Topic: Begining

How hard are bar chords?  A common enough question but I do think that playing bar chords is made harder by how we start to learn to play from day one.  We know that when playing bar chords based on the E or Am shapes (for example) we have to change the fingers that we use to play the chords.  So not only do have to start using our 1st finger as the bar we have to learn how to play the chords all over again.

I am asked to give advice to people on learning to play and one thing I laways tell people is to learn the 2 seperate fingerings for those chords (and others) that will make up bar chordshapes.  I tell them that it will make progression to bar chords easier when they want to do it.  I wish someone had told me that 20 years ago!

Any comments?

Re: Begining

I think that's good advice.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Begining

I agree as well ... your first finger always wants to go to the position you learned ... it's a matter of training your middle/ring/pinkie to form the "E" and "Am" shape ... it was hard for me at first but over time, your fingers get the hang of it

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75