Topic: String Buzz

My beloved Fender accoustic has been giving me some string buzz lately, particularly with my B and high e strings when played on the second fret. Whilst re-stringing it this weekend I found that the first and second frets have indentations beneath these two strings causing them to buzz on the third fret. Rightly or wrongly I have alleviated the problem with some careful filing on the third fret, however I guess this is only a temporary reprieve as I am sure they will wear more as time goes on. I think the only answer will be a fret repacement but I have three questions:

Is there another way to rectify this problem?

Are there any pitfalls in replacing the frets myself or is it a job for a luthier?

Is it practical to just replace the two worn frets or should all be done at the same time?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: String Buzz

Hi Roger,
You're doing the right thing, just take it slow and easy. Filing your frets down with some fine grain sandpaper is perfectly OK. Just don't go too far with it. And as far as replacing all of the frets when a few are worn down, do not listen to a luthier who insists that all of the frets need to be replaced. This is a gimmick often used by the big time corporate music stores of the universe and it's a major scam. ( Sorry scammers!)

The guy that re-frets my guitars will replace the frets that are worn down and those only. If you get a flat tire on your car do you change all of the remaining tires? Nope. Same principle with guitar frets. They big boys will try to tell you that frets have to be ordered as a set to accomodate a specific guitar. Total fabrication of truth.

Guitar frets come in huge, rounded spools of metal and are cut to fit specific guitars. Look for someone who'll replace only your overly worn frets. I usually pay, approximately $15 per fret( if 5 frets or less need replacing) to the gentleman who repairs my worn down frets. Maybe $10 per fret if 10 or more are in need of replacing. I try to make to sure that the gentleman repairing my child of music gets at least $40 per hour( plus tip, 20% usually) for his time. And a good repair guy can do at least 5 frets in an hours time....

Peace and Guitars,
Toney

Give everything but up.

Re: String Buzz

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Hi Roger,
You're doing the right thing, just take it slow and easy. Filing your frets down with some fine grain sandpaper is perfectly OK. Just don't go too far with it. And as far as replacing all of the frets when a few are worn down, do not listen to a luthier who insists that all of the frets need to be replaced. This is a gimmick often used by the big time corporate music stores of the universe and it's a major scam. ( Sorry scammers!)

The guy that re-frets my guitars will replace the frets that are worn down and those only. If you get a flat tire on your car do you change all of the remaining tires? Nope. Same principle with guitar frets. They big boys will try to tell you that frets have to be ordered as a set to accomodate a specific guitar. Total fabrication of truth.

Guitar frets come in huge, rounded spools of metal and are cut to fit specific guitars. Look for someone who'll replace only your overly worn frets. I usually pay, approximately $15 per fret( if 5 frets or less need replacing) to the gentleman who repairs my worn down frets. Maybe $10 per fret if 10 or more are in need of replacing. I try to make to sure that the gentleman repairing my child of music gets at least $40 per hour( plus tip, 20% usually) for his time. And a good repair guy can do at least 5 frets in an hours time....

Peace and Guitars,
Toney

Hey Paw,

You also might want to mention to tape off your fret board with blue painters tape to keep the dust (metal from your fret and snad that comes off your paper). The blue tape does not leave any adheasive behind whrn you take it off.  Roger also keep in mind that your neck has a radius so you want to sand fron the north to south so you do not loose the radius of the fret.  If you had radius sanding blocks east to west sanding would be no problem.

Good luck bud.

Bootlegger.