Topic: frustrated...strum site

is there anywhere on chordie or anyother site that shows the chords and strum patterns?

like the dduud stuff???

Re: frustrated...strum site

Might be worth a peak at :

http://www.guitar.gg/strumming.html

Not the cleanest of sites, but there is info on there. Any song's in particular?

www.justinguitar.com ... HIGHLY recommended

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Hi all,

I posted about this topic before. We need the strum patterns for each song. Lots have been saying to listen  to the song and feel the beat. I for one can't do that. It's hard enough trying to learn to play. The process would be 10 times slower if I had to figure out the strum pattern also. There are lots of songs I would like to play right now but can't because I don't know the strum pattern. Youtube has alot of lessons and I try to make sense of them.

A greta site is http://www.guitar.gg The way he teaches is the way I need to be taught. I did the free lesson thing and he is awesome.
www.justinguitar.com is awesome too.

FYI-----

Mad World - Tears for Fears - DDUUD
Stand By Me - Ben E. King - DDUUDU
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam - D Scratch U U Scratch U
Brown eyed Girl - Van Morrisson - Same
Have You Ever Seen the Rain - CCR - DU Scratch U
Angels  - Robbie Williams - DDUDU

Its way easier if you hear it played with it's particular pattern.
Thesr are the songs I can play or am working on.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!1

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, as has been said many times, Chordie does not post the songs on the index directly. It searches for them and displays them in an easy to read format (when it can). Try having a look through some of the Public Song Books, maybe someone has added in the strum patterns after adding to their songbook.

Other than the places already suggested you'll just have to trust me that "the feeling" for strum patters WILL develop with time, practice and experience. I fully appreciate your frustration but, believe me, it will all come together if you stick at it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I am a beginner @ guitar and have taught myself geral chords but have grewat difficultal with timing, strumming. I have never had any lessons as I simply cant afford them and wondering is there any method of learning Strumming. yours h mallon

There are several song books out there that list the strum and pick patterns for various songs. Learning strum patterns can be very difficult if you don't know how / what to listen to. Every song has it's own tempo, rythem and beat. Have you ever listened to a song and caught yourself keeping time by tapping your toe on the floor, or your finger on a table top? If so, you can learn that strum pattern. Do your homework and learn how to listen first.
Most songs will be in a 3/4 or a 4/4 timing (to me a 4/4 song is much easier)
so you need to know how to count the beats. The count can be as simple as
1...2...3...4...1...2....3...4...1... This strum would be D - D - D - D -
or
1...2...&...3...&...4...&...1... This strum would be D - D - u - D - u - D - u - D
or
1..&..2..&..3..&..4..&..1... This strun would be D - u - D - u - D - & - D - u - D
and so on.

One simple way to listen to a song and learn the strum pattern is to tune everything out but the bass - listen for the bass beat. Or listen for the drums. Tune out all the guitar licks and riffs for the time being along with the lead guitar work. You got to concentrate on the rythem!!!

nela

I personally think that rhythm is something that you have to acquire through practice (like pretty much everything on the guitar lol). As a beginner, it was one of the most frustrating obstacles that i had to deal with in order to play songs the way I wanted them. At the same time, I think the struggle is necessary in order to develop your own personal ways of strumming. Everyone needs their own style. Also, as someone who is attempting to teach others how to play (friends mostly), I discovered that certain people have more difficulty trying to imitate others, rather than just trying to do their own thing.

One thing that helped me a lot when I was learning a song was to familiarize myself with the riffs/chords as much as I could so that I could play them without problems and make changes between the different parts quickly. After I would play a video or recording of the song and try to strum along with the beat.

The websites mentioned by the other members contain great tips and lessons as well. I would recommend checking out Justin Guitar for sure and also this site:

http://spytunes.co.uk/

On spytunes, you'll find a list of popular songs which are classified by difficulty level. Each video shows you what the guitarist is doing on the fretting hand and the strumming hand at the same time. It's a good visual tool, but remember to follow your ear more than your eyes. I think that developing a good ear is crucial, especially when you decide that it's time to jam it out with other people.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. The thing about music is that the journey is more important than the goal. So make sure you enjoy it and learn to laugh at yourself when you make a mistake instead of berating yourself. Music's supposed to be fun smile

I am new to this site and world of guitar but hav nt yet heard mike herberts name mentioned ( 6 string .com) this is a great site for raw beginners to advanced i think . justin guitar , spytunes and others often mentioned are certainly great sites as well but mike herberts way of teaching is at least equal to those if not( in my opinion) better. All guitarists ,beginners especially should suscribe. lots of excellent free stuff going there also

correction its 6-string-videos.com

I have been to his site. He is very good.  I downloaded Classical Gas from him.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.