Topic: Ukulele strings

I have just bought a ukulele, although it was very cheap, could i better quality strings on it to make it sound a little better.
Also it keeps going out of tune is this usual until the strings have settled, i had to swap the strings about because i am left handed. smile

Re: Ukulele strings

try lightly pulling on the string to stretch them out... they'll go out of tune a bit before they are broken into- this will help the process.

Billiesgirl,

Like I said in the other reply, I bought mine last year.
It took ages ( or seemed like ages) before the strings settled.
Istarted doing what I do with my guitar strings, I over tighten them slightly over night and tune it the next day. It might just be my imagination but I tihnk the strings settle quicker this way.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Lefty here too!  I suggest trying "Aquila" baritone strings (material is called Nygut) ...a big difference in sound and they stay in tune!!!   cheers

as well as the Aquila strings, it might help to tighten the screws at the back of the machine heads or tuners. my first uke was a cheaper one than my second, but it stays in tune much better. so i think it's just luck as to whether they stay in tune. i am also trying all the other things people have suggested here - thanks everyone!

My 1st uke was dirt cheap and went out of tune loads as it didn't have geared machine heads. I invested a masive £30 on a better one with proper machine heads, problem solved.

anyone use the ko'alua gold strings? They came on my Pono uke and they seem really hard. Do they break in? I don't know much about strings, but I have played a few different ukes and there is definitely a different feel to different strings. I upgraded from a really cheap uke with nylon strings. It actually stayed in tune great and was easy on the fingers. My new koa Pono sounds sooo much better, but I don't know if I like the strings. I may be looking for a 'softer' feel. Maybe more slack key feel.

The Aquila strings are the closest thing to real cat gut strings.  I restrung my uke three times before I discovered them.  I'll never go back to regular nylon strings.

It is better to remain silent and look like a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Aquila strings are unanimously the best especially for Baritone Uke.

There was just an earthquake there! You know in Aquilla Italy.

I hate to sound selfish but can we still get Aquilla strings?

Luke

I never need more then 4 strings.

I changed my strings out to Aquila after doing some research. My uke's are both pretty cheap, beginner models. Boy, did the strings make a difference!!!