Topic: St pats day

is coming  and all an excuse to gety rip roaringly drunk(even if its only on apple juice)
How about between then and now someone posting Irish songs we can sing ,so we can have our own wee st pats day

Re: St pats day

I have a songbook " irish and traditional" or Irish and the pogues"

but a few songs you could look up and learn for St Pat's day is:

Dirty old town
fields of athenry
whiskey in the jar
Kilkelly Ireland
irish rover
wild rover
a song for ireland
thousands are sailing
black velvet band
las vegas and the hills of donegal
molly mallone
pub with no beer
rare auld times

that should keep you busy,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i,m too lazy to look them up.
it takes me all my time tae pick the guitar up never mind tuning it and putting a capo on
   come to think off it i,m way too busy  not lazy   
     pub with no beer i,ll hae a look if imust
cheers

well just tried that malarkey looking up "pub with no beer" all i got here was pup and a whole list of p,,,,,,,,,,,s
crikey there is nae pub on this site lol
right... up yer kilt and no nay never to you and aw
can you kindly give the chords and the lyrics  to this worls famous song
who is it by bye the way

great story to the above song
The chords are G AM D
and even the dug on the verandah is not amused that the pubs dry

Here's a few links to sites with tons of Irish songs with chords. Although I'm not Irish, I'll be celebratin' I assure ya.

http://martindardis.com/index.html

http://www.ourwholeworld.com/irish_lyri … hords.html

This one's got the Pub With No Beer

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/irish … -songs.htm

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

jamiejah wrote:

well just tried that malarkey looking up "pub with no beer" all i got here was pup and a whole list of p,,,,,,,,,,,s
who is it by bye the way

I heard it from the dubliners. I think I use D and A for this and another chord or two. Not done it for ages.

I cannot give the lyrics on here for the song but I will email them if you would like them

Ken

cheers ken i managed to get them thanks
7 drunken nights with the added lyric by the dubliners is a belly laugh as well  slainte

Howdy,
I've been looking for a good version of a song done in the 70's by Fraser and Debolt: "Them Dancehall Girls". Can anyone help me out ??? These guys were a very special of melodies and I'd like to do this song in my repetior
Thanks,
KS/TVR

hi vegabondrambler

please read here   http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10687

it will tell you the best way to get a reply to a question and how not to ask in another non related topic.
Maybe "Them Dancehall Girls" is an irish song but it is a new question getting asked in an already active thread. I have never heard of it.

cheers
Ken

maybe vegabondrambler turned up at that pub wi nae beer  so was itching to sing anoeter song or something to get over the d,ts or something like that
  or maybe hes the geezer in the 7 drunken nights  and he7s tactically changing the subject,
like a wide swerve like a nakamura  slainte

lol

yeah but he did get a hat trick last week and still played good last night

Ken

jamiejah wrote:

who is it by bye the way

The song was made famous in the 1957 recording by the late Slim Dusty , but was  written in the original "Day Dawn Hotel" in Ingham in north Queensland (Australia) in 1943 by an Irish cane cutter Dan Sheahan after some American soldiers had drank the pub dry.

Dan Sheahan had gone to his favourite pub for a cold beer but the Publican told him that there was no beer left thanks to some  American soldiers going on a drinking binge there the night before. Dan Sheahan sat in the corner of the pub with a glass of wine and wrote "A Pub without Beer". The song was later transformed to "A Pub with No Beer" by composer Gordon Parsons, who had spotted the words of "A Pub without Beer" in "The North Queensland Register" newspaper, and later recorded by Slim Dusty.

There's a bit of trivia for you to dazzle the punters with this St Pats day!

blindman, welcome to choride and what a fantastic bit of history to a great folk song.

cheers

Ken

15 (edited by Headcase 2009-03-15 21:21:47)

Hi, jamiejah,

I know this is a bit late but I have not been reading the Forum this last couple of weeks?

We don't celabrate St Pat's Day up here in the North as they do in the South, but it is starting

to be; more than it ust'd be.  However if you would like a song from the North for St Pat's Day,

try (The County of Armagh).   That's apple country; like Cider man!

Luck and Health to all!!!

I have no doubt at all, at some stage  on "St Patricks Day" some old timer will sing this wee old song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkDaYpriHWA

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !