Topic: Townes Van Zandt

In a recent chat with Topdown , we were talking about singer songwriter Townes Van Zandt and Tops said he wasn't familiar with his music. As of late and too bad we are talking of the late Townes Van Zandt, who led a very tough and self destuctive life. Anyway he is starting to get recognized as one of the best songwriters of our time. Here's a sight that has lyrics and chords to alot of his songs.
http://ippc2.orst.edu/coopl/tvztabs.html

Later, Wayne P

Re: Townes Van Zandt

I too was recently made aware of his work. He is right up there with John Prine IMO

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

If you like Townes, you should also check out Guy Clark.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

Yes some of the outlaws that are lesser known than Willie and Waylon.

Guy Clark
Townes Van Zandt
Blaze Foley
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Jerry Jeff Walker

A quote from Ray Wylie Hubbard that he said come from Woody Guthrie

" A Folk Singer's Job is to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable."

Later, Wayne P

My favorites Turn styled, Junk piled. I dare say he's almost better then John Prine..... Almost.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Nancy Griffeth
Steve Earle
Lyle Lovett

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Townes was the man. I noticed wlbaye's list was all Texas boys. Like Townes. There is something about Texas songwriters that is uniquely outlawish. Although Jerry Jeff was actually born and raised in Oneonta New York, he is still a fave down in the lone star state.

And I second his whole list.
Guy Clark is considered the founding father of Texas singer/songwriters.

Ray Wylie Hubbard has a lake outside Dallas named after him.
Blaze Foley , was genius walking that thin line of insanity. Tragically shot to death while coming to the aid of a friend.

Slaid Cleaves is another Yankee turned Tex/Louisana boy that is doing some great work today.

More native Texans
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Joe Ely
Robert Earl Keen
James McMurtry
Dave Carter , a lot of duets with a golden voiced Tracy Grammer.  Sadly Dave is no longer with us either.

Anything with Gurf Morlix either producing or playing on will always be great.

Another yankee, Chris Smithers !!!! "Live As I'll Ever Be" is an extraordinary showcase. Doesn't have a bad album out.

Jeffrey Foucoult, a midwestwerner I belive, is also doing great work. "Ghost Repeater" is a classic.

Chris Knight has a couple of well received albums too.

But yeah, Townes was probably the best of 'em all.

Townes was one of the great ones.  He's also the namesake for Justin Townes Earle, Steve Earle's son. 

That kid is also destined to be a great one.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

9 (edited by KAP54 2009-10-27 21:06:51)

Lena (Old Doll) turned me on to Nancy Griffith a ways back with this cover song called Tecumseh Valley written by Townes. A beautiful song done extraordinaire by Nancy.
I love the harmony and emotion in this piece.

Enjoy

Thanks Lena big_smile:

Kenny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USafrOU3 … re=related

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

10 (edited by wlbaye 2009-10-28 12:59:51)

Heya Kenny,

I had forgotten this song till you reminded me of it a while back. I have some friends that have a cover version of it and it was played on our local radio station saturday. I am trying to get  copy of it. I will post it when I get it. I am working on a version now also.

" And her ways were free and it seemed to me, the sunshine walked beside her."

I think one of the coolest lines ever written smile

Later, Wayne P