Topic: Enjoying John Prine

I've just been having a heck of a good time playing a lot of John Prine's songs. Man can he write a great song. My current favorite is Hello in There. It makes me think of what an inconsiderate jerk of a son I was when my dad was around. I was too busy living my life to come back home and spend hardly any time with my old man. Now that he's not around I don't have that option. Anyway, a song that can connect like that did its job and Mr. Prine is a master at it.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Enjoying John Prine

I'm with you on this one Jeff. I especially like JP's personal take on a certain gap in time undocumented in a certain book;

http://www.jpshrine.org/lyrics/songs/mymy.html

Give everything but up.

I second that (or third I guess)
I discovered his work a few years back as well. While he gets some recognition, not nearly as much as he should. He is one of the elite song writers of all time.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

John Prine is one of my favorites. I had no intrest in finger picking till I came across him. If I had to pick one song it would be Blue Umbrella or Sweet Revenge. I first saw him on Austin City Limits when Fair and Square first came out. So I havent been a fan for long but I'll be a fan for life. A buddy of mine just burned me a whole lot of J.P. I cant stop listening to The Missing Years

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Hey Jets60,

John Prine is one of my all time favorites, I haven't seen him in years, but back in the day, I saw him several times, I think I first saw him in Galax Virginia at an outdoor event called "Stompin 76" that was in 1976, thats why I can always remember it, he was fantastic live, by himself to begin with, then later I think it was David Bloomberg and Bonnie Raitt came out and played a while with him. "Hello in There is one of his all time greats, I love how he can make a song out of the most simple things, and has a way of describing things that we can all relate to, I would call him, and I hate to rate things", but I'd call hi8m at least my 3rd favorite songwriter of all time, only behind Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, then John Prine, and thouigh many may not know him, but I'd also though a guy by the name of Charlie Gearheart from Goose Creek Symphony in there.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Prine is a fav of mine also - simple music that says a ton.

Here's Chordie's own wlbaye doing a cover of Hello In There

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nean-20DPg

Great job Wayne - I hope ya don't mind me posting the link.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey Thanks Jeff,

As you can probably tell I'm still suffering from the nasty cold or swine flu or whatever.I wanted to try my new mic out so I went with it anyway.

I think the amazing thing about "Hello in There" is John was in his mid twenties when he wrote it. I was a senior in High School then and it was somethin special when his first album come out.There was a group of us Prino"s that new the words to all the Prine songs.

Hey Jets, if you like "Hello In There"  check out  "The Dutchman" by Steve Goodman.It was one of the few songs covered by Steve.It was written by Michael Smith.It really tells a story of an old man with Dimentia after world war 2.It is a great love story.
Steve Goodman and John Prine were best friends and John has some wonderful stories and things to say about Steve.

I saw John at the Redrock Amphitheatre last June and It was one of the best treats I've had!

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Hey Thanks Jeff,

As you can probably tell I'm still suffering from the nasty cold or swine flu or whatever.I wanted to try my new mic out so I went with it anyway.

I think the amazing thing about "Hello in There" is John was in his mid twenties when he wrote it. I was a senior in High School then and it was somethin special when his first album come out.There was a group of us Prino"s that new the words to all the Prine songs.

Hey Jets, if you like "Hello In There"  check out  "The Dutchman" by Steve Goodman.It was one of the few songs covered by Steve.It was written by Michael Smith.It really tells a story of an old man with Dimentia after world war 2.It is a great love story.
Steve Goodman and John Prine were best friends and John has some wonderful stories and things to say about Steve.

I saw John at the Redrock Amphitheatre last June and It was one of the best treats I've had!

Thanks Wayne. I'll check it out. I'm always looking for new music. I'm a big Shawn Mullins fan too and he has some get you thinking songs as well.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hey Jets60,

John Prine is one of my all time favorites, I haven't seen him in years, but back in the day, I saw him several times, I think I first saw him in Galax Virginia at an outdoor event called "Stompin 76" that was in 1976, thats why I can always remember it, he was fantastic live, by himself to begin with, then later I think it was David Bloomberg and Bonnie Raitt came out and played a while with him. "Hello in There is one of his all time greats, I love how he can make a song out of the most simple things, and has a way of describing things that we can all relate to, I would call him, and I hate to rate things", but I'd call hi8m at least my 3rd favorite songwriter of all time, only behind Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, then John Prine, and thouigh many may not know him, but I'd also though a guy by the name of Charlie Gearheart from Goose Creek Symphony in there.

Cam

Thanks Cam - I've been a big Jackson Browne fan since back in the day. I saw him in Germany while I was in the USAF back in 1983 if I remember correctly. Great show in a room about the size of a middle school gym. It was a great treat! I look up Charlie Gearheart too. My first exposure to John Prine was a few years  ago when my mom made me listen to In Spite of Ourselves and I've been a fan ever since.

J  E  T  S

im 5th 6th or 7th'ing that

I think i have said one or 2 hundred times I love john prine. And hello in there is one of my favourite songs too. It is so deep and meaningful and really does make you think about things.

If I were to choose a favourite track, hmmmmmm hard to do but a few in my top ten would be

other side of town, hobo song, hello in there, paradise, sam stone, my hometown,

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

11 (edited by wlbaye 2009-05-21 12:56:05)

Hello Everyone,

"Hello In There" is a great song and I have been playing it for a long time and probably won't change my picking pattern on it.

There is a good tutorial on youtube by jordanthecat and his version is closer to the original than mine.We both use the same chords just picked alittle different.THe nice thing about Prine songs they can be strummed,picked or whatever and still be good.

Here's a couple links from jordanthecat     www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6z0I5aBeXU&feature=channel_page

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1mlkLeITt8&feature=channel_page

This song is a little tough to get the timing down on and the picking but when you do it will,make you smile,maybe cry and hopefully make you feel wonderful.

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye thanks for the great Prine covers. They are nothing short of fantastic.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I am feeling kind of foolish,in my excitement to try my new mic out I used my epiphone guitar and had planned on using my martin,they sound so different and the martin sounds more Prine like on most of his stuff.

Later, Wayne P