Topic: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL "BLEHEAA"

I  like so many people got suckered into buying the DVD of this remake of a great classic this stinker cost me $18 dollars at walmart when I saw the ads on tv it looked like it was worth the money,it started out fine but drifted into a melancholy quagmire of goop,Keanu Reeves played the role of Klaatu the alien sent to Earth to warn the population of imminent destruction because they were destroying the planet wreaking havoc on the ozone layer and spending hard earned money on Guitar Hero for there ungrateful offspring,The original robot "Gort" was far more interesting even tho you could tell he was wearing a rubber suit but the new Gort turns into a swarm of small insects that have the ability to blow away solid structures and eat there way into your skin till you dissolve into ashes mercifully he finally decides to leave the planet ending the reign of terror on both the cast and the viewers bleheaaaa lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL "BLEHEAA"

That would give one nightmares I tell ya !   no worms in it eh .

still funnun wit ya Russel..   Badeye  cool

one caper after another

The only nightmare is the $18 im out but there was a redeeming factor included with it was the Original 1951 release which starred Micheal Rennie,Patrica Neal,Hugh Marllowe(12 O'High) and Sam Jaffe. smile 

badeye wrote:

That would give one nightmares I tell ya !   no worms in it eh .

still funnun wit ya Russel..   Badeye  cool

I own two films with Keanu in them and would never own another and dont watch the ones I have...dude

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

I don't know Marcalan.  It seems like an ineffective alien who wanders about Earth is a good role for Keanu.  If the alien surfs, so much the better.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I love the orignal, never seen the new one. Dont think I will

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Hi Russ
I'm generally dissappointed with re-makes of Classic sci-fi films. This film sounds like more of the same.
War of the worlds
Invasion of the body snatchers
Time machine
Journey to the centre of the earth
The planet of the apes
and others I can't remember.
All fall short of the orginals even with inclusion of alot of special effects and so called top actors.
The naivety of the 50's and 60's era films are their charm and they don't generally remake well in these more cynical times.
There is talk of a re-make of "Forbidden Planet" so more of the same...
ark

If it has that keanu guy in it it's bound to be a flop. I'm sorry he's a Canadian  lol

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ark I totally agree with you on all of the movies on your list as I have seen the originals and the remakes the only exception on the list is War of the Worlds the English version filmed in Europe I have a copy and it is closer to HG. Wells's book then the 1955 version by George Pal featuring Gene Barry but all the rest are turkeys lol

arkady wrote:

Hi Russ
I'm generally dissappointed with re-makes of Classic sci-fi films. This film sounds like more of the same.
War of the worlds
Invasion of the body snatchers
Time machine
Journey to the centre of the earth
The planet of the apes
and others I can't remember.
All fall short of the orginals even with inclusion of alot of special effects and so called top actors.
The naivety of the 50's and 60's era films are their charm and they don't generally remake well in these more cynical times.
There is talk of a re-make of "Forbidden Planet" so more of the same...
ark

I dont like his later films but I did enjoy "Speed" and the 1st Matrix film the sequels fell a little short smile

KAP54 wrote:

If it has that keanu guy in it it's bound to be a flop. I'm sorry he's a Canadian  lol

Selso I would go see it or borrow it just to see the difference but if you do buy this you can get the original full screen 1951 release in glorious black and white along with it and its worth it for that smile

selso wrote:

I love the orignal, never seen the new one. Dont think I will

Good point Zurf..I stand corrected

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.