Topic: PRISON

Watching all kinds of programs, I wanted to know something.
- Didn't Johnny Cash perform once in a prison?
- Is this a "one time gig" or are there more artists who played in prison?
- Are convicts allowed to have a music instrument?
OR IS IT THAT BAD IN PRISON, (minimum versus maximum) security.
I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LIFE IN PRISON, IS IT THAT BAD AS SHOWN IN MOVIES? Like Prison Break.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: PRISON

Johnny Cash performed several times each at Folsom Prison and San Quentin Prison.  The albums from Folsom and San Quentin are classics.  There was a recently released  remastered version of the San Quentin album that includes some of the stage talk that's worth a listen.  It gets down to who Johnny Cash is. 

Merle Haggard (I think it was) first heard Johnny Cash when he was an inmate at one of those prisons.  He said that Johnny Cash came in and talked to them like he was one of them - mostly because he was just as crazy and just as bold.  So then when he talked about the Gospel the way their mommas tried to teach them it really hit home.  I think that's cool that the Lord could use a reformed druggie wildman to go into a prison and evangelize folks who then turn their lives around not because the guy saying it was a well-educated and well-doctrined preacher who spoke from his head and from his book but because he was a madman just as crazy as the rest of them and spoke from his heart.  Merle Haggard of course went on to become quite the outlaw country star himself.  He wrote what is possibly the BEST country line ever "I turned 21 in prison doing life without parole..." in Mama Tried.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well on an episode of the Partidge Family they play for prisoners...lol.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

Zurf wrote:

Johnny Cash performed several times each at Folsom Prison and San Quentin Prison.  The albums from Folsom and San Quentin are classics.  There was a recently released  remastered version of the San Quentin album that includes some of the stage talk that's worth a listen.  It gets down to who Johnny Cash is. 

Merle Haggard (I think it was) first heard Johnny Cash when he was an inmate at one of those prisons.  He said that Johnny Cash came in and talked to them like he was one of them - mostly because he was just as crazy and just as bold.  So then when he talked about the Gospel the way their mommas tried to teach them it really hit home.  I think that's cool that the Lord could use a reformed druggie wildman to go into a prison and evangelize folks who then turn their lives around not because the guy saying it was a well-educated and well-doctrined preacher who spoke from his head and from his book but because he was a madman just as crazy as the rest of them and spoke from his heart.  Merle Haggard of course went on to become quite the outlaw country star himself.  He wrote what is possibly the BEST country line ever "I turned 21 in prison doing life without parole..." in Mama Tried.

- Zurf

Okay brother, I owe you a pinch on the arm for bringing tears to my eyes today.
That was blessed...and a blessing to me.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I can't answer for all prisons but maybe I can help. We have 4 different prisons near us in NW Louisiana. Maximum,Medium,Minimum (Pea Farm) and the Work Release facilities.
I drive a van for the Sheriff Dept. I take low risk inmates to their jobs in the morning and go get them in the evening. These jobs give these people a little money in their pockets when they hit the streets. Even these inmates are not allowed the pleasure of having an instrument and these are not hardened criminals. You can imagine what a dangerous person could do to himself or someone else with a guitar string. Anything from the out side  seems to be considered contraband.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

6 (edited by dfoskey 2009-07-07 15:53:03)

I used to work at a youth detention center and they were allowed to play instruments in the church services and during freetime at the gym where the insuments were kept under lock. They all were checked before and after each use for missing or damaged parts. Some of those kids where very talented and i wanted to join in at times but it was against the rules. Music can be a large part of changing lives for those with idle hands. It gives them better things to do than get in trouble.

Depends on the state and prison. Here in New Mexico you cant. Its considered a privilege, not a right. I think it would be great if they let them play instruments

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

An instrument would at least allow you to keep your sanity, maybe.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

An instrument would at least allow you to keep your sanity, maybe.

yes it would, if they had that outlet I feel there would be alot less problems, though I understand the security risk behind it. Prisoners can make weapons out of anything

Reverend Horton Heat

I guess im a little old fashioned the saying "if you cant do the time dont do the crime"comes to mind I really dont have an answer to or if rehabilitation works most incarcerated inmates learn new skills and sometimes better ways to commit crime but there are some that "see the light" and amend there ways and theres a high percentage of death row candidates who seem to find Jesus,he was there all along but when your days are numbered I guess you would be looking a little harder.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I believe in what Russell says, cant do the crime etc.
I am old school thinking when it comes to prison. I believe in bread and water, concrete pillow, 1 hour of daylight a day and locked up the rest of the time.
Depending of course on the crime.

In the Uk you could go into a prison for not paying your taxes and come out knowing how to con folk, rob a bank, how to kneecap someone quickly. You go in for something so small and come out knowing so muc more crime.
Also you could go in clean and come out hooked on drugs.

this human rights thing has made prisons all over the world too lenient.
Even in Scotland the prisoners that have to slop out ( clean their own toilets ) are getting compensation.

crazy world.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

There is a difference indeed.
We (BELGIUM) DON'T HAVE THSE CATEGORIES.
I believe that once you have been in jail you must be very strong to get on with your life.
It isn't easy to judge people, and also: IS IT TRUE THAT EVEN A LITTLE CRIME STAYS IN THE RECORDS FOR GOOD? Or does it dissapear after 10 years? = once a "crook always a crook"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

There is a difference indeed.
We (BELGIUM) DON'T HAVE THSE CATEGORIES.
I believe that once you have been in jail you must be very strong to get on with your life.
It isn't easy to judge people, and also: IS IT TRUE THAT EVEN A LITTLE CRIME STAYS IN THE RECORDS FOR GOOD? Or does it dissapear after 10 years? = once a "crook always a crook"

here in the states if your a kid, the crime is suppose to be taken off when you turn 18. unless you commit a crime in Texas, that seems to stay with you forever. I dont believe that once your a crook your always a crook, though it is hard to change. It took me many a mess up to turn it around. It does seem that once your in the system your in for life, even if you turn it around. But like others say if you cant do the time, dont do the crime. Wish I had learned that when I was younger

Reverend Horton Heat

Billy Bragg here in the UK is spearheading a campaign to get prisoners access to music by asking for music shops/suppliers etc to donate instruments.  The idea behind this is that it may help the inmates to release some of what's inside them -tensions, anxieties, problems etc.  Could be a good thing or... a bleeding heart liberal scheme to make wrongdoers happy roll

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Hah...the prisons here in the US are so comfortable that some homeless people commit crimes so that they can have a bed, tv and guaranteed 3 meals a day.

It's insane...since when did prison become someplace people aspired to go to!??!?

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

Hah...the prisons here in the US are so comfortable that some homeless people commit crimes so that they can have a bed, tv and guaranteed 3 meals a day.

It's insane...since when did prison become someplace people aspired to go to!??!?

=p
Dm

I think you would find that not all prisons are so comfy.  Probably not many at all.  Yes, it might be better than freezing to death on the street, but they are overcrowded, violent, and incredibly loud as well.  If you ever want to feel more grateful for your freedom, involve yourself with some prison ministry.  Or any kind of outreach to prisoners. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Detman101 wrote:

=p
Dm

No offense, but have you ever been to prison? Its not a picnic. There's a difference between county and real prison. I have seen homeless people do that but in a real prison its just not possible. I think giving inmates something constructive to do is a great idea. Again I mean no offense.
Selso

Reverend Horton Heat

Doing something constructive in prison should be mandatory for every prisoner.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

If you watch a serie like "PRISON BREAK" or other "JAIL HOUSE (rock) MOVIES, there is such a typecasting
- The Afro-Americans
- The ARIAN brotherhood
- Other groups
50% of watching a movie, they are "stabbed" in the kitchen, raped by a "big bad guy", and other "guests" in control of everything.
Probably it is exaggeration, but Smoke? = "Fire"

In high school, I played drums in a dixieland band for a Christmas gig at Folsom prison. It was kinda scary.
The inmates liked us but they were allowed to come up on stage and talk to us.
This big scary guy wanted to play my drums and I was not about to say no. He sat down and put his foot on top of my bass drum and pounded 'til his hearts content. Nobody said anything to him including me. I just smiled and nodded until he got down.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

In high school, I played drums in a dixieland band for a Christmas gig at Folsom prison. It was kinda scary.
The inmates liked us but they were allowed to come up on stage and talk to us.
This big scary guy wanted to play my drums and I was not about to say no. He sat down and put his foot on top of my bass drum and pounded 'til his hearts content. Nobody said anything to him including me. I just smiled and nodded until he got down.

That must have been crazy!!! Was it the same area Jonny Cash played?

Reverend Horton Heat