Topic: Stuck In The Mud

Help !

I've been playing for about two years now and can play open chords quite well using loads of songs from the website. I can fingerpick a couple of easy songs like "here comes the sun" and "house of the rising sun" but I don't feel like I'm progressing any further... just playing the same stuff over and over.

Any suggestions what's best to learn next as I seem to be loosing my way a little ? Any other easy tabs spring to mind ?

Thanks guys !

Re: Stuck In The Mud

I would learn all the songs that you love to listen to. Play them backwards, forwards, side to side, etc. Find the key their in and try to come up with your own little riff to accompany it. Learn all the scales you can. Hope that helps a little
Selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I don't know if you've done this but it helped me when I was in a situation like yours: I started just figuring out the songs by ear, first with open chords on Syd Barrett, and now I'm onto power chords with stuff like Nirvana. You end up "getting to know your guitar" better. It opens up new doors.

Also start learning barre chords

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

I found that Wagon Wheel covered by Old Crow Medicine Show is infectious and yet so simple with G, D, Em, C, G, D, C  progression all the way thru (capo on 2nd fret).  THose are all in your reach so maybe get you jump started.  But first watch this in case you need inspired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vJUadjdmo

5 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-07-11 03:27:28)

I think playing with others would be the best thing for you at this point. It's amazing how much you pick up by playing along with other guitarist. You can find them at music stores, Craigs List, Church.... I've found that most guitarist will jump at the chance to play with others no matter what the skill level is. It's really amazing and beautiful how music can bring all likes together smile   
  Other than that I'd say work on scales, barre chords, walking transitions, etc...  Some may seem tedious but they are well worth it, stay with them and one day it'll click and a whole new world will open up for you. Set yourself a goal song, one that you've been wanting to play but have so far viewed as "out of reach". Go ahead and tackle it! You'll often be surprised at how simple the intimidating things turn out to be with a little practice!
  Last but not least stick around the forums smile Lot's of great people with lots of experience here that are more than willing to help you on this journey! Welcome to chordie!!  Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

To expand a little on what Guitarpix said and emphasize it a little, this is what I learned in tennis.  On the last day of my first tennis class, our instructor gave us this bit of advice.  He said, "Now you know a little something.  You know it because I shared it with you and helped you.  Now you know all the basics of the game.  There are intermediate and advanced techniques, but most tournament players rely on the basics shot after shot.  The only difference between them and you is practice.  To improve your game you need to do two things.  First, play with people who are better than you are and pay attention to what they do.  Second, play with people who are not as good as you are and coach them to improve."  I may have paraphrased a bit. 

So I would suggest a similar approach to your learning to improve on guitar.  Though with guitar I really don't like to say "better" or "not as good" so much as "from whom you can learn" and "who you can teach".  Even the best musicians in the world can learn by playing with others. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

brianpoulter wrote:

Help !

I've been playing for about two years now and can play open chords quite well using loads of songs from the website. I can fingerpick a couple of easy songs like "here comes the sun" and "house of the rising sun" but I don't feel like I'm progressing any further... just playing the same stuff over and over.

Any suggestions what's best to learn next as I seem to be loosing my way a little ? Any other easy tabs spring to mind ?

Thanks guys !

Another way forward is to try compose some of your own songs. It all depends if you want to continue to covering songs which is fine.
It's just another option open to you and can be rewarding...
oh and don't forget to boring stuff like barres and scales etc smile
ark

Thanks everyone... ...a bit of encouragement goes a long way ! Meant to ask, does anyone know of any good books containing easy song tabs ? I can find loads of chord books but not many in tab ?

Thanks again !

9 (edited by Zurf 2009-07-14 01:57:22)

There's tons of them.  Go to Amazon and search on "Easy Guitar" or some such.  You'll get more hits than you bargained for is my bet.

Most of them have the notes AND tab, but the tab is there.

Or just take a visit to your local shop.  That's the better way, because then you can put your hands on them and see whether you can follow.  You want one that you can follow but just barely, or that is just a little bit out of reach on some songs but in reach on others. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

First off I would look at some songs you like, that are slightly more challenging for you. (If you don't enjoy the music your learning you're not going to keep up the practise). Maybe you need to learn some new techniques or types of chords to be able to play these songs. Barre chords are very useful.

I also think (as stated earlier in somone elses post) that playing with others is really beneficial. You can learn alot by playing with your friends, or even get new friends. It should also help neaten up your playing should you need it.

If the songs you have played are all chord based. Perhaps look into some songs where you need to learn riffs and scales? Obviously it all depends on the variety of music you like. Try some Red Hot Chilli Peppers, If thats your sort of thing?

Anywho, Best of luck!

DaĆ³

[url=http://www.newbieguitarlessons.com]www.newbieguitarlessons.com[/url]

Also, I've been using on-line lessons for songs I like recently.  Reading about techniques is one thing, but having the video that I can replay and replay and replay with me trying to get the particular lick each time is very helpful.  I'm at a place where the most usual open chords are down solid and I'm so-so with the F, F#, and Bm shaped barre chords (B remains evil, though I actually got one the other day) and I can strum OK and know a few fingerpick patterns, so now I really need to learn some good left hand technique to bring the chords and strums "alive".  That's what the videos are helping me to do.  After a while of this, I'm going to move to doing a lot of scales and arpeggios practice so that I can throw down some lead licks like Detman101. 

- Zurf

Hey brian here's some inspiration for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3gMgK7h-BA

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!