role of Dula in the slaying is unclear. He fled shortly after her body was found – when he was declared a suspect – working for a time for Colonel James Grayson, in Watauga County,[2] before taking refuge across the state line in Trade, Tennessee. Grayson would enter folklore as a romantic rival of Dula's, but this was not true. It was simply an incorrect inference drawn from the lyrics of the song, and became more widespread as the actual facts of the case were largely forgotten. Grayson did, however, help the Wilkes County posse bring Dula in, once his identity was discovered.[1]

After Dula was arrested, North Carolina Governor Zebulon Vance represented him pro bono, and maintained Dula's innocence of the charges. He succeeded in having the trial moved from Wilkesboro to Statesville, as it was widely believed that Dula would never receive a fair trial in Wilkes County. Dula was convicted, and although he was given a new trial on appeal he was convicted again. His supposed accomplice, Jack Keaton, was set free and, on Dula's word, Melton was acquitted of the crime. As he stood on the gallows facing his death, he is reported to have said, “Gentlemen, do you see this hand? I didn’t harm a hair on the girl’s head� . He was executed nearly two years after the murder of his fiancée, on May 1, 1868. His younger sister and her husband retrieved his body for burial after the execution.

A link to pics his grave marker:

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/johnson/legends/tom_dula.htm

Thanks for the lesson Wayne!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Nice Story Tops,

I had never played this on guitar, we used to play and sing it on piano when I was a kid. Mekidsmom wanted to know how I would strum it so I  sat down and did a vid.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wilbaye and topdown.

I enjoyed that link. Probably the first song i ever heard been learned on  guitar.

Its great also to get the history to the song. Dula was a wee handsome man, no wonder he got in trouble with the women.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Nice job on that Wayne, That was also one of the first songs I learned to play and sing at the same time. I have the album by the Kingston Trio around somewhere. I think I'll go on a treasure hunt as its been a while since I've heard the song and the harmonies. big_smile

Thanks for the history lesson Topdown...All these years I've known this song I never knew it was a true story. Very Cool Indeedy. big_smile

Thanks Mekidsmom for tweeking Waynes interest in this. It  really is a great song big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Leave it to Topdown to dig up the facts, he's very good at such things, on the ball, as you know Topdown I'm here in the same area, and did not know the history of that song, well done!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks Wayne, it is now added to the 'Sticky'

I remember Lonnie Donegan singing this a few years ago - oops showing my age again I just checked on Wikipedia it is a 1958 recording - will anyone believe that it was re-released in the 80's lol. Mind you I am pleased to see that Kenny's 'Kingston Trio' version was released in the same year.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Roger,

I cannot comment on any matters concerning age. I am currently in the doghouse with Old Doll and I will be on probation for a while smile

Later, Wayne P

That was really interesting reading I must have sung the song more times then I can count and never knew the story was taken from real life thanks Topdown for the history lesson smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi topdown,myself like others here have played this song many times. I never thought it was a real story,and that was a great history of the song,thanks for taking the time too put it all down here and sharing it with us.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

WOW!  Wayne you work FAST!  I just asked about this yesterday, and BLAM there it is!  Thank you so very much!  I'm going to work on your strumming pattern for this.  I think that this might just solve my issue between how I want to play it, and how my dad did it... and give me that sound I'm looking for.  I can't wait... I'll have my guitar out in about an hour working on it. 

I'm getting very excited about all the different strumming patterns that can be done... "Running Bear" just popped into my head ... I'm thinking that will be my next "fun strum" song.  Now that one, I know how to do... I can hear it clearly (it's still in my head, but I can hear it)! 

Thank you again Wayne!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

wlbaye wrote:

I am currently in the doghouse with Old Doll and I will be on probation for a while smile

A couple of years ago I missread a post and accused Helena of being older than she was, I got out of the doghouse by writing her a song - http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1956 - although she is really a very forgiving and generous lady so if your crime is not too onerous I am sure you will be able to make amends.

Roger

Hey Roger,

I hope you are doing well, I am still working on "Weep Not For Me"  I hope to get it done before years end.

Concerning   "Young Lady"  you are far better with words and a very talented writer, I made the mistake of not only calling her old but I called her an "Old Fart ". I don't think I can match your gesture to recieve foregiveness. I'll try and think of something though.

Later, Wayne P

Hahahaahah, what a blast from the past.

What are you like ?

Roger Guppy i thought you'd passed into the next world. What about ya ? your still alive ? i guess stirring,  em trouble!. Poor wilbaye, doesnt know me as the rest do here. I must have scared the poor guy.
Sorry wilbaye, ya can leave the bold corner now sir.

Old Fart is heading for the shower.

Goodnight all from a rainy Emerald.

Hi Helena,

I am still around, although I was burgled a few weeks ago and lost (amongt most of my valuables) my PC with all my songs and music but luckily I was able to recover some of the songs that I had sent to others including "Sorry Old Doll" so I put it back on FoC for Wayne.

Wayne,

I am looking forward to hearing the completed "Weep Not For Me", I like very much what you have done with it so far. More importantly it looks like you are forgiven by our mutual young friend.

Roger

Hello Roger,

Yes , our young friend is a sweetheart smile

I am working on "Weep Not for Me"  on the chord progression with some flatpicking along with it. I am going to go with all minor chords on the verses and I think all majors on the chorus but I am still toying with it. Sometimes I just aint happy till I'm happy with it. I will definately let you know when I get it recorded. Great Song  Roger ! I think it's gonna be a good one when I get it together.

Thanks Wayne P

Maybe next , with her approval of course  I could play around with some of her lyrics !

Later, Wayne P

Whoohoo ! Is that this young one's words /lyrics ya mean Wilbaye ? [ big grins ]

Be my guest sir.

Happy days.

Old Doll.