Topic: Reading Chord

So I have a question, how do you how many time to stum when reading a song with chords for example

if a song looked like this

C                     G                               Em D
My minds made up and you cant change it

how do you know how many times to stumm because i know you dont just strumm it once
can anybody tell me

Re: Reading Chord

Really, you should have a knowledge of the song. Listen to it, sing the words and find the rhythm. That's if you want to play it like the artist. Otherwise you could just play around with it till you like it.

One of the biggest drawbacks of chords and tabs is there is no way to impart rhythm.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

chord charts are just blueprints,it really helps if you can see a video of the song being played on youtube or some other site and follow along till you have a general idea at least smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Jared ,
  I've always been an advocate of the " Suzuki Method " for learning any instrument , which simply put , means , hear it , listen to it , then play it ... In my opinion , it's the most important tool along with having the lyrics and chords at hand ... This used to be known as " playing by ear " ,
and is the way I learned to play when I was a kid ... There was no running to the store or internet to get sheet music ... After all these years , I still believe it's the best way ...
                  Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

i agree but its a "beggar"  when yer only remember how the chorus goes !!!.... then its out wiv the record collection or search through the mp3's

cheers! micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

You make it up.  If someone says "That's not the way it goes," then tell that person it's an arrangement.

I play "Forever and Ever Amen", but I don't have a recording of it, and I didn't remember exactly how it went from fifteen or so years ago when it was popular.  So I was playing it at a campfire one time when a very talented singer friend of mine asked, "Do you want to hear how Randy did it?"  I liked that.  He didn't say, "You did it wrong," or "That's not how it goes", or pass any kind of judgment.  He just offered to let me hear how the original singing artist performed it, which offer I gratefully took him up on. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf "making it up" is kind of like playing a bad note in a solo if you repeat the note people will think you intended to play it that way (some of them) lol

The answer to the original question, short of doing it exactly like the artist, is to strum until the next chord comes up.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Russell_Harding wrote:

Zurf "making it up" is kind of like playing a bad note in a solo if you repeat the note people will think you intended to play it that way (some of them) lol

One of the great things about playing bad notes on the guitar is that you're only ever one fret away from a good one.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Russell_Harding wrote:

When in doubt, play loud.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

true story when I was a kid we had the family cat and it was always jumping up on the mantle this was not unusual in itself but on the mantle were a lot of delicate pieces of porcelain and pictures with glass frames and it would always land on the only spot between and not knock anything over till one day,it sized the distance up and leaped with conviction and missed! and fell on the floor feet down and shrugged itself and looked around as if to say "I meant to do that" lol