Re: THE MOST IMPORTANT SPORT IN THE USA

gitaardocphil,
You described a "huddle" before most every play in American football. This plus the hand signals are attempts to figure a way to fool the other team and gain some advantage.
Having big stars like Mariah Carey play halftime at a football game is an attempt to entice football haters to watch the game as well so sponsors can be charged obscene rates due to such a large audience.
My son and grandson are skateboarders. I am too old to skateboard but a "Fuzion scooter" with four wheels and a steering post works for me. That way I can go "board banging" in mall parking lots with them and maybe get thrown out when they do.
I never quite grew all the way up. big_smile

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I never quite grew all the way up. big_smile

I can relate, and damn proud to admit it. Blaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh....

Give everything but up.

jerome.oneil wrote:
normtheguitar wrote:

Tried to watch baseball once, but couldn't stand all the close-ups of players spitting. What's all that about? It's just not cricket, old boy!

That is correct.  It is not cricket.   Baseball has rules that make sense.  big_smile

Cricket was once described to me as seven straight days of drinking.   And while I can appreciate that, it doesn't make the game any more understandable.

I love baseball...but I hate the fact that so many of the players have a big plug of Red Man or Levi Garret in there cheek during the game, spittin their snoose all over the place. I started chewing tobacco cuz of baseball...still wish I never started. It's getting better than it used to be though.

Never understood cricket...I agree that the rules don't make sense. I always thought that hitting with a flat bat would take a lot of the sport out of it until I realized that you sometimes have to hit the ball off a bounce...that should be a Ball and you should take your base after four of them!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

2+ years ago I was diagnosed with beginning symptoms of mouth cancer. Long story short; I "dipped" Copenhagen for 20+ years ( almost a can a day), the diagnosis scared me to the point of hyperventaling in the dentists' chair. I quit that day, haven't touched it since. My dental x-rays are clear of mouth cancer but my chicklettes( teeth) are royally screwed. I've dished out over 10K to fix the damage I've inflicted upon myself and I'm lookin' at that much or more to fix the rest. Wished I'd never crammed that first dip into my jaw.

I can proudly say; I don't dip, I don't smoke, and I don't chew

Not preachin', just tellin' it like it is................
http://www.tobaccofreeflorida.com/

Give everything but up.

It's true, cricket is a weird sport, but I love it. I'm not knocking baseball at all, I think I would enjoy seeing it live, or a highlights package, if such a thing were available in the UK.

Southpaw, that is certainly a cautionary tale. I just have British teeth, naturally screwed up for nothing!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I have played just about every major US sport at one time or another.  Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey and Soccer.  Ok, Soccer is not a major US sport but, thats because people dig High Scores.  I'm not much of one to watch any of them.  Baseball is a summer game, meant to be enjoyed with a few brewski's, hot dogs or other grilled food of your choice.  Outside with friends and family.  The game and season is long and is more of a zen type thing to sit and watch.  Football is shorter in season, thank heavens for those players whose average career length is less than 10 years.  You go once a week, have a tailgate party, drink brewski's and depending upon where you live and if you have a domed stadium.....freeze your noogies off! 

Basketball is high scoring and with a lot less stop and go action.  And the one sport I can actually play with some skill, albeit fair to middlin'.

Hockey is quite puzzling to me in that, it's a Canadian National Sport, yet most of the NHL teams are in the US.  And it's almost idiotic to me that there are a lot of teams in the deep south.  Florida I can see, since many Canadians retire or vacation there in the Winter.  But, Phoenix, DALLAS, NASHVILLE, ?????????????  Unless the Boston Bruins are playing for the Cup, I usually root for whatever Canadian team is there. 

I don't mean to offend people thats just my tongue in cheek perspective!   For a real humorous spot, I wish I had pictures of me playing for my dorm team back in college, talk about pathetic.  LOL  I'm the only person who ever fell on his butt before a faceoff and nobody was near me!  <grin> 

As for Car racing, yeah it's big in many areas.  Just not something I care for.  Golf as Mark Twain put it was, "A good walk wasted".   Tennis, same as car racing.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

#1 Football   I'm not a fan.....Never played it. I'm a little fart so I never played it securing my future in life.

#2 Baseball   Love the game played lots as a kid and in the recreation leagues as an adult. I smoke but don't chew.

#3 Basketball   I'm not a fan...Never played it. I'm a little fart.

#4 Hockey   Big fan...never played it till a adult cause we couldn't afford skates for me. Then I had to learn to skate lol

Hockey is getting bigger in the states because of TV play and TV rights. We used to have other teams on Canadian soil but had to fold because of the market share. TV revenue is huge and will make or break a team. Probably 60 percent of the players are from the Canadian Junior leagues teams like my London Knights. Hey Ozzy Dennis Wideman was one of our star defencmen before being drafted.
The Knights are in it deep again. Another Memorial Cup? (Canadian Championship)
I would guess that NASCAR is in that mix somewhere...boring.
Tiger has helped out golf huge...look at the purses and TV play.
Cricket...maybe it is a good game....I haven't watched it cause it gets no TV time and seems to have a complicated scoring system.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I love hockey, but I can't watch it on TV.  It's simply too fast, and the television removes a lot of the ice, where the players are setting up to score.  It's like a super fast moving football game.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Tennis was HUGE in Belgium, we were spoiled having 2 amazing female tennis players, JUSTINE HENIN and KIM CLIJSTERS, they both stopped playing. But Kim will probably make a come back.
But isn't it a shame that you have the "WILLIAMS BROTHERS" Venus and Serena (or Sereno?)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Of Venus and Serena Williams, I predicted long ago that it was Serena that would have the staying power.  Venus Williams is a power player.  She stands at the baseline and blasts away like a man.  Serena has much more control and does a great job moving forward up to the net.  I thought that the reduced impact of her style of play and the fact that she relied on control and placement rather than power would give her a natural advantage over the long haul.  Venus has surprised me by staying in the top seeds for quite a long time now.  Going on close to ten years now I think.  Shows what I know. 

The press loves the Williams sisters.  They are great talents, there's no denying that.  However, I remember once when Venus Williams was playing Lindsey Davenport.  I was painting my kids play area of the family room and had the TV on.  I wasn't watching, but listening to the play by play while I painted.  By the play-by-play, I'd have thought that Venus Williams was cleaning Lindsey Davenport's clock.  When I finally took a break and looked up at the screen, Lindsey Davenport had won the first set 6-2 and was well ahead in the second set.  What a terrible job by the announcers.  I don't recall who they were. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm heading to Raleigh shortly for a few hours of tailgatin' then cheering on the 'Canes tonight. Look for me on the tube - I'll be the guy in Red yellin' my brains out (along with 18,000 others big_smile )
Puck drop 7:30. LETS GO 'CANES!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

I'm heading to Raleigh shortly for a few hours of tailgatin' then cheering on the 'Canes tonight. Look for me on the tube - I'll be the guy in Red yellin' my brains out (along with 18,000 others big_smile )
Puck drop 7:30. LETS GO 'CANES!!

Good luck and have some yell your head off fun.   Sounds like the parking lot is gonna be full of music and brewski's and BBQ.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg