Re: B Chord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

upyerkilt wrote:

Ye think B is an evil chord?, Ab is the most evilist lol

Ken

I have the same problem with E sharp. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

This'll make me sound like a nut but I love B7  x21202.  I play B as x2444x,  two fingers.  The root is still there.  Enough of everything else is still there too. If its a Bm I'll play the whole deal x24432 with 4 fingers but like bensonp already said, "it's just an A (or in this case Am) two frets up.  You make your own nut with your forefinger.  Don't try to hold all of the strings with your forefinger on the 2nd fret.  Just concentrate on the two strings that matter for that chord.  For you beginners out there, if you slide the B or Bm up a fret its a C or Cm,  two more frets its a D or Dm.  The same thing works with the E and Em chords.   If you can barre all of these up to the 12th fret,  then you know all the chords.  Except for Jazz... that's different!

Now available in 5G !

Whoa, all this talk of using your pinky?
I use my index and ring finger....
Am I missing something? We are talking about the A-Shaped barre-chord version of the "B-Chord" at the 2nd fret right?

Was I supposed to be using my pinky all this time...lol?

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

ye know I just picked up my guitar and tried this barring nonsense and using my pinky for the frets on the 4th.
Pure easy!!
I can do this easy and it does sound better. I guess I am/just been a lazy git.

It will take me a bit of practice though to barre straight away for this chord without thinking, but i will manage with that dreaded word PRACTICE

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Guys and girls, a few comments to reinforce on previous posts:

Clean sounding barre chords are difficult to impossible if the action on your guitar is set too high - a good set up by a good technician is really worth the money and can really push your playing on;

Not everybody's ring finger can flex enough at the top knuckle to stop the D, G and B strings at the 4th fret without dampening the top E - mine sure can't - so don't worry, play the A shape with fingers 3, 4 and 5 and barre with the index;

Many have said it - you just have to put in the practice time to get results. In the long run any short cuts or "easy" fingerings that cut the chords short will hamper your development as a guitarist and reduce the fun you can get out of what is surely the greatest of musical instruments.

Good advice here but I'm sure it would be easier if somebody invented some kinda a stretching machiene to lengthen them there chippolata fingers?

My grandfather is 85 and he still plays the yuke and banjo.  He's constantly spreading his fingers on his left, fret hand by ramming two fingers from his right hand between his fingers.   To look at his hands, the right fingers are all twisted and athritic but his left hand is still perfectly formed and well equiped to get into any position.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

This cord is quite easy if you dont play it barre i play with my first finger on the 1st string in the second fret then my 2nd,3rd,4th finger in the forth fret on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th string and i find it alot easier because i can never play barre cords either

Kellye wrote:

Man, this is the most frustrating chord I have tried to learn.  I just cant seem to get my fingers to to do Any Barre!  What the heck????  Any ideas for an easier B?

This shape is alot easier to play.

e---2---
b---4---
g---4---
d---4---
a---x---
e---x---

(Hope the above rendors properly)

I would only use this as a temporary measure. Because although difficult, the B chord is useful.

I hate it too by the way and I've been playing for a long time now.

Hope this helps.

Daomor

p.s. Also try playing the full shape at the 5th fret to get use to it (D major). It might be easier for some there. Then you can move it down as you get more confident.

[url=http://www.newbieguitarlessons.com]www.newbieguitarlessons.com[/url]

upyerkilt wrote:

Pure easy!!
I can do this easy and it does sound better. I guess I am/just been a lazy git.

A mutant is born!!  Long live the mutants!!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude