Topic: NEWBIE question

First off, I'm extremely new to the guitar.  I've gone through and looked at some of the "easy" songs that I know on here and have a question.  I'm guessing that in the example here:
          G                                                     C
There're only two things in life that make it worth livin'

You'd strum the G chord when you get to the last syllable in  "There're" and would continue strumming that chord until you get to the "o" in worth?  Is it that simple?

Re: NEWBIE question

First off, Welcome to Chordie!
Now for the question at hand... In theory it should be that simple but often times the chords are not laid out that precisely. It's best to use it as just a general guideline.. Listen to or play along with the song for the exact changes. Remember to listen for the breaks in the song as well. It's those slight pauses that really make it come alive.-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

3 (edited by wlbaye 2009-07-03 20:13:57)

Hello and welcome to Chordie,

Most songs are in 4/4 timing and that means 4 beats per measure alot of country and folk songs have a 1,4,5 progression and your example probably is  a G C D progression which is a 1,4,5 meaning if you count up the scale from G the C is the fourth and D is the fifth. Ok  so alot of three chord songs have 1 measure of the G chord and switch to the C chord for 1 measure then the D chord may have 2 measures and back to the G chord. It is a good habit to count out loud or to yourself to get keep the beat and get used to counting in 4's.
     When helping some folks new to guitar I count out the beats like the melody goes so they get the feel of the 4/4 timing thing.
Oops I  accidently deleted the vid I wanted to post.

Later, Wayne P

Gotcha, and thanks for the welcome!  So if it's a song I know well, I follow the chord changes and other than that just strum the rhythm of the song?

Native Texan in the song you are asking about "luckenbach Texas the first part of the song has no meter its up to the artist the meter starts with the chorus "im going to Lukenbach  texas waylon willy and the boys" it starts on Lunkenback smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

NativeTexan wrote:

Gotcha, and thanks for the welcome!  So if it's a song I know well, I follow the chord changes and other than that just strum the rhythm of the song?

yep you got it!!
and welcome from me

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks upyerkilt.  My family comes from Aberdeenshire Scotland.  My grandmother was the first in her family born in the U.S.  Really hoping to go visit sometime.