Topic: Beatles vs. Marley?!

Whos better?

Re: Beatles vs. Marley?!

Beatles for sure!

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-05-04 21:05:14)

Marley (IMO)   I've never been that big of a Beatles fan. They were just "The boyband" of their time... Some great music came from them, for sure, but I still think they are overrated..

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Beatles, of course.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hands down. Beatles.

one caper after another

Guitarpix wrote:

Marley (IMO)   I've never been that big of a Beatles fan. They were just "The boyband" of their time... Some great music came from them, for sure, but I still think they are overrated..

Pix, my buddy, my friend. Love ya man, but you couldn't be more wrong. Calling The Beatles "The boyband" of their time.... The Gods of music will strike you down. Are you seriously comparing the Fab Four to n sync, the new kids, and the backstreet boys? If so, you got some some learning to do.

The Beatles revolutionized music in such a way that music that we know it today would likely not exist without their influence. And that includes Bob Marley. The Beatles revolutionized so many recording techniques, pioneered sounds and recordings never before heard ... how can you compare them to the effing backstreet boys?

I can appreciate the fact that you may not care for their tunes, but man, give respect where respect is due. The British Invasion in the early 60's defined what we now call Rock N Roll. The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin, Clapton, the list goes on and on were and a minimum influenced by The Beatles and may not ever been known without them.

Here's an excerpt from a 1967 Times article:

Not so long ago, the pop scene was going nowhere. Rock 'n' roll had catapulted into the bestseller charts in the 1950s on the chugging riffs of Bill Haley and His Comets (Rock Around the Clock) and the rhythmic caterwauling of Elvis Presley. But even they were bleached-out copies of the vibrant, earthy rhythm-and-blues sung in the subculture of Negro music. Until the early 1960s, rock 'n' roll went through a doldrum of derivative mewing by white singers, with only occasional breakthroughs by such Negroes as Ray Charles and Fats Domino.

The Beatles, along with other British groups--the Rolling Stones, the Animals--revitalized rock by closely imitating (and frankly crediting) such Negro originators of the style as Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley. Soon the Negro "soul sound" surged into the white mass market. The old-line blues merchants have enjoyed a revival, and a younger, slicker breed of rhythm-and-blues singers--notably Lou Rawls, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and the Supremes--have taken up commanding positions on the sales charts. "Until the Beatles exposed the origins, the white kids didn't know anything about the music," says Veteran Blues Shouter Waters, 52. "Now they've learned it was in their backyard all the time."

As the Beatles moved on, absorbing and extending Bob Dylan's folk-rock hybrid and sowing innovations of their own, they were like musical Johnny Appleseeds; wherever they went, they left flourishing fields for other groups to cultivate. "They were saying, 'If you want to get better, here's the route,'" says Art Garfunkel, 25, half of the folkrock duo, Simon and Garfunkel. Nowadays, according to Independent Record Producer Charlie Greene, 28, "no matter how hard anybody tries, no matter how good they are, almost everything they do is a cop on the Beatles." Yet the Beatles' example is not limiting but liberating, as other rock musicians have attested with generous praise. Says hefty Cass Elliott of The Mama's and The Papa's: "They're untouchable."

Today, the rock scene has shifted from England back to the U.S., and particularly to the West Coast (some San Franciscans are calling their city the Liverpool of the U.S.). There, as elsewhere in the States, rock is currently in the-midst of a huge syncretic surge toward a new idiom--and the Beatles' wildly eclectic spirit hovers over it all. As the Lovin' Spoonful's songwriter, John Sebastian, says: "Here we are in the middle of the mulch."

http://www.time.com/time/time100/artist … lated.html

A hundred years from now, Lennon will be known as a great composer in the likes of Tchaikovsky, Bach and Beethoven. Musical Genius. I love Marley, but truly not anywhere near the ballpark of the Beatles.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

smile Perhaps "boyband" was a bit much wink I didn't mean for them to be compared with Nsync and such smile I agree that they were on the raising wave and really did do tremendous things for music. But I don't feel like we would be lost without them. I think it was more of a "time due" kind of circumstance that they just happened to catch. If not them it would have been someone else... But that's just my opinion wink  I don't think the credit is really all theirs. There were alot of people behind the scenes that made it come together and it could have been any band of the time... IMO
  I've never really felt that Dylan was as great of a musician as he's been credited. Granted he was an outstanding songwriter but the rest ....ahhhh    No biggy though... We all like different things smile -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Pix, I think it’s a tough comparison. I like both for different reasons but I truly wish I had been exposed to more Bob Marley growing up. Radio stations play what’s popular and up in western NC you had top 40 pop, R&B, country and that's about it other than public radio which was never played at my house growing up. You know I never heard a Bob Marley tune turned into bluegrass but that would be a hoot to hear, don't you think?

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

raecat wrote:

Whos better?

Who cares, I love 'em both!

Give everything but up.

jets60 wrote:

Pix, I think it’s a tough comparison. I like both for different reasons but I truly wish I had been exposed to more Bob Marley growing up. Radio stations play what’s popular and up in western NC you had top 40 pop, R&B, country and that's about it other than public radio which was never played at my house growing up. You know I never heard a Bob Marley tune turned into bluegrass but that would be a hoot to hear, don't you think?

That would indeed be interesting! I'm sure it could be done... You ever heard The Gourds cover of Snoop Dogs song "Gin & Juice" I'd have never thought Rap could sound that good bluegrass smile -Pix

Ok, I may get blasted for this, but here goes. Remember the Neil Young song where he sings "rock and roll will never die" well it did. I think it's time has passed, it still lives in my heart as well as many others hearts I'm sure, but no one makes rock and roll anymore, the Beatles, Zepplin, the Stones, there are no bands like that anymore, it's all morphed into something else. Rock and roll came alive early, in the 50's got much better in the 60's peaked in the 70's and been dying a slow death ever since, I miss real rock and roll, what kids call rock and roll now makes me cringe inside. Hardly no one writes their own music plays their instrument and sings their own material anymore, the talent is vanishing IMO...I'm sure there are exceptions to this, and people when undoubtly mention serveral I'm sure, but it's not rock and roll to me...ok let the bashing begin

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Psst.. Cam... your Geezer is showing.

big_smile big_smile big_smile

I agree in many ways

Topdown, I appreciate you taking it easy on me, and yes, I guess my geezer is showing just a bit, my wife and I got a big laugh out of that. I really expected to take a beating on my opinion, and most likely still will, but when I think of Clapton, The stones, Led Zepplin, Joe Cocker, Skynard, Neil Young, I mean who makes music like that anymore, so again, I guess your right, my geezer may be showing, maybe you and I could start a band, we could call ourselves the "Dark Dress Socked White Sneaker Geezers" what do you think? oh..that would have to be orthopedic sneakers..ok?

Cam

cameronkl7 wrote:

maybe you and I could start a band, we could call ourselves the "Dark Dress Socked White Sneaker Geezers" what do you think? oh..that would have to be orthopedic sneakers..ok?

Cam

I love it - first practice this Saturday?

Jeff

Hey Cam, you hit the nail on the head, I agree with you , imho there will never be another period in history that will be musically as productive as the sixties, and i'm talking about bands in the UK and the US, apart from the British Invasion goups and artists like Al Kooper, Electric Flag,Paul Butterfield, Jefferson Airplane were incomparable.
Long live THE GEEZERS.
I have 3 weeks to go to 62 so I guess I qualify as either a wrinkled rocker or a geezer [or proudly BOTH].
As for Bob or The Beatles - no contest - yeah yeah yeah

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Thanks Buvvy,

It's nice to know you agree with me, the list of bands and singers from that era are to long to list "Hey Topdown" Did you read this"?

BEATLES ALL THE WAY.
the beatles are the best.

Smoke On The Water and Fire In The Water

ok personally im (cringes at the oncoming mob) not a big fan of either. granted if i here em on the radio ill listen and sometimes i really like it. music has always been a very big part of my life and my dad got me hooked on the beatles pretty quick BUT i also got sick of alot of their stuff after a while now again i belive in what they were doing and what their music was about but from there iv gone from beatles to marilyn manson ( 13 and im just starting to get into him) now i like alot of stuff thats not on my ipod i like the stones and marley but i just dont listen to em alot. now im not a geezer but im gonna have to disagree with the guys who said never again cuz obvisioly there will never be another beatles BUT there are plenty of band that kick butt  such as RHCP (red hot chili peppers) green day and 100s of others

sorry in advance for shaking things up a little smile

I don't have a good quote so I'm quoting myself... ok I'm done

also i really like led zeplin

I don't have a good quote so I'm quoting myself... ok I'm done

i've never tried to compare groups/bands/artistes, why? because they all have their highs and lows, good songs/bad songs etc...

the beatles will always be my favourite band, but also will "yes" for different reasons. jethro tull, genesis, led zep, deep purple, status quo...ooops did i say that out loud? all bands from way back when...

but i must admit i like the sissor sisters, i dont like the chilly peppers...

i play a lot of 60's music in my live set and even 18 year olds enjoy it, and i do just one beatles and one bob marley...fair's fair

phill

ps can i be a geezer please?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

bob or the beatles, hmmm easy choice here

I wouldnt compare the two of them at all as they both are completely different types of music.

but if asked the question who the better song writer is then i would have to say lennon.
Not a personal choice but a choice made up of how many songs he wrote and sang and sold. The people of the world have to answer this in record sales.
So a voice for the world would say the beatles until bob marley ever outsell the beatles then they would have to come first before bob marley, like them or loathe them ye cannot go against such a majority. Well ye could but with no impact

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

22 (edited by Syd1994 2009-06-07 17:11:11)

Well, they are both great, and both have had impacts on music, people, and culture.
But they are completely different styles of music.

Personally, I love The Beatles.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

beatles duh!

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls