Topic: IS THERE A "CONNECTION or RELATION" GUITAR versus FINGERS?

A lot of people write here or in other threads about sore fingers.
SO:
- Is there a difference in BRAND = a guitar problem
- Is it a string problem

Is it possible that "a guitar" causes this pain, like a non adjusted neck?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: IS THERE A "CONNECTION or RELATION" GUITAR versus FINGERS?

I started out playing 3 years ago.  I play and amplified acoustic.  There were two tips given to me that helped me get my "guitar fingers" and reduce the sting.   
Tip #1.  Switch to "Silk Steel" strings.  They are about "12" in gauge size and have a different wind, that is easier on the finger tips.  They produce a "warmer" sound than straight nickel- steels.   I now play a Martins 11.5 gauge  to get  a slightly "steel" sound with my guitar, and they are easier on my fingers.
Tip#2.  When you are done practicing.  pour some "rubbing alcohol" in a bowl and rest your fingers in it for 1-2 minutes.  The alcohol, will help reduce the sting, and helps to toughen the tips to form the  calloused area you need.  Even now after a particularly long set, and I have my finger tips conditioned,  I do this. It helps a lot.

divotmaker in VA.  I play worship music in church and mixed folk.

I use Elixer strings. Us humans are very tactile creatures, so we can detect very small diferences in surfaces with our fingers,The Elixer strings are coated so they are smoother, so they dont hurt as much during and after a long session I've found smile

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Hi phil,I think it is mainly a friction thing,and I do not believe our wrists were made too take substained bending without some pain.        dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It is possible a "neck" adjustment could help along with a switch of strings and "tip" baths to toughen the skin.  The space between the neck and the strings is the "action" of a guitar.  Larger space (due to misadjusted neck or a poorly made instrument) leads to harder pressure to get  the strings to the neck, thus more "sting".   Check at the base of your instruments neck to see if there is a "hex" screw adjusting head.  Take it to a shop  and have them check it.  I like the "Elixer" strings idea also along with the "silk steel" types.   And in the end it after you have tried all the "fixes" it may be you have an instrument with a neck that just doesn't fit your hand, which leads to more "twist" in the wrist, and pressure than necessary.

These are the suggestions given to me when I started.

I don't understand, by your post, whether your porblem is finger tip pain or "squeezing" strength.

For fingertips, two things:  One, light guage strings will help.  Smooth wound strings also will help, but they don't sound as good.  And finally...just stick it out.  Before too long you will develop callouses on your finger tips and the problem will be solved.

If Squeezing strength is your problem, first examine your keyboard.  are the strings close to the keyboard all the way up the keyboard.  If not-take it to a repair facility to get the keyboard adjusted.  If it's just a question of weakness in your grip, just hang in there.  Like iother muscles...the more you exercise them, the stronger they get.

Great fellow chordians. But UncleLeon, don't blame me but I am not familiar with SQUEEZING STRENGHT. Even playing 30 years, I learn every day.
One thing 's for sure, when you start having sore fingers STOP PLAYING!! It's when you are burned by the sun, next day people don't go back on the beach. THIS IS ONLY A TIP = LISTEN TO YOUR BODY LANGUAGE.
MOST IMPORTANT ARE:
- Strings
- PROBABLY a guitar. (= depends on construction, neck versus body)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]