Topic: B Chord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, this is the most frustrating chord I have tried to learn.  I just cant seem to get my fingers to to do Any Barre!  What the heck????  Any ideas for an easier B?

Re: B Chord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I play both the B and Bb with two fingers and it sounds good enough if you just strum the bottom strings.  That is if you can do an A chord with one finger.  First finger bottom string and the third finger does the A chord two frets up.  I don't know if that is clear or not.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

ok, so first string on the second fret and then the A chord on the fourth fret?  Is that right?  I tried it, sounds pretty good to me, but I think anything would, just to get a B out...lol

I find it easier to play barre chords further up the neck with a capo, the capo brings the strings nearer to the frets making it easier to barre and the space between frets is closer so you don't have to stretch your fingers so much.  Practice like this and over time move the capo back out gradually, it's what I'm doing at the moment.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Use your thumb as a guide and fulcrum, and exert pressure on the strings using the muscles in your arm.  You might need to consciously move your elbow away from your body, and you'll have to exert some counter pressure on the top of the guitar using your right arm.

Once you figure out how it's done, you will be amazed at how easy it is.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

im with bensonp on this. Thats the way I cheat for the B chord.
Why did it have to be invented/discovered ? we all hate it, it has no place in good songs...ok it does but I wish it didnt lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I'm glad to hear that others have the same problems and solutions as I do.  Just goes to show you, you can cheat and still sound good.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Maybe I'm the odd ball, but I just don't get cheater chords... Most of them are just removing the root note of the chord... If you take the A string 2nd fret out of the B chord you lose the root B, may as well just skip the chord IMO... I mean, you still have to learn a new form for the cheater version, wouldn't that time and muscle memory be better applied by learning the actual barre chords? I don't know, It just seams strange to me to spend all that time learning an inproper chord form. I realize barreing is hard and takes lots of practice, but in order to really progress you have to face them sometime. Why not do it from the get go instead of wasting time learning ways around them?? Just my .02 and I realize most probably won't agree..-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

The B chord is evil.  It is for mutants only. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You are totally right GuitarPix, but, as Zurf says, B chords are evil.  I just haven't practiced barring enough.  I try every once in awhile, but can't seem to stick with it.

I recommend playing an F-shape bar at the 7th fret.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

There's some good advice here, but I'll add that a good set-up on your guitar makes all the difference in the world. I couldn't sound a decent barre chord until I got a decent guitar. For those who are struggling, I suggest a trip to your local set-up guy may solve all of your problems.

Oh - and roll your barre finger 45 degrees towards your thumb. The barre is formed more on the edge of the index finger than it is on the flat part. After a while calluses will form and a barre will come as natural as an Em.

Barres are a pain, but the reward is worth it - they really open up the fretboard to so many options. Don't give up! PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Alright guys.  I am seriously going to start practicing barre chords.  I pick up my guitar 4-5 times each day and I will practice barre chords for 5-10 minutes each time I pick it up.  Before I do anything else.  I am sure I will feel good once I have learned them.

Zurf wrote:

The B chord is evil.  It is for mutants only. 

- Zurf

YES!!!! RIGHT ON!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Keep practicing. Try not to "cheat" if you can help it. You will get it, and when you do you won't even remember how hard it was.

topdown wrote:

There's some good advice here, but I'll add that a good set-up on your guitar makes all the difference in the world. I couldn't sound a decent barre chord until I got a decent guitar. For those who are struggling, I suggest a trip to your local set-up guy may solve all of your problems.

Oh - and roll your barre finger 45 degrees towards your thumb. The barre is formed more on the edge of the index finger than it is on the flat part. After a while calluses will form and a barre will come as natural as an Em.

Barres are a pain, but the reward is worth it - they really open up the fretboard to so many options. Don't give up! PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Being a tad naive on these subjects Topdown I wander if you can clarify what you mean here. I have been thinking for a while that the gap between my strings and neck is too big. Is this the sort of thing you mean? I know I sound like a weak girls but I litterally don't have the strength to hold down the strings in Barre chords. This can't be right?

I do agree that the B Chord is evil... The person who invented it must have had three hands.

Tine
-x-

Any chord thats make yer stretch yer fingers over 4 frets is evil,with having a knackered pinkie and the next turning in makes it double hard for me

Cheers micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I knackered my pinky (if that means what I think it means) on my left hand a couple months ago.  It does hurt to put pressure on it.  Still, we do what we do because it's what we do. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

All I can say is keep at it.  I can actually play a B and B flat - but landing them smoothly in a song is whole other challenge. I am using all four fingers (index forming the bar) and the (middle, ring and picky forming the A shape).  I have seen many use the only the ring finger to "hinge" bar the A shape.  I can't get my ring finger to behave that way and when I do attempt it, I end up flipping the bird.....

Now if I can just get master the SMOOTH changes to and from these evil chords.

Peace,

P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

pjl6364 wrote:

I have seen many use the only the ring finger to "hinge" bar the A shape.  I can't get my ring finger to behave that way and when I do attempt it, I end up flipping the bird.....

This is how i form the B chord and it works good for me. I just drop my middle finger on top on my index to help apply pressure for the barre and to avoid flipping the bird. It's the same with Fm and Gm chords also (two fingers). I guess it helps to have long fingers for this.

***Moderator note. During editing you had deleted the "]" from the end of the quote 'switch on' signal and deleted the 'switch off' ("/quote" within "[]") completely. Without these being absolutely correct the quote box will not work correctly. I have corrected this for you so I hope it helps***

dfoskey wrote:

This is how i form the B chord and it works good for me. I just drop my middle finger on top on my index to help apply pressure for the barre and to avoid flipping the bird.

Clearly, you are a mutant.

You and Russell, and probably a few others around.  I am so stinking jealous (well, kind of, mostly I just stick in a B7 or a Bm).

- Zurf

Zurf i wouldn't consider myself a mutant. I still have a hard time with the dreaded F chord. I can't seem to barre it and make it clean.

I play it by barre on the second fret pinky on the G string and ringfinger on the D string and play it as a 2 chord

I agree with Pix and others, You shouldnt cheat.........But I will continue to even though I dont agree wit hit.
I have tried for years to barr a chord and I just cannot manage it without any buzzing or duff notes. It maybe because I have dumpy wee fingers. I am jealous of all you long skinny fingered guys that should have no excuse for barring.

All this over a B chord lol

I wonder what response this would have got if it were a subject on Ab. I have not even got a cheat for that one, I just dodge any song that has it or transpose it lol

Ye think B is an evil chord?, Ab is the most evilist lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Ken,

I have to disagree with you on this one about Ab. Ab is easily played with a barred F on the 4th fret and unlike B where you have to go up to the 7th using this shape. The barred F shape is not so bad but B played with the barre on the second fret really is a pig and I more often than not play a 4 string xx4442 B if I am unable to get to the 7th.

By the way I have stubby fingers too.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"