1 (edited by jets60 2009-04-21 19:15:22)

Topic: The importance of your hands

Alright, I didn't know where to post this so the Chat Corner seemed a good location. I play what my good friend calls "Old Fat Man Soccer" which is really men who are over 30 years old reliving some of their youthful days...but a little slower. I have the dubious honor of being the backup goal keeper and this is mostly because no one else wants to do it. A few weeks ago I was in goal against an over 30 team who was only just over 30 and not in all cases as spring break from schools meant some sons of their over 30 fathers showed up. Our team, who is very over 30 with the majority of the team in the 40s or 50s, had 11 players show up which meant no rest breaks for anyone. I really didn't think much about it at the time other than it was going to be a tough game. It the end we lost 2-0 but I ended up keeping the game close with more saves than I could keep track of. One of the saves was a very hard shot across the face of the goal that I managed to get a touch on which made it clang off the frame of the goal. I paid the price as the ring finger on my right hand must have got hyper-extended as it was very sore and had started swelling after the game. Actually both hands after over 2 weeks are still feel very stiff and tender from the beating they took. Needless to say it has impacted my guitar playing since as I usually strum with my fingers not with a pick. My two favorite stress relieving activities are playing the guitar and playing soccer and I do enjoy playing in goal but if this keeps up I may have to have the team pick another person to keep. Anyone else out there have similar hobbies that put their hands at risk?

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: The importance of your hands

Hi Jets,

I used table saws, band saws, skill saws, and routers which can wreck havoc on your hands if
you not catious. Luckly after twenty or so years I still have all my digits. I really started to be
more careful when I started playing guitar, also handling lumber, splinters can do damage as well.

Badeye..          cool

one caper after another

Congrats to you jets60 ... I'm an avid soccer man myself (keeper) but being in the military and surrounded with young 20-somethings, I had to take up coaching so I feel your pain ... the reaction is quick in the mind but a half a step slow in the body tongue

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

jets,
next time yer in goal a bit of advice: dont try and save a fast ball by making yer hands and fingers as wide as you can thinking it will make a difference, punch the thing!
use you hands to pick it up when it is rolling softly,lol.

good on ye for playing though, I played last year in 5 a sides and felt like lying down and dying. 5 a side is more knackering than a full side. Ye dont get time to rest for a second.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks Brad, LPG and Ken. I prefer to play in the field although I need to get in better shape if I want to play back in the midfield again where I played when I was younger. I also use to coach too but work and commuting to and from the practices got in the way so I had to give it up a few years ago. For that one shot I was on instinct and that one touch was all I had time to get on the ball as it was coming pretty fast. I'll be using the gloves that only bend back so far this weekend so hopefully that will help some. Take care and wish me luck - Jeff/jets

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

I row and paddle.  Usually there's no impact, but when there is it's an accident and the impact is unpleasant.  Plus, my very over 30 hands are beginning to swell at the knuckles and 14 miles in the kayak is beginning to hurt for longer than it takes to stretch a little at the ramp and dip my hands in the cooler water to get the swelling down.   I went out in my canoe last Friday and rowed against current for a short distance - probably no more than 1/2 hour worth of rowing (though it was very aggressive) and I'm still aching.  Just last night (Tuesday), I felt able to start playing again.  You aren't alone.  I'm not giving up picking, and I'm not giving up paddling.  I may just have to start coming to grips with getting Aspercreme or Ben Gay on the strings. 

It's getting to campfire season again.  We talked of getting together in the back yard last year and couldn't make it work out.  Now Detman is also close (about the same distance north of me as you are south).  Let's try and pick a Saturday evening early in June to have a little strummery and co-encouragement where we can all get together and pick around my back yard campfire.  I am eager to hear how you do that bicycle song.  I keep trying to get it, but I must hear timing different from you and can't get it to work out in a pleasing manner.  I love the lyrics.  I'm an old cyclist myself.  Used to do 40 miles a day at training speed and up to 100 miles per day on more moderately paced tours.  I was skinny then.  Now I'm fat and don't ride.  There may be a connection if only I could find it...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I do alot of remodling around the house and I love to wrench on the car. Two things that tear your hands apart. Right now I'm doing drywall. I dont know if you guys(or gals:)) have ever used drywall screws, but they wreck havoc on your fingers. I love to cook as well and as you all may know knifes are never a good thing for a guitar player to be messing around with.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

I do alot of remodling around the house and I love to wrench on the car. Two things that tear your hands apart. Right now I'm doing drywall. I dont know if you guys(or gals:)) have ever used drywall screws, but they wreck havoc on your fingers. I love to cook as well and as you all may know knifes are never a good thing for a guitar player to be messing around with.

Yes. drywall screws will leave little shards of metal in your finger tips. I drywalled an apartment
building and my fingers were peppered with metal.

badeye     cool

one caper after another

I wear a leather glove on the screw hand.  It's a little Michael Jacksony, but it does cut down on the shrapnel intake. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Why do they make drywall screws so sharp?  tongue 

I remember doing framing in Pennsylvania in late November back in the 80's and had the misfortune of missing the nail and hitting my index finger instead ... I was glad it was in the 40's and my fingers were numb ... if not I would have sat in the corner, curled up in a ball, and balled my eyes out  neutral

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Why do they make drywall screws so sharp?  tongue 

I remember doing framing in Pennsylvania in late November back in the 80's and had the misfortune of missing the nail and hitting my index finger instead ... I was glad it was in the 40's and my fingers were numb ... if not I would have sat in the corner, curled up in a ball, and balled my eyes out  neutral

Yeah, there like a cheese grader going across your finger

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Zurf wrote:

I wear a leather glove on the screw hand.  It's a little Michael Jacksony, but it does cut down on the shrapnel intake. 

- Zurf

Do you start moon walking when you wear it?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Do you start moon walking when you wear it?

Just mooning.  The "big boy belt" with my tools on it has a detrimental effect on the effectiveness of my pants' waistband.

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

Just mooning.  The "big boy belt" with my tools on it has a detrimental effect on the effectiveness of my pants' waistband.

- Zurf

Now that's just plain old burst a gut, laugh out loud, funny. That's the last two posts I've read have had me guffawing, with the result of my wife wanting to know what I'm up to. Ach, she wouldny understand. cool

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I know the importance I have to go in for surgery on the 28Th my wrist is weak and hopefully the operation will cure whatever it is if not i'm going to be playing more slide or kazoo lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Good luck Russell.  Keep the mutant fire alive!

- Zurf

you bettcha! and thanks Zurf for the kind word smile

Zurf wrote:

Good luck Russell.  Keep the mutant fire alive!

- Zurf

"Growing old is not for sissies"

jets60, Congrats playing soccer. I used to run like that.             This weekend I stopped a line drive baseball with my shin.
With ice on it, the half-baseball sized knot went down by the next morning but the soreness is slow to go at my age.
Playing guitar six nights a week, I had a problem with my left index finger getting stiff and painful to bend. Try to play an open string C with that going on.
My guitar was heavy and a wider guitar strap cured the problem. The blood vessels in the top or your shoulder are pinched off with a narrow guitar strap and arthritis in the fingers is the result.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

19 (edited by NELA 2009-04-24 03:33:11)

Well, after 1 surgury on my left hand and 2 surguries on my right hand for "trigger finger" I find myself back with hand problems. I now have a mass of scar tissue in my left hand pressing on a nerve causing extreme pain. I have been taking physical therapy for the last 3 weeks for this condition. If the therapy does not help I may be facing surgury to remove some scar tissie. I also have a finger "locking up" due to the "trigger finger", again, on my right hand and maybe facing another surgury, on that hand. My hands are all right as long as I am using them but everything (tendons) tighten up as I sleep, or am inactive. I can't sleep well at night as my hands just hurt too damn bad. The 1st thing I do in the mornings is to get me a good cup of hot coffee and just hold it. Most mornings my hands are so stiff it's all I can do just to close them enough to hold the coffee cup. After a while things loosen up and I'll be ok. As long as I keep doing things with my hands I'm ok, only minor pain in my left hand (chord hand) but when I stop being active - here come the problems.

Nela

That stinks NELA.  I hope the surgery brings you some relief.

Tell me more about this trigger finger.  I have an odd thing happening with the middle finger of my left hand.  After an hour or so in my kayak, the middle finger won't let go of the paddle.  I have pry it off with my right hand.  It doesn't hurt, and it has come in handy (pun unintended) from time to time when the paddle has slipped, but it's fairly annoying.  Happens with the steering wheel sometimes too, if I'm on a long trip and don't move my hands around.  Is that similar to this "trigger finger" you mention?  As long as things are moving, it's fine, but when I hold something for a while, it's locked. 

- Zurf

I love working on motorcycles, cars and computers.
On all three of them you run the risk of damaging your hands. With some, permanently.
Thanks be to God, I have made it this far with all my fingers intact and no damage.
Needless to say, I have been working on cars, bikes and computers less and less the more that I play guitar.
My hands are just so so so valuable to my peace of mind now...

smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

tubatooter1940 wrote:

jets60, Congrats playing soccer. I used to run like that.             This weekend I stopped a line drive baseball with my shin.
With ice on it, the half-baseball sized knot went down by the next morning but the soreness is slow to go at my age.
Playing guitar six nights a week, I had a problem with my left index finger getting stiff and painful to bend. Try to play an open string C with that going on.
My guitar was heavy and a wider guitar strap cured the problem. The blood vessels in the top or your shoulder are pinched off with a narrow guitar strap and arthritis in the fingers is the result.

Had that same problem with my old Silverburst LP that I recently sold. That thing weighed a metric ton.
Fender for life from here on out!!!

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

23 (edited by NELA 2009-04-24 20:08:55)

Zurf, kinda sounds like "trigger finger". Anyone who is active and works with their hand runs the risk of damaging the tendons. Think of the tendons in your hand (or in other parts) as ropes. Think of your knuckles as pulleys. Over the years, while we abuse our hands trying to provide a better way of life for the fairer sex, we injure ourselves. The tendons have a "sheath" covering them. When we bruise of injure them a bulge or rupture will occur. When the bulge passes thru the knuckle you will feel a "snap" as it goes all the way through. Now that the bulge has passed thru the knuckle your finger is now "locked" in place. The longer it goes the more difficult it becomes to open your finger(s) and the more pain you will have. At this time I'm trying everything I can just to not have any more sugury on my hands. But, so far nothing has helped. I am taking a "hot wax" (heat treatment) 3 times a week on both hands along with stretching all fingers. Time will tell.

Nela

I haven't been shooting Longbow that long and last year it was playing havoc with my right hand fingers (I mostly fingerpick). I have a friend who works in leather who gave me a piece 3 - 4 times thicker than normal to make my own "Tab" (the bit of leather that goes between fingers and Bowstring).

I didn't stop shooting or playing and the new tab spread the load enough so the pain was gone in a week.

It boils down to - Can you find a way of practicing Archery or putting up dry wall without damaging your hands. If the answer is "No!" how serious are you about playing guitar/bass/mandolin/uke/banjo, etc ?

To all who have had or are due surgery best of luck and bright blessings to you.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

KajiMa, I bowhunt but instead of using a finger tab (hurts too much) I use a release that fastens around my wrist. This takes all the pressure from the fingers allowing for extended holding time in a hunting situation. The release has a trigger just like a rifle and make for extreme accuracy. I shoot a compound bow with the draw weight set at 62 pounds. The bow cam's allow for an 80% let off so at full draw I am only holding about 14 pounds. My bow is equiped with a peepsite placesd in the bowstring and I have 4 sight pins set for range from 20 yards out to 40 yards. With this set-up I can get 5 shot groups at any of the ranges listed within  a 2" bullseye. I know this is completely different than your sport but we both need to be accurate.

Nela