1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2009-07-21 10:56:40)

Topic: As seen on TV...pt.1

Why is "the prom so important" + WHAT S IN FACT A DATE?

Here in Europe we don't have that kind of culture.
We have: boy meet girl, or girl meet boy and we would probably use the phrase "CONQUERED"and the PROM HISTORY is here "unseen" and why is this so important:
- a band (most are from school).
- a boy or girl asking another "WILL or CAN YOU BE MY DATE"and this is as hell if you hear NO.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: As seen on TV...pt.1

Lieven boys and girls have been getting together all over this planet since the Jurassic period for a date, Europe is no different,prom is a high school graduation party I'm sure they celebrate in similar fashion all over the world they just have another name for it,a girl rejecting a boys offer of a date is not indigenous to America one of the many traumas teenagers endure after puberty smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Spot on, Russ. I'm sure high schools all over the world have "leaver's parties" or "graduation parties", they just don't call them proms. Although in the UK now we are starting to see more and more "proms" appearing as we become more and more in-tune with American culture. We do get called the 51st state after all. In my day it was some kind of disco/dance at the end of the year although in my leaving year I seem to remember just getting to the end of the exams and then just never going back. Maybe I just never got invited sad

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

hi lieven,

when i was at school it was the christmas party or the 5th form leaving dance...

i never heard the term "prom" in this context until the film "carrie" came out!

there's always been the 1st and last night of the proms, this is a classical music fest [gig] at the albert hall in london, last night usually plays out with "land of hope and glory" in which the whole audience sings along...it's very rousing and it's usually televised.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

High School proms are a symbol of American culture ... the same as 1950 style diners serving Hamburgers and Malts and Drive-in's (which I wish they still had ... nothing beat laying on the hood of your car and eating a burger in aluminum foil with that crappy speaker turned up to 10)

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Great answers.
It is "unthinkable" that other countries have nothing to celebrate.
Here in Belgium it is about the "last 100 days"
But here it is more in bars, cafés and discotheques were "boy meets girl or girl meets boy.
It seems very important the "heat" to be THE PROM QUEEN, who usually has a relation with mr. popular (often the quarterback.)
THE REASON WHY THE TITLE IS: AS SEEN ON TV

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]