Topic: Soundholes Unsound?

OK so I was at an open mic night last year and I noticed that the best sounding guitars were always Ovation models, no central soundhole. Down my local store there's even a rubber widget for blocking the soundhole of an electro-acoustic and eliminating feedback. Jazz guitars dropped the soundhole for two 'F' holes.

How come most other electro-acoustics keep with the single large soundhole? Is Ovation's approach routed in the past or just ultra-conservative for the feedback-phobic?

On the same line does an electro acoustic really need a deep body, given that the main sound comes from sensors?

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Soundholes Unsound?

I don't know, but the first thing that comes to mind is, how would you adjust a thrust rod with no hole?

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Deadstring, truss rods may be designed to be adjusted at the headstock end.  See any solidbody or archtop guitar for examples. 

Cytania, it's my understanding that the major component of the sound quality in an acoustic guitar is determined by the tonewood of the guitar's top.  I know in the case of the Taylors that I auditioned before I bought mine that the cheaper models with laminate tops don't hold any sort of a candle to the more expensive models with solid tops.  I think that the effect you are hearing has to do with the fact that the Ovations with smaller holes at the top of the upper bout (Adamas model?) are probably much more expensive, solid topped guitars than the more traditional ones with central soundholes.  You might check Ovation's website for specs.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Hi you all,

OK so I play one of those Ovation acoustic/electric guitars with like 13 different size holes punched in the top...  I like it well enough with one exception.  I bought the shallow bodied version, and it seems a bit quiet without the amp, but the tone is very good.
If I had the same decision to make again, I would likely go for a larger body just to get the additional volume.

Feedback does not seem to be a problem, but I think it has more to do with the electronics package than the location of the sound holes.  It will feedback if you are facing the speaker cabinet, even at fairly low volume (the top is still going to resonate and the pickup will feel it).

As to the truss rod adjustment, there is an access port on the back of the guitar that allows one to do that, and it also gets you to the preamp wiring and cord jack etc.  Very straightforward.

If this one died in a housefire...  I would buy another one as I have been quite pleased.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

dguyton wrote:

Deadstring, truss rods may be designed to be adjusted at the headstock end.  See any solidbody or archtop guitar for examples. 

Cytania, it's my understanding that the major component of the sound quality in an acoustic guitar is determined by the tonewood of the guitar's top.  I know in the case of the Taylors that I auditioned before I bought mine that the cheaper models with laminate tops don't hold any sort of a candle to the more expensive models with solid tops.  I think that the effect you are hearing has to do with the fact that the Ovations with smaller holes at the top of the upper bout (Adamas model?) are probably much more expensive, solid topped guitars than the more traditional ones with central soundholes.  You might check Ovation's website for specs.

I told you I didn't know! Heck, I didn't even spell truss right. Sorry.
Oh well, at least now we are getting replies to the question. Good day to all!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

One other observation concerning Ovation Guitars is that, at least the ones I sampled, are made of a composite material. As such, they will naturally have a different sound from a solid wood guitar.

nela

7 (edited by cytania 2009-05-27 07:58:58)

Been browsing around since I posted here. First thing I noticed on Ovation's site is that the majority of their current models have central soundholes, so clearly they no longer feel their copyright style is the one-true-way. I suspect what I was noticing last year was musicians who'd picked up high-spec Ovations secondhand like DG suggested. They were quite a high level brand in the 80s but now they cover such a range of price-points I'm not sure simply buying one guarrantees the same good sound.

Ovation's website gives away the game as regards body depth. The shallower the body the less bass response there is. Fine if you want a toppy bright sound but probably unsatisfying.

I think the real moral here is simply ticking the piezo box doesn't guarrantee a good plugged in to the PA sound. The way the electronics is executed is more important than any particular clever design.

When I'm feeling brave I think I'll get a Fishman/LRBaggs put in my Seagull. That's brave as in handing my baby over to a luthier and brave as in having the chops to play that open mic night...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

They were quite a high level brand in the 80s but now they cover such a range of price-points I'm not sure simply buying one guarrantees the same good sound.

Very good observation Cytania.

My Ovation is a model 1112 from 1981.  It has a central sound hole and a deep body.  My big problem is feedback on stage.  I have to be real careful about the position of stage monitors as the guitar is a very lively beast.  I sacrifice monitor volume because the guitar has such a great amplified sound.  I could put one of those rubber disks in the holes, but my pick up is a fishman and the controls are in the sound hole.  We all make compromises but we do eventually find what works for us.

Now available in 5G !