Topic: Strumming Pattern

Hi All
Hope you can help, I have been learning the guitar and have trouble with strumming.
I am practicing the chords to SHE by Elvis Costello but dont know the strumming pattern, can anyone help.
Regards
Mark

Re: Strumming Pattern

Welcome to Chordie Mark ... a good place to learn strumming patterns is via Justin Sandercoe at www.justinguitar.com ... a lot of people will echo the same advice

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Hi Mark, Justin is THE MAN!!!!!

Here's a wee trick I do to try to figure out strum patterns....

First of all.... put down your guitar..... yes.... put it down..... away.....step away from the guitar.

Now play the song on your cd player or mp3 player or whatever and listen to it. As you're listening concentrate on the beat of the song. Really get into the rhythm and now play a bit of air drums. Really get into it. Notice which hand is doing what, and on what beat. Now put the hand you DON'T strum with behind your back, or sit on it, just get it out of the way and concentrate on yout strumming hand. Listen to the song again, really getting into the rhythm. Now air drums but with only ONE hand on the side of your thigh or knee or something. The result should be some kind of up and down beat with your hand across your thigh or whatever. Transfer this to up-strums and down-strums and you should have a basic strum pattern. It may take a while to get into it and it may not be perfect but it helps me pick out a basic pattern.

Jeez, I hope you can follow that. Welcome aboard.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Cool, what a welcome...thanks for the tips awesome.

Regards
Mark

5 (edited by KajiMa 2009-05-21 02:32:29)

Hey Mark.

I know this song from when Charles Aznavour did it and I've heard the Elvis Costello version many times.

This song's backing needs to be slow and smooth so if strumming, a steady downward stroke letting it ring followed by a quicker up,down will allow the words and melody to smoothly undulate over the top.

BUT, how about this:

Put your right ring finger (A = annular) on the top E and leave it there, your middle finger (M = medio) on the second and leave it, index (I = indice) on the third string and your thumb (P = pulgar) on the root string of the first chord (If Em then it would be sixth string, E, if an A chord then the fifth string, A).

With your fingers still in place pluck P, I, M, A in that order. The thumb goes to the appropriate next bass string I, M, A, go to where they started and repeat with the same time between each pluck.

This is a finger picking arpeggio. It might take some practice, but once you get the hang of making it smooth, it will make a much more elegant accompanyment than slow strumming.

Other patterns could be P, A, M, I, (good on chords that are progressing down to consecutive lower chords with the first method for chords that are going up) or P, I, M, A, M, I as an up and down arpeggio.

It's not going to be immediate and will take some practice, but you will be making a huge leap towards other styles of finger picking and creating more variety with your accompaniments.

Hope this is useful/helpful.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

alvee33 wrote:

Hi Mark, Justin is THE MAN!!!!!

Here's a wee trick I do to try to figure out strum patterns....

First of all.... put down your guitar..... yes.... put it down..... away.....step away from the guitar.

Now play the song on your cd player or mp3 player or whatever and listen to it. As you're listening concentrate on the beat of the song. Really get into the rhythm and now play a bit of air drums. Really get into it. Notice which hand is doing what, and on what beat. Now put the hand you DON'T strum with behind your back, or sit on it, just get it out of the way and concentrate on yout strumming hand. Listen to the song again, really getting into the rhythm. Now air drums but with only ONE hand on the side of your thigh or knee or something. The result should be some kind of up and down beat with your hand across your thigh or whatever. Transfer this to up-strums and down-strums and you should have a basic strum pattern. It may take a while to get into it and it may not be perfect but it helps me pick out a basic pattern.

Jeez, I hope you can follow that. Welcome aboard.

Alvee that's good advice ... when you're just starting out trying to learn strum patterns, it's hard to get it down ... but once you do, everything else is easy smile

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

LPG,

Strum patterns are one of the hardest things to get your head round. I think it's all about getting the whole rhythm of the song down. It's so long ago now that I can't remember how i got to terms with this 1st time round but the above description is the best i can come up with. Works for me!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??